PDA

View Full Version : Songs that get ruined by TV ceommercials

slickpoppa
02-18-2005, 10:47 PM
The Weight by The Band is a great song but is getting ruined by being used in Cingular commericials. The same thing happened with Baba O'Reily by The Who when it was used in car commercials

swede123
02-19-2005, 01:02 AM
It's sad that most people only recognize Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue because of United Airlines. It's such a great piece.

Swede

private joker
02-19-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's sad that most people only recognize Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue because of United Airlines.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean because of Woody Allen's MANHATTAN?

swede123
02-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Manhattan is a great movie, Allen's best if you ask me, but I don't think most people in their 20s and 30s even know about it, much less the music from it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Swede

Dynasty
02-19-2005, 01:16 AM
I don't understand why people think that songs get ruined in this way. It's like when people say a sequel ruins the orginal movie.

Can't you still enjoy the song?

captZEEbo1
02-19-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Weight by The Band

[/ QUOTE ]
was the one I IMMEDIATELY thought of. There have been plenty though. Also note: I'm 21 and own Manhattan wheee /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob Seger - Like a Rock got screwed too (by Chevy).

bort411
02-19-2005, 03:37 AM
I'd vote for "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop. It's used in a song for Universal Studios or something touristy like that. This tune, of course, is solely about herion abuse: something both the kids and parents can enjoy.

scotnt73
02-19-2005, 12:15 PM
everytime i hear that "days go by and still i think of you" song i think of that retarded chick doin the wave in that car commercial. i used to really like that song. now i cant listen to it anymore.

spamuell
02-19-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's like when people say a sequel ruins the orginal movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

A sequel can definitely ruin a movie.

Take The Matrix for example, where lots in the first movie is hinted at, and there are lots of exciting possibilities that can happen.

Once Revolutions was released and it became clear that none of the exciting possibilities did or could happen, the film lost a lot of its mystery and allure.

Freakin
02-19-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The same thing happened with Baba O'Reily by The Who when it was used in car commercials

[/ QUOTE ]

OOH!! you mean Teenage Wasteland /images/graemlins/wink.gif I want to [censored] kill people who call it that.

Freakin

Cry Me A River
02-20-2005, 12:37 PM
"Whip it" by Devo, now appearaning in possibly the worst commercial of all time - That mop thing with the OCD housewife.

Brock Landers
02-20-2005, 02:04 PM
The one that ruins my day every time I see it is the F'n Cadillac commercial with Zepellin's "Rock 'n Roll"

Corey
02-20-2005, 02:31 PM
In the exact opposite vein, the NBA whoring the crap out of the Black Eyed Peas in last year's playoff helped push them to a whole new level of popularity.

pshreck
02-20-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the exact opposite vein, the NBA whoring the crap out of the Black Eyed Peas in last year's playoff helped push them to a whole new level of popularity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Personally, I thought "Let's get retarded" were stupid lyrics, and "Let's get it started", in relation to sporting stuff, wasn't so bad.

Sponger15SB
02-20-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one that ruins my day every time I see it is the F'n Cadillac commercial with Zepellin's "Rock 'n Roll"

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I see a Cadillac I think of that song, and that makes it the best song in a commercial ever.