PDA

View Full Version : Zonk! To play is to win

droolie
02-18-2005, 08:21 PM
(This was a popular game when I was in college many moons ago and seems like just the thing to share with you hosers)

Zonk! To play is to win.

Begin with 5 dice, a piece of paper and a crayon for scoring. Roll all five dice and see what you
get.

-1's are 100pts
-5s are 50pts
-3 of a kind is that number X 100pts (except 3 1's are
1000)
-a straight w/5 dice rolled at one time is 1500

If you roll no points at all you Blodz and lose your
turn. If you roll any points you can keep rolling
or stop.

If you decide to keep rolling then you must leave at
least 1 die untouched for every roll. (eq: first roll
leave at least 1 die, 2nd roll leave at least 2 dice,
etc until you either decide to stop or until each of
the 5 dice have points. If all 5 dice have points then
you MUST roll all 5 dice and continue gaining points.

Keep rolling as many or as few dice as you wish until
you decide to stop and take the points, or until you
roll no points and Zonk! thereby losing all points gained that turn.
- Zonk! means you rolled nothing.
- you "win" a bong hit for each 1000 pts
- game is to 10,000 pts
- landing on and ending your turn at 6900 is a bonus
binger.

Forgetting your turn when playing Zonk is called a Vanna, and you lose your turn.

If you pick up the dice when you should not have or get too high that you throw the dice across the room or do anything
stupid while playing Zonk! then you Blodz and lose your turn.

FatMan
02-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I love that game. We call it 10,000. We play that you have to have a minimum of 1000 points to get on the board. After that you can stop any time you want and keep your score.

Alobar
02-18-2005, 09:02 PM
I used to play this game with my grandma when I was little

BadBoyBenny
02-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Used to be the master of Zonk. We played it with a few additional rules.

4 of a kinds were 1000 + the value of a 3 of a kind.
5 of a kinds were 2000 + 3 of a kind value
Full house was the value of the 2 3 of a kinds added together.

Big rolls, 3 of a kinds, straights, etc only count if it was a 5 dice roll.

You must keep track of the total for your roll exactly in your head or you get nothing. This gets more difficult as the scores get higher and/or the rolls get longer.

If you have a sloppy roll (dice off the table, knock a die over after it was settled) you lose your turn.

If the bowl is unfinished after the game, the winner gets first hit on top of his 10,000 point hit as a bonus, and it rotates to the left.

Funny thing is I had one friend who would never win the game, if he got to 10,000 he would keep rolling, take his hit and go back to 9,000. I would come from behind on him sometimes and there would vigorous debate as to who was the true winner, him for getting more hits, or me for winning the game.

droolie
02-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Here are more rules that sound real fun. (They don't use the terms blodz and vanna maybe I should email them)

http://www.420-movies.com/FUN_STUFF/ZONK.ASP

1. If you're in the middle of a hand and you zonk, it's the next person's turn.
2. If it is not your turn and you zonk, you will be skipped on your next turn. Zonks are cumulative.
3. Dice must all be picked up at once in one sweeping motion. Dropped dice or "sloppy dice" will count as a Zonk.
4. You may not touch the dice unless it is your turn.
5. You may not call a person by any name but their nick-name for the game.
6. You may not pick your own nick-name.
7. In rolling, you may not hit anything else on the table. (cups, bong, other people)
8. In Re-rolling, you may not hit any of the dice you kept.
9. Any time you roll dice, at least one of the dice you roll must be scoring.
10. In keeping die, you MAY move them to a different part of the table by sliding them. If you flip a die, you zonk.
11. Once you touch a die, you must keep it. (unless you're picking it up to re-roll it)
12. If you touch a die you can't keep, you zonk. (unless you're picking it up to re-roll it)
13. If you break up a straw hat, you zonk. Example, if you roll a 1,2,3,4,5 you cannot keep the one and five and re-roll the rest. A straw hat is all scoring dice (see next rule) and worth 1000 points.
14. You must continue rolling if you get all-scoring die because you're in Limbo.
15. You must remember your own score when you're in Limbo. If you ask the scorekeeper to record an incorrect score, you zonk. The scorekeeper must announce the score he's keeping so that others may verify that it is correct.
16. If you "space" and it's your turn, you get zonked. An average time is 10 seconds. So if it's 10 seconds into your turn and you're sitting there picking your nose and humming along to Terrapin Station, you zonk. If you have a valid reason and announce it, you can delay your roll. (Like if you're packing the bowl).