PDA

View Full Version : Weak or standard

JDErickson
02-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Seeing lots of this play at Party 3/6 lately. Opponent is 46/2

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.66 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jh As (one pair, aces).
Button has 9s Kd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.66 BB. </font>

After the hand I always feel weak calling the raise. How do others handle this situation?

belloc
02-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Against a better opponent (one who doesn't coldcall raises without a decent hand) this might be a c/c, c/c, bet the river sort of scenario, where you're way ahead or way behind on this board. But if he's as loose as your stats show, he could be holding a smaller AX, or K8s, or just about anything. Bet until he tells you to stop. Which he did on the river, so you're probably beat, but against this player you might have to call this bet. (I didn't look at the results.)

EDIT: I looked at the results. Wow. Right-click, Player Notes.

Fat Nicky
02-18-2005, 03:30 PM
I don't see many players do this in this spot when they can't beat 1 pair of Aces. If villain has passive postflop stats after a significant amount of hands, i'll fold, but other than that, i suck it up and call.

Rafael_Luiz
02-18-2005, 03:34 PM
You have to ask which hands the K on the river improved to beat your aces. If he had AK or AQ, you were already in trouble, but he would have raised the flop or turn. Same with a set in most cases. After eliminating these hands, you can fear K8 K5 and K2, all of which would be loose preflop calls, but hey - he is loose. A reraise seems to make sense thinking about the hands that now beat you and the odds he has one of them, but it isn't the obvious play, especially considering if he's bluffing he'll fold anyway, and if you are beat, you risk the 4-bet.

Fat Nicky
02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A reraise seems to make sense thinking about the hands that now beat you and the odds he has one of them, but it isn't the obvious play, especially considering if he's bluffing he'll fold anyway, and if you are beat, you risk the 4-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

no

spydog
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I should fold these against passives, but I have a hard time ever folding TP headsup. I would be slightly concerned with Villian making a last stab attempt at the pot with a busted flush draw if he's any way aggressive. I think you got lucky here as against most 46/2 opponents you are toast when they raise the river in this spot.

NOTE: You probably should cut the hand history off at your river decision for better feedback.

private joker
02-18-2005, 03:40 PM
This is pretty standard. You obviously shouldn't fold to this raise, but what are you gonna do: 3-bet a pair? Think of the number of hands that will call your 3-bet that you beat, vs. the number of hands that will call that beat you and that will cap that beat you. 3-betting this river would be chip-spewing and you should probably control that instinct. But don't fold to random raises either. Calling is the only logical action in this situation.

belloc
02-18-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to ask which hands the K on the river improved to beat your aces. If he had AK or AQ, you were already in trouble, but he would have raised the flop or turn. Same with a set in most cases. After eliminating these hands, you can fear K8 K5 and K2, all of which would be loose preflop calls, but hey - he is loose. A reraise seems to make sense thinking about the hands that now beat you and the odds he has one of them, but it isn't the obvious play, especially considering if he's bluffing he'll fold anyway, and if you are beat, you risk the 4-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't reraise here, this is a fold against a decent player, and a call against a loose player.

flair1239
02-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I have seen it a lot too. The solid players are doing it with their small aces and the bad players, have started doing it with any pair. Anyway pretty standard for your part, I don't know that you want to get into the habit of folding TPGK for one bet on a board that is not really that intimidating

There is a time and a place for that play, but a lot of people just use it for an excuse to be passive, with a hand that makes them uncomfortable. (EDIT: refering to the call-call-raise play)

LotusBoy
02-18-2005, 04:07 PM
I have seen some of this lately. I will 3-bet to gamble against if he has cold-called PF with K8s or K5s, any sets 8,5,2 would've shown up in flop or turn already. And most of all, He will call 3-bet if he improved to K pair because he is loose. If he is not that loose, 3-bet has less +EV.

I think He was thinking you bluffed your busted flush draw, ,which a lot people does, or betting mid pair against another draw all the way.
But he made a mistake of raising, instead of calling, with his bluff catcher.

private joker
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will 3-bet to gamble

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a poor idea. Please don't do this if you wish to become a winning poker player.

Fat Nicky
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will 3-bet to gamble

[/ QUOTE ]

all this talk about 3-betting is nonsense.

if he is on a bluff, he will likely fold to a 3-bet. if he's ahead, he call or even re-raise.

LotusBoy
02-18-2005, 04:29 PM
OK, Here is my thinking, please hit me with a stick:

1.) Button Cold Called PF. (AK is not that likely, K8s &amp; K5s maybe)
2.) Flop is two tone with an A. (Ax X&gt;8 will show up, 55, 88 maybe here or on the turn.)
3.) Turn is 2c, (If he has A2, A5, 55, 88, 22 will show up here)
4.) No action from Button until the K hits.

So I put him on a K, and since he called with a naked K all the way, I figure he will pay off with K pair.

AS my post count shows, I am a newbie, I am here to learn, so hit me.

rmarotti
02-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I think this is standard.

Fat Nicky
02-18-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1.) Button Cold Called PF. (AK is not that likely, K8s &amp; K5s maybe)

[/ QUOTE ]

If the button is loose, suited Ks are not unlikely at all. K8o is also not unlikely..

[ QUOTE ]
2.) Flop is two tone with an A. (Ax X&gt;8 will show up, 55, 88 maybe here or on the turn.)
3.) Turn is 2c, (If he has A2, A5, 55, 88, 22 will show up here)

[/ QUOTE ]

makes sense, so lets assume he doesn't have you beat on the flop or turn.

[ QUOTE ]
4.) No action from Button until the K hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is, will he raise with 2nd pair after he saw out hero bet into him on every street. Even very aggressive players won't raise here with something that doesn't beat a pair of Aces.

[ QUOTE ]
So I put him on a K, and since he called with a naked K all the way, I figure he will pay off with K pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I deem this highly unlike with that A sitting on the board.

LotusBoy
02-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the comment, I agree raising is very risky. Calling is the standard play.

[ QUOTE ]
The question is, will he raise with 2nd pair after he saw out hero bet into him on every street. Even very aggressive players won't raise here with something that doesn't beat a pair of Aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think He was thinking hero is betting a busted heart draw, which a lot people does, or betting mid pair against another draw all the way. This is HU, most poeple do.
Button made a mistake of raising, instead of calling, with his bluff catcher hand.

runa
02-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Standard. There aren't that many players that will bluff raise on the river here, and usually they hit a 2-pair or set on the turn or river, or slowplayed it from the flop. I'm pretty skeptical when I'm raised on the river HU so I usually call (fairly large pot for 1BB closing action and the chance of having the best hand still), and its good to get information to see if this guy really likes to chase. Then I post a note on the villain so he doesn't do it again (whatever 'it' is).