PDA

View Full Version : Harrington and Ax

johnfromvirginia
02-18-2005, 12:35 PM
On page 184, Harrington addresses pre-flop treatment of A7 and lower, suited and unsuited.

[ QUOTE ]
Ace-seven suited I would play from fifth position on, with a mixture of 50 percent raises and 50 percent calls. Ace-seven unsuited I would play from sixth position on, with the same mixture of raises and calls.
The hands between ace-six and ace-deuce I would only play in late position, raising in all cases to steal the blinds. If the blinds have shown some toughness, however, I would just throw these hands away.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's clearly assigning a lower value to A-little than to A6 and A7. Without having done the math, I would think that A2-A5 would be at least as strong as A6 because of the possibility of flopping a fairly sneaky straight or straight draw--especially considering how weak A6 is anyway. If they're suited then you have the additional possibility of flopping a nut flush or flush draw. Any thoughts? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this post, but it didn't really seem like a tournament question.

pzhon
02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
A7 is much stronger than A2 with short stacks because the winner will often be determined by the strength of the pair you make when your kicker pairs. A7 is only a slight underdog to 55, but A2 is a big underdog to 55. A7 is much more of a favorite over K6 than A2 is a favorite over K6. In fact, A7 is slightly less of an underdog against AK than A2 is because of boards like AT55x where x matches your kicker: A7 wins with aces over sevens but A2 loses with aces over fives, lower kicker. That's more important than the extra straights.

A7o wins 59.1% against a random hand (http://gocee.com/poker/HE_Value.htm). A2o wins 54.6%, so it has half of the advantage of A7o.

PokrLikeItsProse
02-18-2005, 04:49 PM
A hand like A7 or A6 has some value if you flop middle pair. It may make the difference in whether or not I might call a short stack's all-in on the flop.

If you have A2 and pair the 2 on a trash flop, you feel less comfortable.

This is why I dislike stealing with ace-low. I much prefer stealing with medium unsuited connectors.

Chipp Leider
02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's clearly assigning a lower value to A-little than to A6 and A7.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because A "little" *is* worth less. The only exception is A5 being slightly stronger than A6, and even that is debateable in real world play.

larrondo
02-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Terriffic explanation, Pzhon. Thanks, I just learned something.

johnfromvirginia
02-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks Pzhon. However, Harrington lumped Axs and Axo together. Surely Ax suited must have a higher winning percentage against a random hand.

mike3076
02-20-2005, 08:44 AM
A2- is the worst possible hand of all the Ax's.
in order to make a straight 3-4-5 must be on board.
6-7 suited any one?
/images/graemlins/grin.gif