PDA

View Full Version : Staying sharp/interested

Flushed
02-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi guys,

I recently started playing 2/4 PP on a regular basis, but after a week of putting in about 5-6 hours a day I'm starting to feel burned out, despite extraordinarily good results.

What sort of schedule to you guys use? This question is geared more towards people who play part-time rather than full time. How do you stay sane?

Also, I imagine that certain times (e.g. Friday night) are much better for winrates. Any other times I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Flushed

edtost
02-18-2005, 01:19 PM
i've been very successful playing from 5-8am EST, though all times except mid-morning seem to be really soft.

i'm worse at putting in hours than you are, so no comment on the scheduling, although i've found that mixing in an nl table or a sng hlps with the boredom.

turnipmonster
02-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I play very short sessions almost always, and quit as soon as I feel like doing something else. basically, I treat as a form of entertainment that happens to be profitable also. FWIW, the most hands I've ever played consecutively is 1k. playing different games helps also.

--turnipmonster

stoxtrader
02-18-2005, 01:50 PM
I play 10-15 hrs a week, generally mon/wed/fri/sat nights. I generally 8 table and play 500-200 hands in a session. So long as there is more than 50k players around, I can't imagine it not being a good time.

I've never had problems playing too much though, so im not sure I can help there, my biggest problem is finding time to play. I know davidross is a machine when it comes to putting in hours.

Flushed
02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
playing different games helps also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to mix in NL SNGs to break up the session. Then I accidently started LRR'ing AA at my limit tables. Expert.

sfer
02-18-2005, 02:00 PM
It helps to have a more than mildly addictive personality with serious tunnel vision, a la me. Of course, I haven't played a lick online in 8 weeks so maybe that's the end of that road.

scrub
02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It helps to have a more than mildly addictive personality with serious tunnel vision

[/ QUOTE ]

w00t.

Also, your avatar rules.

scrub

pecto
02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Set some weekly and monthly goals to keep your self motivated

Flushed
02-18-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It helps to have a more than mildly addictive personality with serious tunnel vision

[/ QUOTE ]

w00t.

Also, your avatar rules.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, scrub. Constructive as usual /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Tash

Flushed
02-18-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I generally 8 table and play 500-200 hands in a session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 8-tabling is a valid solution, since it cuts down on total hours.

- Tash

I'm aiming for 1000h per session.

BlueBear
02-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Play different games (if you can play them), I mix it up with omaha, omaha hi-lo, pot limit and no-limit of all forms.

tek
02-18-2005, 07:41 PM
The best thing to do according to the Matador last night is not play when the fog rolls in... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sethypooh21
02-18-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally 8 table and play 500-200 hands in a session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 8-tabling is a valid solution, since it cuts down on total hours.

- Tash

I'm aiming for 1000h per session.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's generally what I do, though some days I decide 500 or 750, and occassionally on a saturday I might decide to go for 1500. 4-6 tabling 6 max, that's a nice easy 2-3 hour session, which also doesn't leave me too burned out to 'study' (i.e. read these boards' for an hour or so afterwords.

I find that my play begins to markedly detoriate beyond the 3-hour mark, so keeping em short is key.