PDA

View Full Version : How much does "Hold'em in my blinds" cost?

Moose
09-05-2002, 05:20 PM
It's a 5/10 PL Dealer's Choice game - either Omaha High or Texas Hold'Em. How much does it cost me, in terms of dollars and cents if possible, if it's Omaha High every hand EXCEPT the guy two to my right chooses Hold'em on his button, so that my big blinds are Hold'Em instead of Omaha?

How about if it's both my blinds?

Is this a big enough disadvantage that I'm justified in sitting out and posting both blinds behind the button when it's going to be Omaha High?

Any advice is of course appreciated.

M.

Greg (FossilMan)
09-05-2002, 05:51 PM
I don't see why it's necessarily a disadvantage for you at all, or an advantage either.

It just depends upon how well you and the opposition play holdem as opposed to omaha, and more particularly how well or poorly you play PLH out of the blinds.

I doubt it's a big deal compared to your overall win rate (or loss rate) in the game, unless you really suck at holdem.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Bozeman
09-07-2002, 01:05 AM
At limit, I'd say that hold'em in your BB costs at most .2 big blinds, but probably less in pot limit, at least in comparison to the (presumably larger) hourly rate. I would move if I could, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Craig

Erdnase
09-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi Boze,

If I read your post correctly, you are inferring, that being on the blinds in PLH is more costly than being on the blinds in PLO. How do you get that? Not necessarily the calcs, but the general reasoning?

I tend to agree with Fossilman. I think that very much depends on how you play both games vs. your opponents.

Some thoughts ?

Erd

Bozeman
09-08-2002, 09:16 PM
This is obviously game dependent, but in my experience, O is played more loosely and passively than H. At least partially because the flop needs to hit you to continue in O, while maybe not in H. Thus, you get more free flops in O than in H. In addition, the flop can even hit a bad hand harder in O. Because of this, you will probably get to play more hands with pot odds to continue, so your BB is dead money less often.

Craig