PDA

View Full Version : 99 how bad is the river bet?

sfwusc
02-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Paradise Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

River: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

belloc
02-19-2005, 12:53 PM
It's fine. I'd have bet the turn, too.

chief444
02-19-2005, 12:57 PM
I think it's bad. Pretty much anything that calls you has you beat.

belloc
02-19-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's bad. Pretty much anything that calls you has you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is it a check/fold for you here? You certainly can't check/call.

einbert
02-19-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm betting the turn and check/calling the river here. Any T J Q or K couldhit to beat your hand on the river. Check/calling this turn seems bad to me. I think betting or check/folding are really the only options--if you plan to continue in this pot on the turn you should protect your hand in this fairly large pot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

After you checked the turn, I don't mind check/calling the river to hopefully induce someone with nothing to take a stab at the pot. You're not getting called by anything worse here I think, but you might induce a bluff from a worse hand by checking.

chief444
02-19-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? I think either option is better than betting. After the turn checks through it wouldn't be that unusual for a worse hand to take a shot at picking this up. I think it's pretty unlikely that you have UTG beat and I don't see him folding either. I'd say like 60% of the time or more he holds JJ-KK and calls and you lose. SB likely holds a weak Ace as well and certainly isn't folding. I don't think check/fold is a bad option at all here. I certainly wouldn't bet and I certainly wouldn't overcall.

einbert
02-19-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly wouldn't overcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree on that part too.

belloc
02-19-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

After you checked the turn, I don't mind check/calling the river to hopefully induce someone with nothing to take a stab at the pot. You're not getting called by anything worse here I think, but you might induce a bluff from a worse hand by checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I hadn't thought about inducing a bluff.

belloc
02-19-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? I think either option is better than betting. After the turn checks through it wouldn't be that unusual for a worse hand to take a shot at picking this up. I think it's pretty unlikely that you have UTG beat and I don't see him folding either. I'd say like 60% of the time or more he holds JJ-KK and calls and you lose. SB likely holds a weak Ace as well and certainly isn't folding. I don't think check/fold is a bad option at all here. I certainly wouldn't bet and I certainly wouldn't overcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about an action after having bet the turn, not checked it. What do you do if you've bet the turn and gotten one caller? Two callers?

einbert
02-19-2005, 01:24 PM
One or two callers on the turn and I'm checking the river and calling but not overcalling.

PhatPots
02-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't like it. You are most likely beat by a weak ace and maybe UTG has a bigger pair. With everyone checking your natural instinct is to bet. But I think you have to check/fold with so many others in the pot.

Cheers,
Pots

chief444
02-19-2005, 01:29 PM
I think betting the turn really depends on how often UTG will fold a better hand not including an A. It would have to be a pretty decent chance for me to bet.