PDA

View Full Version : Label design feedback

fishfeet
02-18-2005, 06:48 PM
My photoshop skills are minimal. So disreguard rough looking images (im getting better though!)

What would you change?
Do you think the naked lady silhouette design is classless? (I am in college and play with people my age, 23, or younger.. including a handfull of females)

http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/redchip.jpg
color needs work on this one

http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/redchip4.jpg

http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/redchip5.jpg
same as above, but reversed colors

full set

http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/allchips2.jpg

another full set, without the naked lady silhouette

http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/diamonds.jpg

some of the denominations are hard to read. Ill have to adjust a few to make them easier to read.

Feedback appreciated.

Lottery Larry
02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Why would you kill anyone over Photoshop? Did they print pictures that you didn't want to come to light?

As to your chips- with a mixed crowd, I wouldn't do the female shapes- why risk driving off potential players? That said, I like the middle design the best of the three- it's pretty funky.
The last design should hit the trashcan, the first design just looks crude in style.

TwinTowers
02-18-2005, 09:24 PM
I think the naked lady is fine. Im a high school teacher and have a daughter, and I dont think young women would find those offensive (Im a man, however /images/graemlins/cool.gif)
Of the top 3 labels, I like the middle the best. The spade and the rest of the suits could be worked into the set for variety.
And not to be rude, but the boob needs some work. A little off the top, round out the bottom, and fill out the flat front area. You know, the area where the "good" part is /images/graemlins/blush.gif

fishfeet
02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And not to be rude, but the boob needs some work. A little off the top, round out the bottom, and fill out the flat front area. You know, the area where the "good" part is

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the first 3 images are very rough... If I pursued that style more I would certainly clean it up.
I learned new tricks and tools to help me out, but Im still a photoshop newbie.
When I choose a final design I would hand it over to Jason to fine tune everything.

I just posted these for feedback on design, not quality /images/graemlins/grin.gif

young nut
02-18-2005, 10:09 PM
dat ho got some ghetto booty /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fishfeet
02-20-2005, 09:57 PM
New design.
I go to East Carolina University.. our mascot is the Pirates, so I thought this logo would be very appropirate.

Thoughts?

http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/skulls.jpg

Caruso329
02-21-2005, 02:23 AM
The boobs on that girl are hideous. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I like the middle one out of the first three and agree that they would be fine in a mixed-sex environemnt. I'm sure you can find a better image of her on google. Do an image search for "trucker girl" or "mudflap girl".

The third one is hideous also IMO.

I actually like the 4th one best overall. The purple is two dark on the red chips though. Lighten it up a tinge and it'll be nice.

tubalkain
02-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Why the nonstandard denoms? I'd have gone with $100 black, $500 purple, $1k yellow... but that's just me.

The silhouette looks good.

fishfeet
02-21-2005, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The boobs on that girl are hideous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I ATTEMPTED to tell people that the first few images are very rough because my photoshop skills are horrible. The lady image you see in the first 3 images is the same one you see on the first full set. As I was doing this I learned new tricks so that it wouldnt look as rought.

Also, the colors I have used are just EYEDROPPED. Meaning, they are not exact. All of that will be finetuned later. I just need design feedback, not quality /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The denominations i have used are arbitrary. However, in my home game we do use a non-standard set of values anyway.
1, 5, 10, 25, 50 is all we use. We only start out with 500 in chips. A 1000k chip isnt necessary.
The yellow and purplee chips will probably be used for cash games.. so they wont be $100 and $500 chips.

msb
02-21-2005, 02:23 PM
I like those much better. They really look good.

And, when it's time to sell them to upgrade your set... the school logo will probably increase their value when selling to a freshman.

Fins
02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like those much better. They really look good.

And, when it's time to sell them to upgrade your set... the school logo will probably increase their value when selling to a freshman.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree... and good idea about reselling down the road.

The design looks good just thought I'd throw out a suggestion to work on the background color to match the base chip color a little better as they seem a little too dark in my opinion but it could be a monitor thing. Like the white chip could be a lot lighter gray, and the blue chip could be a lighter blue, red chip more maroon or lighter maroon etc...

- Fins

ashVID
02-21-2005, 05:11 PM
A little tip... put in some bleed that is the same color as the chip around the edge or atleast shrink your graphics so they dont extend to the edge of the label. It is almost impossible to get every label centered and some bleed or a slightly smaller graphic will make the chips that are a little off more bearable.

ash =o)

fishfeet
02-21-2005, 05:21 PM
http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/skulls2.jpg

I lightened them up a bit. Any better?

[ QUOTE ]
put in some bleed that is the same color as the chip around the edge or atleast shrink your graphics so they dont extend to the edge of the label.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wont be printing them. Ill leave that to jason since he probably has it down to a science by now. Hes going to tweak the images a bit so they look better and will print better.

Cin0s3
02-21-2005, 06:02 PM
If I could make one suggestion it would be to swap the colors, You/I will never get them exact when printing (due to CMYK color and plastic color) I would do the background colors in the edge spot color and the skulls in the chip color. There will be just enough seperation between the edgespot and the label where it can be off a hair and you wont know but if you use the chip colors it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Fins
02-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I like the lighter versions better... at least on my monitor. Jason may have a good point about the slight diff in color matching sticky out if the bkg is the chip base... be interesting to see what they look like if you switch the colors around. I wonder if you'll have to mess with the black skull's stroke??

- Fins

fishfeet
02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/skulls3.jpg

Ok, here is a quick redo of swapping the colors. Overall I still like them...

alittle
02-21-2005, 06:53 PM
I think these look great!

Fins
02-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Cool, I think they look good. I might consider using the $10 & $50 from the first for two reasons... mainly those two stand out more as kind of a negative look and also for the $50 it won't look as much like the $500... just a thought.

- Fins

fishfeet
02-21-2005, 07:02 PM
I too preferred the original blue chip... but it wouldnt look right if you have one chip that is reverse of all the others. And, as jason mentioned, it will be hard to match the chip color.
I can deal with the blue chip. I tried to do some tweaking to it. Looking at the actual chip, the edgespot is more pure white than the picture shows. So that means I can make the background pure white, rather than a light grey, and maybe add grey 'sun rays' instead. That might look better.

as for some chips looking the same...I wont have a $100 or $500 chip. Those values are just on there for now. If I do have a $100 chip, it will be the black one, which means I wont have a $50. Not exactly sure how I will do it)

Cin0s3
02-21-2005, 07:09 PM
I would do white with light blue rays.

fishfeet
02-21-2005, 07:11 PM
kinda like this?

http://personal.ecu.edu/cde1119/blueskull3.jpg

Cin0s3
02-21-2005, 07:35 PM
exactly like that

msb
02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
I like those much better... those are some sweet looking labels (makes me wish I went to ECU /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Anborn
02-21-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like those much better... those are some sweet looking labels (makes me wish I went to ECU /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a thing in the world that could make me think that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slow Play Ray
02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Excellent design. These look great!

fishfeet
02-22-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a thing in the world that could make me think that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.. i used to think so too.
I start my college career out at Penn State for Mechanical Engineering... quickly learned I didnt want to do that. I could if I wanted to, but I would be bored out of my mind for the rest of my life.
Then I went to State part time for 2 years to figure out what the hell I wanted to do.
Found out about the Construction Managment program at ECU. Looked into it, learned alot about the field, and decided to go for it.
Its a great program here.
Athletics are pisspoor, people are dumb as a brick.. but now I just may get a degree before Im 30!!! meh. graduated HS in 2000 in Raleigh. Its time for me to get out of here and get on with my life.

Anyway - I printed out the labels on some paper with my little old HP deskjet. Glued them to the chips just to get a good idea of how they will look.
They still need some color work to match better.. but overall they look great. I cant wait to have them /images/graemlins/grin.gif