PDA

View Full Version : AKs UTG-didnt pull the trigger on the limp reraise

roy_miami
02-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Hi all, your thoughts on this hand?

15/30 10 handed. I've seen the game play looser, this is only the second hand I played in about 6 orbits.

Hero is UTG with AK diamonds

Preflop: Hero limps, a few tightish MP's limp, TAG button raises, BB calls, the rest of us call.

Flop: 674, 2 spades and a club

checked around

Turn: 5 of clubs

BB checks, I bet out...

I think not reraising preflop was pretty bad in retrospect. Also I'm not sure about what I was planning for the flop if the button had bet, probably a check raise. Anybody like the turn bet?

thanks

Paluka
02-19-2005, 12:28 AM
I think you absolutely have to reraise preflop. A TAG on the button could be raising hands like JTs with all the limpers in addition to normal raising hands. Once you miss on the flop against a field that big I would be done with the hand. I don't like the turn bet because you still have to make it through 2 or 3 limpers before you even get to the preflop raiser who checked the flop. If any of them were planning on checkraising the flop they are certainly raising you on the turn, and with the board that ugly you dont' even have enough to call the raise.

roy_miami
02-19-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero is UTG with AK diamonds

Preflop: Hero limps, a few tightish MP's limp, TAG button raises, BB calls, the rest of us call.

Flop: 674, 2 spades and a club

checked around

Turn: 5 of clubs

BB checks, I bet out...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet out and everybody folded.

My question is how much did my flat call preflop factor in to winning this pot uncontested? My opponents put me on the straight and may very well have folded a better hand, or at least a hand that was drawing live.

Did I have the best hand all along anyway and I just left alot of bets on the table preflop and on the flop?

Would my reraise have knocked out the MP limpers creating dead money? Is this a preferred result for a hand that likes lots of opponents?

Would my opponents put me on AA making it easier to pick up the pot unimproved?

Would my opponents have put me on AK making it more difficult for me to pick up the pot unimproved?

Had I reraised preflop I would have played it like I had AA post flop. I would have had no idea where I stood becuase its likely my opponents would just call down with any pair, maybe even with an overpair. The hand would have been much more dificult to play, especially with a 4 straight on board. The non-reraise preflop made the hand much easier to play post flop, but at what expense in profits?

steveyz
02-19-2005, 05:46 PM
My guess is no one had a pair. You had the best hand period, but just limping pf might have gotten your opponents to fold a hand that they were getting odds to draw to.

Paluka
02-19-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Had I reraised preflop I would have played it like I had AA post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a really bad idea. I would never reraise preflop if it was mandatory that I play badly postflop.

roy_miami
02-19-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Had I reraised preflop I would have played it like I had AA post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a really bad idea. I would never reraise preflop if it was mandatory that I play badly postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I would have pretended I had AA and raised and reraised all the way to the river. My typical play if I had openraised AK and it was 5 way to the flop would be to check fold on the flop or turn on a board like this. With the limp raise my opponents will all realize there is a good chance I have AA so firing an extra bullet or two should have at least some chance of success.

The problem is they will also know I could have AK or AQs or something so maybe they call me down with a small pair.

One thing they know for sure if I limp raise--I do not have a straight on the turn.

Paluka
02-19-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[One thing they know for sure if I limp raise--I do not have a straight on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This whole thread you seem to be looking at what came on the board and going backwards to determine what you should have done preflop to maximize. The board usually isn't going to have 4 to a straight on it.