PDA

View Full Version : KQo - This felt so, very, very weak.

JoshuaD
02-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Both Villians are fish. UTG is 59/7/.07/25, Button is 83/0/0.2/44. Both are pretty strong reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

einbert
02-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Bet the flop.

Turn and river are fine I think. After betting this flop, I'm probably checking behind on the turn and folding on the river. I might bet the turn against just one caller if he's pretty weak-tight and might fold a PP here.

This isn't that bad, but I bet the flop.

PhatPots
02-19-2005, 01:30 PM
U had to do it. If you know they are going to showdown, there is nosense in betting the flop or the turn or the river. I could see how you would bet the flop to try and get a free card, but you got a free card anyways. KQo is a marginal hand, the pot is small, you played it right. Esp. against these players

Cheers,
Pots

Luv2DriveTT
02-19-2005, 01:41 PM
There are two ways to play this hand. In both situations you most know your opponent well to make the right decision how to play the hand out.

1) Bet the flop, with the hope of geting a free turn card
2) Check the flop, bet the turn...after your opponents check through the turn its time to make your move. If your opponents had an A I'd assume they would have bet the turn by now since the flop was checked. The A looks like a scare card to me, take advantage of it! Of course there is the possibility of one of the players connecting the flop with a middle pair, or even having a gutshot draw... that must be considered.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

buzzbait
02-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I normally bet this flop. I don't think you are gonna get this free look at the river after checking the flop very often, even against players this passive. (The A hitting the turn is what prob made them check it) So, with a raised up pot preflop, I think it is worth it to bet the flop and give you a much better chance of seeing the river for free if you miss on the turn.

Redeye
02-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I would've bet the flop, but since you didnt I definately would've thrown one bet in on the turn after being checked to.

adamstewart
02-19-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
U had to do it. If you know they are going to showdown, there is nosense in betting the flop or the turn or the river. I could see how you would bet the flop to try and get a free card, but you got a free card anyways. KQo is a marginal hand, the pot is small, you played it right. Esp. against these players

Cheers,
Pots

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Phatpots,

Please look at your above post, especially the points that I have bolded.

Tell me, do you see anything wrong with your reasoning??

Bet this flop.

Adam

27offsooot
02-19-2005, 02:34 PM
2 opponents + checked to you + overcards = bet

JoshuaD
02-19-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the first time I've ever checked in this situation. I'm trying to work on honing my aggression, I think I went a little too far here. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

belloc
02-19-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So math really is the key to poker!

27offsooot
02-19-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm trying not to auto-bet the flop after raising as well, but i think that this situation is a definite bet.

deadmunny
02-19-2005, 02:47 PM
One or the other, Bet the flop or Bet the turn.... But you cant Raise PF and do niether...... IMHO Bet the flop.

Regards D

Bob Moss
02-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi Joshua, I don't think there's any other way of playing this hand. I don't know why anyone would advocate betting this flop. Getting value for King high?? Against these opponents you make your money when you flop a PAIR or better, not from bluffing them.

Bob

rmarotti
02-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Bet the flop!

Nate tha' Great
02-19-2005, 04:34 PM
As far as flops go, this is not a horrible flop to check if you're into that sort of thing. Still, I think betting is probably correct. Even if your bet doesn't take it down immediately quite often enough to show a profit, you should be able to either take a free card on the turn, or be able to make a profitable semi-bluff. You might even have the best hand after the flop. You need to be a little bit more cautious about auto-betting the flop against aggressive opponents, who are prone to check-raising. However, these guys are very passive and the risk of a check-raise is low.

Not betting the ace on the turn after you've been a nice enough guy to give them a free card is awful poker. You're going to take the pot down as often as half the time there.

Wired Jokers
02-19-2005, 05:49 PM
I situtations similar to this, I would advocate betting the flop 90% of the time. Here, I don't think a flop bet solves or helps anything.

1) You have solid reads on both your opponents.

2) The board is very coordinated. Any 9, 8, 4 or 3 is calling a flop bet (or if they hit any part of the board). You will not take it down here. However, your K and Q outs are probably good.

3) I would check the flop in this situation. But, once they checked to me again on the turn, I'm betting 100% of the time. Although these are not thinking players, they often will put you on AK, due to your flop check after the pre-flop raise. If called, and bet into on the river, I fold. A turn bet may also get you a free showdown.