PDA

View Full Version : Yet more Nexgen pics with labels!

nolanfan34
02-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Jason did these. I'm very happy. I like the simple design.

The front of the chip has my family crest on it. Strong Arm is also the name of my homebrew label, so that's also a tie-in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/Pokerchipscrestclose.jpg

The back has the same text, and the WSU logo, my alma mater.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/Pokerchipscougclose.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/Pokerchipscoug.jpg

Overall, I like the Nexgens, and would recommend them for the price if you're in the $100-$150 range.

Richard Tanner
02-19-2005, 03:16 AM
I'm a denom fan, other than that, those are some damn fine chips.

Cody

msb
02-19-2005, 09:22 AM
That's a great design and they look great on those chips.

But, tell me... I notice that some of the designs are really off-center (especially noticeable on the blue chip). Was this by choice or is that a by-product of the printing process. If they are printing errors, what percentage of the chips look like this?

Thanks.

nolanfan34
02-19-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, tell me... I notice that some of the designs are really off-center (especially noticeable on the blue chip). Was this by choice or is that a by-product of the printing process. If they are printing errors, what percentage of the chips look like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wondered if someone would notice this. Seemed to be a byproduct of the printing process, not intentional for sure. Jason has mentioned before that it's easy for them to get slightly off-center. I think I magnified that by using a design that has a noticeable pattern right near the edge of the chip. If I did it again, maybe I would do that.

The blue chips are the most off-center, the whites and reds are all perfect. The other colors are OK with me, pretty close to perfect.

SamIAm
02-19-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jason has mentioned before that it's easy for them to get slightly off-center.

[/ QUOTE ]This is actually a substantial problem. I'm emailing Jason this weekend about a few pages of mine that aren't just off-center, but they're off-color. See, each circle label is enclosed in a square of color printing, in case the labels are off by a bit. However, on some of mine, the printing is SO far off, the edges of my green label have white crescents. I can deal with off-center designs, but it's bad when it goes so far as to highlight edges of the disc.

So far Jason has been really good about the labeling process. There were printing and shipping delays that WEREN'T his fault, but he apologized anyway. /images/graemlins/smile.gif He sent me a 2nd batch for free after the 1st printing problem, and I was really happy with the results. (Self-indulgent "My New Chips" post coming soon.) It's only a couple pages with dark backgrounds where the centering is really bad, and the white edges look crummy. (On some, the labels shifted down AND right, so there's white on the top AND bottom of the label.) I'll offer to pay him for the shipping if he'll send me a couple sheets of the misprinted.

I'll update this thread when I hear back.
-Sam

Cin0s3
02-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Sam, the colors are off? If any are showing white please let me know how many you need replaced! I am usually pretty dilligant about making sure the whole label is fully colored so i dont know how I missed that, but [censored] happens I'm sure. I print out about 300 sheets of labels a night and 1 or 2 may slip by but I stand behind my work 100% and will correct any mistakes without any cost to you as I did before.

Nolanfans design was the first one I've ever done that had an edge that was that crucial to get lined up but it is just impossible to get every single sheet dead center on a label unless you send them thru a million dollar press. In hindsite I would probably never do an edge design like that again. I thru away about 30 sheets of labels while printing his to try and get them right. Laser printers are not an exact print every time. I have owned 7 of them and not one has done it perfect, from the $5000 one I have now to the $400 I started with. As I said before I am usually pretty good about not sending white edges but they do ocasionaly slip by and I will replace them without questions.

Scott, if you are not happy with any of those let me know and i will get replacements out to you.

Sam pm me, email me or call me (508-752-2566 I'm on EST so just dontcall too late or too early)so I can know whats going on with yours. I used the same colors on yours that I used on mine so they should be pretty close.

Fins
02-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Pretty cool nolan... I like the way you incorp'd your brew logo but I think I like the obverse side better with the school logo. Nice to have both! Tough luck about the design and I can see why it was so hard to get it centered exactly. Still they look good.

Thanks for posting,
Fins

lighterjobs
02-20-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wondered if someone would notice this. Seemed to be a byproduct of the printing process, not intentional for sure. Jason has mentioned before that it's easy for them to get slightly off-center. I think I magnified that by using a design that has a noticeable pattern right near the edge of the chip. If I did it again, maybe I would do that.

The blue chips are the most off-center, the whites and reds are all perfect. The other colors are OK with me, pretty close to perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just got my labels and didn't have any problems with them. but if the labels were that much off-centered, i would have asked for some more labels.

i couldn't be happy with having chips that are this off-centered, especially if i invested in some nexgens.

i'm very happy with the work i had done on mine, so i doubt this happens a lot.

lighterjobs
02-20-2005, 02:40 AM
i like denoms a lot, that's the main reason i got my labels. how many chips do you have? how long did it take you label all those?

nolanfan34
02-20-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like denoms a lot, that's the main reason i got my labels. how many chips do you have? how long did it take you label all those?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll answer a few of the questions in this post.

- To Jason, in hindsite, I agree, the pattern around the outside of the label certainly makes it easier to see if it's slightly off center.

But frankly, I don't really care, I'm not that concerned about it, it's still so much better than my friends who have the crappy plastic metal insert chips. So no worries about replacing anything, I'm happy here.

- The logo on the "front" is the family crest for the Armstrong clan (my last name). It's hard to see in the pic, but the crest has Latin on the bottom, that means "we remain unvanquished". Just like I want to be at the poker table! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the WSU logo on the back too. Very happy with the crest on front though.

- As for a chip count, I bought 650 chips. 200 white, 150 red, 100 blue, 100 green, 50 black, 50 yellow. No rhyme or reason to that really. Just wanted to have a bit of each color.

- Took me about 3 evenings to apply all of the labels. Once I got the hang of it, I was getting them done pretty quickly.

SamIAm
02-20-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Took me about 3 evenings to apply all of the labels. Once I got the hang of it, I was getting them done pretty quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me about 15 seconds per label, or 30 seconds per chip. (2 sides) There's a post somewhere around here where somebody claimed they spent 30 seconds per side. They have to be absolutely crazy. I was pretty careful about lining up the labels, both with the chip and with the other side; I still made decent time.

For a while, I tried playing poker while applying labels. I usually play 3 or 4 tables of $5/$10, so I tried playing 2 while labeling. Didn't work all that well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif After that, I switched to movies. (I recommend "The Sting", "The Hustler", and "The Color of Money", but I was on a Paul Newman kick. Your mileage may vary.)

-Sam