PDA

View Full Version : Whiskeytown's Vegas Trip report - Part 1

whiskeytown
02-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Whiskeytown trip report – Las Vegas –

So, as was common knowledge, I spent this week in Lost Wages – been some wonderful trip reports of that event, but I’ll give you a bit of my own since I’m sorta not up to playing cards today after 4 days straight….LOL

SUNDAY: - Starstruck

The morning starts off positive EV – I head from work after 7am to the airport via light rail, get my flight (I have 4 hrs to kill before it goes but I didn’t feel like going home) and I find that I still have time for the 9:30 flight if the line thru security is short… - free tkt. transfer and all – SO, I rush to the gate, sit for 10 min, board, and I’m on my way 4 hrs early. I have to get a hold of Felicia and tell her not to come pick me up at 4pm, but come 10am local time, I am at the airport. The line there is around the block, but after 20 minutes, a cab arrives to get me to the Imperial Palace –

First thing I do is lose the army jacket (I won’t wear it again pretty much the whole trip except my first night walking the strip – I don’t know what the crowd is like and if there is danger, that jacket sort of tells everyone to stay away) – Head over to the Imperial Palace, and get myself in one of those 77 person tourneys that Felicia always warns me about – an exceptionally flat payout makes 10-8th pay the same and it’s only 4 times less then 1st. I make it to 8th when I bust out – I made the right call at the right time on the turn but got the wrong goddamn card. Ah well. – good start anyways.

Great story here. We’re down to 18, and one guy has a massive chip lead but has a plane to catch. He doubles me up playing [censored] cards (thank you) but wins a few from others too. Finally at 17, he says his wife won’t forgive him if he’s late – (whipped, obviously) – He goes to the floor, leaves his address, and proceeds to get blinded off. However, he doesn’t lose all his chips till 6th place. That means I lost 2 places in the lineup to a guy who was gone 45 minutes ago….LOL – I guess the place mailed him his money.

I mark myself as a tourist right away when I ask the cocktail waitress for a whiskey and ask her how much when she brings it. I continue to ask them every time they bring one the whole week. I know it’s free, I just like hearing them say it. Beautiful women giving me free booze at a poker game I’m winning it….does it get any better without getting R-rated?

Then, over to the Mirage – I’ve gotten a voicemail from Luv2driveTT and when I get to the Mirage an hr early, I see a seat at a table right by the entrance, so I sit down at 3/6 and wait for the rest to show up. Felicia and Glenn show up at 5pm (having looked for me at the IP and just missed my busting out) and we go to California Pizza Kitchen where they scrap together a meat lover’s pizza for me – All is good as we head to drunk magoo poker with 2+2’er’s and Mason and Ed Miller – (I’d have brought their book to sign had I known BOTH were coming….it was at the hotel, crap) –

The stories of drunk magoo poker are well documented – Me mucking when I have the rock and a mandatory straddle – Ed looking way to young (and suspiciously like a pothead to me with that long hair….you on the wacky weed, ed? - J ) – Stabn, Accident, Felicia, Glenn, Al Capone, Luv2Drive, The Dude. Me, Mason and Ed Miller – damn – I’m missing someone…sorry guys. I can’t remember if Stabn’s significant other played or if she just watched - I was a bit blurry by then on 36 hrs of no sleep and 7 shots of Bushmills during the tourney 2 hrs. before.

Anyways, I bail as everyone else is bailing about 9pm. The plan is to go to bed, get up and start fresh and awake, but as my feet hit the strip and the hotel, and I walk out onto the small balcony, I realize that going to bed early in Vegas feels as wrong as passing up a free roll in the hay with a cheerleader – it’s a sin against humanity.

So I grab the walkman, and walk down to catch the show that is the Bellagio fountains. I’ve seen these on the travel channel, and I’m aware of the issues they had building them, but I am so damned impressed I can barely breathe. It’s like watching comets or shooting stars going up in front of you sometimes. Having done that, I am content to go back at 10pm and sleep like the dead for about 8 hrs.

One funny note – at the Mirage before the gathering, I run into a woman named Rachel – she fits the stereotypical retired woman who now plays poker and comes to Vegas several times a yr. She asks me if I’ve ever heard I look a bit like Russell Crowe (I’ve heard that several times….and they remember my name even more when I tell them I’m actually Russell Brown) – This is important in the days to come – LOL.

MONDAY – this town is tough?

Another day at the Imperial Palace tourneys…. they’re mostly freezeout with one rebuy and one add-on. I HATE rebuys, but in this case, I just consider it a $65 tourney instead of a $40 tourney. I end up sitting next to a couple beautiful women during the tourney, and am glad I changed into clean clothes. Alas, my styling black boots get me nowhere, and I am left disappointed. I did get 4th in the tourney though, for a small chunk of change. I manage to catch Accident for about an hr. before the tourney as he comes over to play before catching a plane. – but that is the last 2+2er I see before the plane ride out.

Well, I HAVE to go to Bellagio and play. – So I head over there, and almost double up in 5 min. on a 4/8 game – I see Rachel again (as she shouts Russ when she sees me…LOL) – and she tells me she’s heading over to Flamingo – I spend the next 2 hrs dropping my winnings and leave Bellagio about 9 bucks up. I then go to Flamingo and play the WORST poker players I have ever seen. I struggle with this cause I’m down 100 bucks after 3 hrs….but I KNOW that the cards will come, and their luck can’t hold up. But I play on the same table with Rachel and her hubby and feel like I’ve been playing with them for the last yr. -

So I toss it around….go to bed and rest (I wasn’t getting the best sleep at nights….big pillows or whiskey…not sure which) – or grind it out. I didn’t think I could play my best poker pissed at getting run down and being tired/wore out. – So again, I pack it up and head out, satisified with my $24 profit for the day… - (hey, if you can eat and drink free, that’s half the reason I play poker…LOL)

part 2 is here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1759899&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

RB

FeliciaLee
02-18-2005, 05:07 PM
It was great meeting you, Russ. And yes, I ate the rest of your pizza myself. The sausage got a little tough, so I fed it to my Yorkie, but the rest was just awesome. Now if they'd just go back to the sauce they used in the 80's and 90's...

You had a really good run. For a lot of people, it takes a few trips to start winning in Vegas. Not that it isn't easy, it's just that people get caught up in the lights and action all around them, and end up making poor decisions. You weren't one of them, you won right off the bat!

I was in a really foul mood on Sunday. Yes, I was happy that my blood sugar stablized enough for me to attend, and I did try to keep up a happy face, for the most part, but I was mega grumpy, not playing well and just angry in general, following the beating I'd taken for two weeks at Commerce!

Probably I shouldn't have come, but I wanted to meet you, and the sun was shining. No choice! LOL.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif