PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything you can do about this situation???

ordinaryboy
02-19-2005, 02:06 PM
ok this has busted me out a few too many times today and im wondering if i could play these situations better or whether i have to deal with the villains being lucky and take the beats???

ok hero has JJ-AA and makes standard 4xBB raise with 1 caller.

flop comes 886 or 998 etc

hero bets 2/3 pot to pot and villain either calls or raises.

Now depending on how high my pp is what is my play?

surely it would be wrong to assume everytime that they have the set. Am i correct to push i have seen people call with two pair ace kicker or a lower PP thinking i have Ak/aq

So is it all dependant on stack size/opponent/my table image or it being party should i just take the bad beats when they hit their long shot flop and tell myself that its profitable in the long run or should i adjust my play???

cheers

theredpill5
02-19-2005, 02:17 PM
With a flop like 886 , it would depend on

1) how many people saw the flop
2) if 2 or less players saw the flop, your read on player who is raising you (is he tight, does he call raises with J 7 and crap or does he call raises with pocket pairs etc)

It is a tough situation.

A lot of times if you have KK and raise 4x blind, you will get reraised preflop with QQ - AA and even JJ so you will have an idea that he wouldn't have an 8 there.

Example, you raise 4x blind with AA (btw only raise 4x blind preflop with AA on a tight table with very few fish. On fishier tables, raise to 8 or 9x the blind to really weed out the players who have junk hands)

you get 5 callers.

Flop is 883

You bet the pot and get reraised. Chances are you are beat by someone with an 8. Fold. It's probability and reads. If you can combine the two, you will be a good player.

ordinaryboy
02-19-2005, 02:39 PM
ok few ideas there cheers

i agree with the fact that there being no re-raise pre-flop would/should have weeded out AA-KK and maybe QQ not sure about JJ. I disagree about raising 8x BB with AA as i think its better to have one standard raise otherwise im giving away information an observant opponent will notice my odd 8x BB raise see i have AA and then never call me with dominanted hands like any PP or Ak when i do it again.

my dilemma is when faced heads up not multi-pot

i agree with 4 maybe 3+ players if i get re-raised then i may grudgingly fold it. however im interested about how to play when called on flop

so

hero = QQ

flop 866

hero bets pot villain calls

say a blank falls what is my action? checking seems too weak

now also another question how many people would bet that flop if they raised with ak with only one caller, most i would imagine, villains know this and sometimes try to test you by calling/raising with low PP's. So the call could represent that and surely i would want to bet to stop them from getting their full house??

poboy
02-19-2005, 03:34 PM
I think what he is saying is that 8xBB should be your standard raise at a loose table. You should always raise as much as they are willing to call. As for your original question, it is very read dependant. If you think your opponent is trying to put a move on you or has misread the strength of your hand than you should stay aggresive throughout the hand. If it is a player who will only get involved when he can beat an overpair than it's a clear fold. It's kinda tricky because alot of players will play AT like the nuts on a flop of 88T, thinking that your holding overcards. JMO