PDA

View Full Version : counting pot odds

bad beetz
09-05-2002, 05:17 PM
If you are playing a very loose passive $3/$6 B&M game, and 8 people are seeing the flop every time, do I need to be counting the exact pot odds at all times when I'm in a hand, or can I just estimate. It gets tiresome.

Uston
09-05-2002, 05:44 PM
You can estimate it if you want. You can completely disregard pot odds, too. No jury would convict you. I don't see how counting to a number which will almost always be less than 20 every fifth hand (I'm assuming you're a tight player) can be seen as tiresome. For me, counting bets is much easier than counting dollar amounts.

sucka
09-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Think of it this way. With 8 people in to see the flop you are going to be getting a solid 8-1 on the flop (If only half the players call 1 bet on the flop you are still going to get 6-1 on the turn). In this case you can think of it in terms of ANY drawing hand is worth playing. With 8 limpers you could safely come in with hands like 53s and get correct odds to draw.

If the pot was raised pre-flop then you are getting more than your money's worth to call with practically any reasonable drawing hand.

Other than that, there's no real reason to labor over dealing with pot odds in these types of games. The short of it is, as long as you are getting that many pre-flop limpers you are correct to call with any reasonable drawing hand - and in many cases raise with hands that could make potentials monsters like KQs, QJs, JTs etc...

Just my $.02