PDA

View Full Version : Shaving. No, not your balls for once

Freakin
02-18-2005, 06:05 PM
I hate shaving. I get terrible razor burn. I've tried everything. I currently use Aveeno theraputic shave gel (oatmeal based), a Mach3 Turbo, and gilette aftershave gel (no alcohol, i think). Warm water to wet the face, cool water to wash it afterwards. What tips do you guys have?

B

BusterStacks
02-18-2005, 06:11 PM
I get bad razor burn with my electric shaver. I hate it.

tdarko
02-18-2005, 06:13 PM
yeah i feel your pain man i get really bad razor burn (mostly on my neck). but i found this helps best for me: i use a brush to wet my face with warm water and then to apply Origins "Blade Runner" shaving cream. Then i shave with the Mach3 turbo like normal but after i use an Origins after shave called "Fire Fighter," this takes the sting out. Then after that i put this stuff called Tend Skin on, i had to get it from my Dermatologist so if you can't get that then i recommend Origins products cause they help me.
it's a pain in the ass and expensive but my razor burn is gone /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Asufiji2004
02-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Try Kiehls shave cream. It's a little pricey about 15 bucks, but it has camphor to numb your face and for the most part gives a nice clean smooth shave.

AngryCola
02-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I used to get bad razor burn, but I found the solution.

Just don't shave!

That way, you can end up looking as much like Sasquatch as I do.

wonderwes
02-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I get razor burn on my norelco electric razor if I let it go over a week.

Personally I use an electric because I am a lazy bastard. Also I just dont dig the shaving cream.

Dead
02-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Use a Norelco electric razor.

I used to have the problems that you do but now I use a Norelco electric razor and all the problems went away.

I recommend at least a Quadra action. Their high-quality razors are very nice.

Don't forget pre-electric shave. I use Williams' Lectric Shave. It feels nice.

And I get a closer shave than I did with a manual, with no razor burn.

Sometimes I go 4 or 5 days without shaving and it still shaves it clean off without pain and without razor burn or bumps.

turnipmonster
02-18-2005, 06:27 PM
I use a mach 3 with no shaving cream or anything, just water. never get razor burn.

tdarko
02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use a mach 3 with no shaving cream or anything, just water. never get razor burn.

[/ QUOTE ]
man i hate you /images/graemlins/mad.gif

shadow29
02-18-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Bubu
02-18-2005, 06:46 PM
don't use the mach3. I find that I get better results with the sensor excel - and less razor burn.

astroglide
02-18-2005, 06:51 PM
more like for thrice. there are at least 2 other threads on this subject.

tdarko
02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
thank you i will try the sensor today.

whiskeytown
02-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I think the women have it right...I shave while taking a shower - send all that crap down the drain.

Usually only once every 2-3 days though. I'll just take some Noxeama, lather up, take a plain ol' blue cheapo blade, and scrape away - sometimes my skin looks a little dry, but no razor burn.

I wouldn't say it's a full beard though...it looks like a regular beard with early signs of hair loss.

I may start shaving it more though. I color my hair which is 50 percent grey and I'm starting to see more in the whiskers too.

RB

The Goober
02-18-2005, 07:33 PM
I find I get the best shave if I can get my face as hot as possible first. I like to do it after a long hot shower so the bathroom is like a sauna. Before I get out of the shower, I make the water as hot as I can stand it and spray it on chin and neck for as long as I can stand it. If I can't shower first, I'll run a face cloth under really hot water and press it on my face first, but this isn't usually as effective. I use a Mach 3 (not turbo, haven't tried one yet) and edge sensitive skin shaving gel (although I used to have a tub of kiehls - it smells bad and is hard to apply, but it did give a very nice shave).

Matty
02-18-2005, 07:36 PM
This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to get some kind of electro-laserolysis or whatever that would take away my need to shave for the rest of my life?

I'd pay quite a bit for that.

Brainwalter
02-18-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do too.

I think my dad does the same thing with the disposable bics.

sublime
02-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I get bad razor burn with my electric shaver. I hate it.

what brand?

i use a panasonic wet/dry that is awesome. i aply a little neutrogena after shave lotion afterwardas and feel like a million bucks.

traditional razors are not good for your face

B Dids
02-18-2005, 07:52 PM
You're obviously drunk.

M3 Power is the shaving nuts.

tdarko
02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
me too.

AZK
02-18-2005, 08:09 PM
I used to get really bad razor burn too, it's gone down ever since I started shaving in the shower, at the end after the hairs and pores on your face have been subject to the hot water. I also wash my face with pre-shave gel from neutrogena or nivea, seems to improve the shave, I use the shaving cream from nivea for sensitive skin too. Afterwards I've started using the old spice aftershave, I've found it works a million times better than say gillette aftershave because it's like a goo and really coats your face rather than just rubbing on like other water-type aftershaves, you should check it out. Also the more frequent you shave the less rash I find since the hairs don't ahve time to irritate my skin. Depending on how rough your beard is you might consider replacing blades frequently, that will help too.

wacki
02-18-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to get some kind of electro-laserolysis or whatever that would take away my need to shave for the rest of my life?

I'd pay quite a bit for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

Dead
02-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Doesn't it look stupid though?

wacki
02-18-2005, 08:23 PM
no

thatpfunk
02-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Instead of using aftershave, buy facial lotion and apply after shaving. It saves my skin.

BadBoyBenny
02-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Pick something and stick with it. Going back and forth from electric to a safety razor is a sure way your skin never adjusts.

Also, after rinsing with cool water, try rubbing an ice cube on your neck.

Dead
02-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Oh ok.

I still don't think I'd do it.

Because I like having some stubble sometimes and I might want to grow a full beard again later in life.

wacki
02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because I like having some stubble sometimes and I might want to grow a full beard again later in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. Yet, I don't get razor burn. Maybe if these guys shaved in the shower (or immediately after) they wouldn't either.

Freakin
02-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Well I appreciate all the responses. But I gotta share a great new method I've adapted for reducing razor burn. I got a beard trimmer, and use it on the lowest setting. I shave my neck clean, of course; I'm no savage. Maybe I'll give a few of these other methods a try. Or maybe I'll go with a one or two-blade razor instead. As must as I love the soft feel of my cleanly shaven face, tiny hairs >> razor burn.

Freakin

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-18-2005, 09:42 PM
wheres the "i hate shaving so i have a massive beard" option?

MHarris
02-18-2005, 10:17 PM
My facial hair is really thick, so I need to use both an electric and a Mach III to get a good, clean shave. I used to get a pretty bad razorburn every time I used the Mach III, but I've gotten through that. Here's what I'd recommend: Take an almost hot washcloth and hold it over the areas of your face that you're shaving. This will soften your skin a little bit. Apply gel/cream, then run Mach III under hot water for about 30 sec. Rinse the razor with hot water every couple of strokes, then go through your post-shave routine.

stanky
02-18-2005, 10:34 PM
I use a remington electric.

Shave right after you get out of the shower, thats when the hairs on your face are at their softest.

-Pete

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 10:41 PM
please tell me you shower before shaving.

Freakin
02-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Of course. And I usually soak my shaving gel in hot water while I'm showering so its nice and warm when I use it. And I let it sit on my face for 30-60 second before I start so it can further soften my hair. I've got most of the angles covered.

Freakin

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 11:00 PM
wow, and you still get razor burn. I don't know what to say other than man up and deal with it.

Dead
02-18-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. Yet, I don't get razor burn. Maybe if these guys shaved in the shower (or immediately after) they wouldn't either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or use an electric.

I can't use my electric in the shower(I know you can use some in the shower, but not mine), but I always shave before I shower. I think it works out better with an electric.

If I was still using a manual though, I'd definitely shower before shaving. That way the hairs are standing up. I'd also use some stuff before hand to get them standing up even more.

I really think people underrate electric razors. The ones of 10-15 years ago sucked ass, but these Norelco's of the past 5 years and newer are definitely high quality and high powered.

Benefits to using an electric:

You can't nick yourself(well you can irritate yourself, but you reallly have to try).

No messy shaving cream

No new blades every week(just replace these rotaries once a year for 25 bucks).

cold_cash
02-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Do you shave with the grain or against it?

If you go against it, you might as well do your shaving with a cheese grater.

stanky
02-18-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I usually soak my shaving gel in hot water while I'm showering so its nice and warm when I use it...

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds awesome. I'm almost thinking about ditching my electric just so I can experience that.

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I usually soak my shaving gel in hot water while I'm showering so its nice and warm when I use it...

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds awesome. I'm almost thinking about ditching my electric just so I can experience that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am gonna try this too.

plaster8
02-19-2005, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really think people underrate electric razors. The ones of 10-15 years ago sucked ass, but these Norelco's of the past 5 years and newer are definitely high quality and high powered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the one with the shaving gel packets built in. It's fantastic. And the gel packets last a while -- it's not like you have to replace those every week or anything. (Once a month, maybe?)

Add some aftershave gel, and I've never had razor burn. I highly recommend the Norelcos.

Dead
02-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Ah the Advantage with the Nivea. Yeah that is nice. I use a dry one, the Quadra Action, and I like it.