PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for leaks

Kyle
02-19-2005, 01:00 AM
I have been running more than bad lately and I was wondering where I should start to look for leaks. After 21000 hands at 3/6 I am down 125BB. For my first 5K hands everything went well and I was winning at a rate of 3 BB/100 however my wonderful friend variance decided to show up and I took a 183BB downswing which lasted about 10K hands. This past week I recovered to up 10BB which was promtly followed by another 135BB swing. My stats are almost identical to 2/4 which I beat for 1.5BB after 15K hands. I am beginning to question whether I am even able to be the game. So I know I need to post some hands but I was looking for some suggestions on where to start looking for problem hands and or situations.

beachbum
02-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Try to increase your study to play ratio. Yes, post hands on here but read, reread, and re-reread SSH and HEPFAP to get the concepts down. I'm really enjoying the post-flop instruction in SSH right now. Also, when you play after studying diligently you'll see situations come up to apply your learned knowledge. Then, maybe post that hand to see if you properly grasped and applied the concept.

Kyle
02-19-2005, 03:04 AM
dsfd

thirddan
02-19-2005, 03:06 AM
you may want to head back to 2/4 for more hands...if you think that a 10k streak at 3/6 is just variance then you can't be too confident in your 15k sample from 2/4...

Kyle
02-19-2005, 03:21 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking myself. However I have run bad for 10K before but I will probably be better off heading back to 2/4 anyways.

mtdoak
02-19-2005, 03:38 AM
It sounds like to me its not just variance. While a bad 20k streak isn't impossible, its unlikley. My guess is this: Your a good poker player. However, during the streak, you've developed some bad habits and expect to lose most every hand. Your game is now afraid, agressive in all the wrong places.

Another issue might be your attitude. When your winning 3 BB/100, you attribute and it was because "I was winning", but when your losing its variance?

My advice: take a break. Look over some hand histories, in paticular, hands with the highest -BB/hand. Post some of them, get some feedback. Maybe screw around in micro limits or go hit up a B+M.