PDA

View Full Version : iPod or Alternative?

KJS
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Now that a buddy at work has 20GB of killer metal on his machine, I gotta get an MP3 player. Curious if anyone here has a 20GB iPod alternative like the Creative Labs products, and what they think of it.

How about the iPod people? Do you think folks are crazy for considering anything else? I don't have an Apple at home or work, if that matters, and I will never pay for iTunes. I just want to get all his music, bring it home to my machine and be able to listen to it when I am on the go.

Thanks.

KJS

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-18-2005, 02:32 PM
iAudio M3 (http://eng.iaudio.com/zeroboard/product_M3_over.php?bmenu=p&id=cw5000)
http://eng.iaudio.com/zeroboard/new_img/product/iaudioM3/photo/iaudioM3_18_big.jpg

Freakin
02-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm a sucker. I'm going to get an ipod. Other products are easily twice as good. Ipods are limited to using itunes, and playing a narrow range of audio files. Other units let you record, play all sorts of files, and not wear out a battery prematurely. Apple had first-mover advantage, and it nailed the aesthetics & ease of use for the inexperienced consumer. Don't get an ipod because you think they're best. I've liked what I've seen of the iRiver, but that one Pat just linked looks pretty damn sweet.

B

lucas9000
02-18-2005, 02:38 PM
i have the rio karma (20 gig). i love it. it plays more file types, including ogg and shn. it's also smaller than the ipod. the only problem is the scroll wheel, which will break if you drop the thing. but, the unit as a whole is very tough, and you don't NEED the scroll wheel to use it (it's just a convenience). definitely check it out...imo it's better than the ipod.

lucas9000
02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
damn that looks like a quality unit.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the best. I did my homework and I held out for a long time until there was something that was good enough for me to buy.

lucas9000
02-18-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the best. I did my homework and I held out for a long time until there was something that was good enough for me to buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i don't think that was out when i got my karma.

MikeNaked
02-18-2005, 03:04 PM
I friggin love love LOVE my 20 gig ipod my wife bought me for my b-day last year. Easy to use, durable, beautiful design...It is probably my favorite material possession.

Don't know much about the others, as I didn't comparison shop.

daveymck
02-18-2005, 03:36 PM
I just got the 40gig Creative and very pleased with it, good sound and easy drag and drop file placement.

But cant really go wrong with the Ipod or the Archos Gmini range as well as the creative zen range, according to my hifi mag anyway.

Soul Daddy
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I have the Creative Nomad Zen. I love it, but the software for transferring data to it is cumbersome. I don't have much to compare it to, but my IPod user friend claims the Nomad is much easier to navigate. I'm also on my 2nd one b/c I doused the first in Mountain Dew. Not a good idea.

Joe826
02-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a 15 GB iPod I got last July and I hate the damn thing. It's broken twice (without me dropping or otherwise abusing it even). I guess they're pretty good about replacing them, but it's still a pain. If they weren't so fragile i'd like mine more. I'm definetly getting something else when my warranty expires and it breaks again.

BusterStacks
02-18-2005, 03:45 PM
The question I have about the iAudio is, do you have to go through any gay interface software to get your music onto the thing or can you just put it on there in mp3 form. I know with the iPod you have to like send all the songs at once and they get transformed from standard mp3s or something along the way.

jskills
02-18-2005, 04:02 PM
iRiver HP120 rules

20 GB
plays all music formats (not just MP3s)
it is a drag and drop USB hard drive
records via mic or input
FM Tuner built in
light and small as an ipod
less expensive than an ipod

Jack of Arcades
02-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I've dropped my Creative like 8000 times and it works fine.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-18-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The question I have about the iAudio is, do you have to go through any gay interface software to get your music onto the thing or can you just put it on there in mp3 form. I know with the iPod you have to like send all the songs at once and they get transformed from standard mp3s or something along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]
The iAudio shows up just like a usb hard drive. Plug it in, drag and drop. Done. It plays any audio format you'd care to listen to, including MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF, WAV, and maybe best of all lossless FLAC, you can use it like a hard drive, it has line out, an FM tuner, mic, upgradable firmware, everything. It's available in 20GB and 40GB and with battery life of 14 hours or an optional 35 hours. I'm sure there's more I've not listed.

Freakin
02-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Ogg support is the shiznit

B

Jack of Arcades
02-18-2005, 04:22 PM
sounds like I'm replacing my creative soon.

pokerOpus
02-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Check out the iRivers. They are quality.

BusterStacks
02-18-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The iAudio shows up just like a usb hard drive. Plug it in, drag and drop. Done. It plays any audio format you'd care to listen to, including MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF, WAV, and maybe best of all lossless FLAC, you can use it like a hard drive, it has line out, an FM tuner, mic, upgradable firmware, everything. It's available in 20GB and 40GB and with battery life of 14 hours or an optional 35 hours. I'm sure there's more I've not listed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok i want one. how much.

Jack of Arcades
02-18-2005, 04:40 PM
20 GB = 289.
40 GB = 599.

Voltron87
02-18-2005, 04:41 PM
If you get an iPod don't get a mini.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Probably about $260 for the 20GB and I think I paid just over $300 for the 40GB brown one (the picture I posted above is the brown one). There's not a lot of places you can find them and they're not in any B&M stores. Frye's was supposed to have them, but the one in San Diego didn't when I was there. The best price when I got mine was at newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0), but I don't know anymore where the best place is to get them. I only see 20GB ones on newegg right now.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-18-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
20 GB = 289.
40 GB = 599.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're way off - at least if you're buying in the US and in US Dollars.

lighterjobs
02-18-2005, 04:45 PM
i just saw an ad for that in rolling stone.

now that there are more choices, don't get an ipod. i have a 3rd generation that i got a little over a year ago and it's pretty much broken. i haven't dropped it or anything and i always took care of it. they just fall apart.

lighterjobs
02-18-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just saw an ad for that in rolling stone.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit - the ad i saw was for something made by creative labs.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Cowon really needs to get on the marketing. This thing is awesome and I'm sure it could sell a ton of units if they'd advertise a little, but nobody's ever heard of it because they don't market it for [censored].

Freakin
02-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, i hadn't even heard about it. I think most new consumers buy the ipod cause IMO it looks the best. I don't think that anymore. I'd take metal over white any day.

B

daryn
02-18-2005, 05:24 PM
ipods interface is the best hands down. also, what's with everyone saying you have to use itunes? i've never used it, never bought music off there, and i have a ton of songs on my ipod.

cjhellm
02-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Seriously there are much better mp3 players then the iPod. I recommend looking into iRiver products and the iAudio unit.

Freakin
02-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Daryn,

I was referring to the itunes software, not itunes store. Are you using itunes to transfer the files to your ipod, or are you using some other method? With the install CD that comes w/ the ipod, the updater is automatically pulling everything down from your itunes library. Are you putting it in disk mode and transferring the files manually? let me know.

B

daryn
02-18-2005, 06:36 PM
i think musicmatch jukebox came on the cd with mine or something. i do use itunes now, the software, but only since a few days ago. how is that a downside though? i just see it as a way to get songs on and off. i use winamp to listen to music on my computer.

SomethingClever
02-18-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This page wrote up by base on specifications of iAUDIO M3 20GB.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just put iAUDIO M3 to your pocket or bag. What you need is remote controller only.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Thru JetEffect, feel the reveals the delicate and details in the music with 20mW+20mW

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Makes you to arrange and play all the wish list from all other folders in iAUDIO M3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Includes software JetAudio 6, no with this, you can enjoy perfect sound, any video files from this mall little player.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell company makes this thing, and why couldn't they hire an English-speaking person to translate their website?

Looks like a killer product, though.

lighterjobs
02-18-2005, 07:18 PM
i don't think it looks the best anymore, either. plus, it starts to look like hell after awhile because it scratches so easily.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-18-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This page wrote up by base on specifications of iAUDIO M3 20GB.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just put iAUDIO M3 to your pocket or bag. What you need is remote controller only.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Thru JetEffect, feel the reveals the delicate and details in the music with 20mW+20mW

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Makes you to arrange and play all the wish list from all other folders in iAUDIO M3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Includes software JetAudio 6, no with this, you can enjoy perfect sound, any video files from this mall little player.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell company makes this thing, and why couldn't they hire an English-speaking person to translate their website?

Looks like a killer product, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't use any of the software, although I guess it's supposed to be pretty good - CNET I think ranks it very highly. The company is Korean and your comments kind of fall in line with my previous statements about how they need to work on their marketing something fierce. Their other players (flash) are also very good. One of them runs for frickin ever on I think one AA battery.

Freakin
02-18-2005, 08:58 PM
A lot of people prefer having devices that are just shown as hard drives. I think it would be irritating if itunes was my primary playing software, because I wouldn't want all the music in my library on my ipod.

I personally love iTunes. I don't even have an ipod and I have all my music in itunes. I certainly don't prefer it for playing, but I'm obsessive over id3 tags and library organization, and itunes is the best I've seen for that.

B

wacki
02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SOLD!!!!!!!!

What review sites do you go to?

wacki
02-18-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best price when I got mine was at newegg.com, but I don't know anymore where the best place is to get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newegg rocks. I'll happily pay then even if it costs slightly more. (which is almost never) I ordered from them once at 11P.M. at night and it was on the doorstep of my buddies house in Indianapolis by noon the next day. I don't think I will ever forget that.

jstnrgrs
02-18-2005, 09:43 PM
I recently bought an irivier H10 which I use with napster to go. I am very satisfied with the iriver. Napster to go has its drawbacks, but overall I think it is worth it compared to the legal alternatives.

BWebb
02-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Alright, I found the 20g iaudio m3 for $259 w/ cradle, plus shipping on newegg. Is this thing easy to use, I'm not very computer literate? Is loading songs onto it as easy as, say, making a CD with Adeptec Easy CD creator? If so, I'm going to buy it.

mikeyvegas
02-18-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm sold. Looks like a solid product.

MarkL444
02-18-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you get an iPod don't get a mini.

[/ QUOTE ]

right on. waste of money.

captZEEbo1
02-19-2005, 03:52 AM
I have a question about the iPod. You can load illegal mp3s on it, right?

BusterStacks
02-19-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about the iPod. You can load illegal mp3s on it, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

captZEEbo1
02-19-2005, 04:25 AM
question about the iaudio m3:

"If you live in the US be sure to have a travel adapter ready so that you can plug in the power supply..."
( taken from user review here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=55-603-801&depa=0 )

wtf does that mean?

eric5148
02-19-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cowon really needs to get on the marketing. This thing is awesome and I'm sure it could sell a ton of units if they'd advertise a little, but nobody's ever heard of it because they don't market it for [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick Del Poker Grande: The one man marketing team.

Seriously, dude, you should demand they give you commissions or something for all the sales you made here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

captZEEbo1
02-19-2005, 05:16 AM
WHERE DID YOU BUY THE 40gb iaudio m3?

plaster8
02-19-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be irritating if itunes was my primary playing software, because I wouldn't want all the music in my library on my ipod.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, you can set iTunes so it doesn't automatically update when you plug your iPod in. You can select what you want to add to your iPod manually.

There are other players that look cool, and I'm sure there are upsides to them, but I love my 40-gig iPod. (I'm biased, as I'm typing this on a Mac right now, but what can I say.)

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I got my 40GB M3 from newegg.com last fall. When I looked yesterday, they only had 20GB ones though. I don't know who'll have the 40GB ones at a good price. As for that travel adapter business, I have no idea what the hell that's all about - maybe they're talking about bringing it to Europe where the AC current is different and you need an adapter for anything you'd plug in. I have no such thing and no such problems.

The company has their own store at jetaudio.com (http://www.jetaudio.com/index.asp) and I would imagine you'd be able to get any of their products there (direct link to the M3 (http://onlinestore.jetaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=43)s. When I bought mine, the prices were a bit higher, though ($400 for the 40GB M3 instead of about $330 where I got it).

If people are excited for the iPod Photo type of player, I think iAudio's got a unit similar to the M3 but with a screen that's supposed to be higher resolution than the iPod Photo coming out some time this year too, but as far as I know, it's all rumors so far as to what exactly the specs are and when it'll come out. You can probably snoop around on their message boards at iaudio.com and check it out if you want.

They've got a pretty cool unit they call the TViX (http://www.jetaudio.com/products/tvix/) too - basically a digital media player for your tv. I don't think I'd put up cash for one, but it's cool nonetheless.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Loading files onto an M3 is easier than even EZ CD Creator - it's drag and drop. It shows up as another hard drive when you plug it into your computer, so just drag your files onto it. You'll want to have them all organized well into meaningful directories.

Jack of Arcades
02-19-2005, 12:18 PM
nice, I searched around but I couldn't find these prices. I'll sell off my creative and then get this one.

Munkster
02-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info Patrick, you got me real excited @ the prospect of buying this player.

Few questions for everyone:

1) how does the performance of iaudio compare to ipod or other mp3 players? (e.g. sound quality)
2) is it easy to navigate through songs on it? does it support playlists?
3) anyone have any headphone recommendations? I am looking for one that fits in the ear (the small kind) and has great noise reduction/sound quality (for an audiophile). My price range is up to $100 (but feel free to suggest more expensive ones also). Since it takes me an hour and half to commute everyday, comfort of the earpiece is also important.

many thanks

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-19-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info Patrick, you got me real excited @ the prospect of buying this player.

Few questions for everyone:

1) how does the performance of iaudio compare to ipod or other mp3 players? (e.g. sound quality)
2) is it easy to navigate through songs on it? does it support playlists?
3) anyone have any headphone recommendations? I am looking for one that fits in the ear (the small kind) and has great noise reduction/sound quality (for an audiophile). My price range is up to $100 (but feel free to suggest more expensive ones also). Since it takes me an hour and half to commute everyday, comfort of the earpiece is also important.

many thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
1) The sound quality is great. I don't know exactly how to quantify it, but I do remember people talking about the specs being better than an iPod. It also has a lot of equalizer and sound effect stuff you can do to adjust the sound.

2) a - The controls are not as intuitive as the iPod, but they're not hard either. You wouldn't be able to just hand it to someone who's never seen it before and they'd know immediately what to do with it, but once you've had it for a minute, it's not hard at all.

b - It supports playlists and bookmarks

3) I don't have any reccomendations for headphones. I do like the ones that come with it and I think they're pretty good. The only complaint I have for them is that the cord isn't long enough for me, so I end up using different ones.

Freakin
02-19-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2) a - The controls are not as intuitive as the iPod, but they're not hard either. You wouldn't be able to just hand it to someone who's never seen it before and they'd know immediately what to do with it, but once you've had it for a minute, it's not hard at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I woudln't say the ipod controls are intuitive, just pervasive. My sister used her ipod for liek 4 hours before she figured out the scroll wheel.

Freakin

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Alright guys. There's some bad news that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Apparently, they've stopped production on the 40GB model due to lack of interest as compared to the 20GB. This is from iaudiophile.net (http://iaudiophile.net/news.php). If you see a 40GB one, snatch it up before they're all gone (they might be gone already).

They have a great product, but their business skills are severely lacking. They better get someone in there who can market this stuff. It'd be a shame if they weren't successful with the products they're coming out with.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Check this [censored] (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1099) out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/koolshen21/iAudiophile/b94fcf48.jpg

Freakin
02-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Dude, thats [censored] sick!

Freakin

BusterStacks
02-19-2005, 04:16 PM
oh man, I want one. Patrick, buy me it.

razor
02-19-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, they've stopped production on the 40GB model due to lack of interest as compared to the 20GB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This SUCKS.

BusterStacks
02-19-2005, 04:19 PM
does it use a standard 2.5" drive? then you can make it whatever you want.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-19-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does it use a standard 2.5" drive? then you can make it whatever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know exactly what it uses, but I'm sure you could find out on iaudiophile. When I was shopping around every [censored] DAP I could find, I came across a small company - I think they're in Oceanside or Carlsbad CA - that sold kits where you buy the hard drive you want and their case and whatever else and basically put together your own DAP. They had some ridiculously huge hard drives too if I recall correctly. I have no idea anymore what this place was called or how I came across them. I'm sure you could find it if you spent some time searching.

Ogre
03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Does anybody have this iriver?
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/h320.aspx#

Does it look like a good alternative to an ipod?

I looked at that iaudio one but i dont like how the display is on a different part.