PDA

View Full Version : Stealing in the cutoff

Sandrine
09-05-2002, 11:06 AM
I posted a thread on RGP about a hand late in a limit tourney when being low in chips i raised KTo in the cutoff facing decent tight players in the blind and the button. I finally lost to the button (who was nearly chip leader with 30 players to go) when he decided to play his 1st trash hand of the game (67s) and got a board includin 8 9 T that kiked me out of the tournament. I had 2400T chips and average was 5000T chips or so and blinds were 200-400 (300-600 was comin in 2 mins or so).

Now everyone who answered me is bashin me for playin such a trashing hand!!! Ima little confused... In my situation, it was a clear raise!

What da ya think?

Greg (FossilMan)
09-05-2002, 01:08 PM
To make sure I have it right, everyone else had folded to you in the cutoff seat, and you raised with KT? If that is correct, then yes, it sounds like the right play to me. There is an excellent chance nobody has a better hand whether they would choose to play it or not. I know that if I'm the button, I'm laying down A6, let alone 76.

Too bad you caught top pair and he caught a straight. He was mistaken to call your preflop raise, IMO. Though there might be some reasons to make the call correct.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Ignatius
09-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Open raising with KT from the cutoff is standard play and given that you only had 3 (soon to be 2) big bets left, passing up on that opportunity would have been a serious mistake.

The button should never have called with 76s for 1/3 of the effective stack and the fact that he got lucky doesn't matter at all.

cu

Ignatius

Boylermaker
09-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Based on the info you provided, I would agree with you -- in your situation its a clear raise.