PDA

View Full Version : Stud 8: Muck an 8-7 on sixth?

nef
09-04-2002, 08:49 PM
I am dealt (7s-2s) 4s.
4d brings it in.
Kc calls.
8d folds.
I call.
Kh, 9s folds.
6s calls.

4th street:
7s-2s-4s-8h
x-x-6s-Ts
x-x-4d-2c
x-x-Kc-5c
check, I bet, and all call.

5th street.
7s-2s-4s-8h-7
x-x-6s-Ts-Tc
x-x-4d-2c-Qh
x-x-Kc-5c-Ad

It checks through.

6th street:
7s-2s-4s-8h-7h-Ah
x-x-6s-Ts-Tc-7c
x-x-4d-2c-Qh-5c
x-x-Kc-5c-Ad-9d

TT bets, 4-2-Q-5 raises, who was the bring in, its to me:
I am getting basically 3:1. Of course its more like 1.5:1 and there is probably a 25% chance I will get jammed.

What should I do? Feel free to point out all of my mistakes. I feel there are several in this hand.

Fraubump
09-04-2002, 09:34 PM
"4th street:
7s-2s-4s-8h
x-x-6s-Ts
x-x-4d-2c
x-x-Kc-5c
check, I bet, and all call."

I'm not crazy about this bet. You would like a free card. If someone else bets, a call by you may be ok given the only other low was bring-in and you still have an outside shot at a flush. Still, I think a fold wouldn't be a huge mistake.

"5th street.
7s-2s-4s-8h-7
x-x-6s-Ts-Tc
x-x-4d-2c-Qh
x-x-Kc-5c-Ad
It checks through."

Representing a made low might not be a bad move here given the other low has missed. Bet might get him to fold.

"6th street:
7s-2s-4s-8h-7h-Ah
x-x-6s-Ts-Tc-7c
x-x-4d-2c-Qh-5c
x-x-Kc-5c-Ad-9d

I am getting basically 3:1. Of course its more like 1.5:1 and there is probably a 25% chance I will get jammed."

You are in a tough spot. If you didn't know anything about your opponent to help you decide it's a tough decision. You'd think with a better 4 card low he would have bet, so possibly he has an 8 also, but better than 87. Given your pot odds are weak, I'd probably drop it.

So what happened?

Andy B
09-04-2002, 10:29 PM
I would seriously consider raising on third. You have a nice two-way hand. The Nine and the King are probably going to check out anyway, so the only person you entice into the pot by limping is probably the Six, who may call a full bet with a relatively weak hand anyway.

Betting on fourth is good. The only other possible low is the bring-in, who may have garbage underneath. Checking behind on fifth is good. You have very little shot at high, and only two more cards to make a low. The bring-in probably has a better low draw than 87.

On sixth, you have an easy fold. The bring-in has probably made a low, and if he has, it's almost certainly better than yours, unless he has precisely 87 in the hole, and you hold two Sevens. I know it's difficult to lay down the hand you've been drawing to, but sometimes you have to do it. This is one of those times. The pot isn't very big yet, and it's probably going to cost you a lot of money to see this hand through. Even if you improve on the river, the bring-in may have that Seven-low beat, or he may draw to beat it. Get out while the gettin's good.

09-05-2002, 08:48 PM
You should have checked and folded on fourth street when you caught the eight. By betting, were you hoping to narrow the field to the 4-2 and the K? I think you are in bad shape against those hands and should have been raised at that time by one of them (probably the 4-2). Many spades are gone, you've just made a four card draw to a rough eight, and you have no foreseeable chance to win high.

You definitely have a fold on six.

nef
09-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the responses all.

I would usually raise 3rd street.

I dont think check/folding is correct on 4th because the only person who caught good was the bring in.

I did muck on sixth street. The bring-in had made an 8-5, and the bettor had Trip tens.

nf

Rick Nebiolo
09-06-2002, 05:47 AM
You wrote:

I am dealt (7s-2s) 4s.
4d brings it in.
Kc calls.
8d folds.
I call.
Kh, 9s folds.
6s calls.

With only one strong upcard behind you, why not raise? If you knock out the 6s, that is great, and also figure to be last to act on 4th street.

4th street:
7s-2s-4s-8h
x-x-6s-Ts
x-x-4d-2c
x-x-Kc-5c
check, I bet, and all call.

I bet too. It seems that the 6s-Ts should fold unless he has a flush draw or a 7-8 buried.

5th street.
7s-2s-4s-8h-7
x-x-6s-Ts-Tc
x-x-4d-2c-Qh
x-x-Kc-5c-Ad

It checks through.

Don’t you want to bet here? Once again, you have the scary board and figure to be last to act on the next street.

6th street:
7s-2s-4s-8h-7h-Ah
x-x-6s-Ts-Tc-7c
x-x-4d-2c-Qh-5c
x-x-Kc-5c-Ad-9d

I am getting basically 3:1. Of course its more like 1.5:1 and there is probably a 25% chance I will get jammed.

Now you fold with a lousy low draw that may be dead or near dead, a second rate high, and a small pot (before the 6th street action).

BTW, I’m just learning this game and can see why there are so few posts on stud. It is a lot harder to keep track of the action.

Regards,

Rick

Vike
09-06-2002, 12:20 PM
I would have raised on 3rd street. 3 suited low cards is a solid starting hand with scooping potential that should be raised even though 2 of your suits are out. You only have the 6 and the bring-in to worry about for low, but by raising on 3rd you define their hands better. For instance, if the 4d calls on 3rd and then catches the 2c on 4th you know your 8-7 low draw is in serious trouble. By limping you don't know much about his hand.

The way you played the hand I would have bet 5th. TT is in a tough spot to call with 2 players behind him and maybe he'll fold and you forced the best high hand out of the game leaving you perhaps heads-up with the best high hand and a low potential. The fact that he had 3 T's at that point shows he is playing garbage and you would have never gotten him to fold, but your failure to raise on 3rd might be the reason he is in there in the 1st place.

On 6th I would have folded. The 4d shouldn't be semi-bluffing with a pair and 4 to a low with 1 card to come. He is supposed to have a low or a high with Q's up or trip Q's. Either way, your half of the pot is now too small to put 2 big bets in for while guessing what's going on. Again, if you had raised on 3rd things might have been better defined.

AlanBostick
09-06-2002, 03:24 PM
The action on third street was that the bring-in was in for the minimum, and a king limped in afterwards.

Three small suited cards are indeed a very nice starting hand, but it is a starting hand that, like three small straight cards, plays best in a multiway pot. At this point in the hand, only one player has entered the pot voluntarily, and if our hero raises, he may very well get heads-up. The three-flush adds some to our hero's heads-up equity, but not a lot.

With a couple of limpers ahead of me, I will often raise with these cards; but otherwise I want to increase my implied odds by encouraging callers after me.