PDA

View Full Version : 3-betting 88 from the BB

brettbrettr
02-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Button is LAP, only 40 hands, but I've seen him showdown and he's just not very good. I was trying to get HU with him:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

I fold to a raise, not sure how I'd go about the turn though. My first thought would be to bet a heart or ace, but then I think this guy is so passive I might be better off giving up. But, really, he could have anything.

Is this a bad spot to 3 bet this hand pre-flop? Would it be better to do it against a more predictable TAG player? I'm not sure whether this guy can lay down a hand or not...

JoshuaD
02-18-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Is this a bad spot to 3 bet this hand pre-flop? Would it be better to do it against a more predictable TAG player? I'm not sure whether this guy can lay down a hand or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a decent equity edge PF. Any fold equity you have is just icing on the cake. You should 3-bet for value.

edit: Yea, what fatnicky said too.

Fat Nicky
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
depends on your read of the limper. If you think there is a good chance, he will fold to the 3-bet, I like it. Without a read, I don't like the play.

chief444
02-18-2005, 11:56 AM
If he calls the flop I'm betting any turn card. If he calls the turn I'll often be checking the river.

spydog
02-18-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Button is LAP

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a LAP? Loose-Aggressive, then passive postflop?

If so, I like the 3-bet. I would continue betting until shown resistance. I might check-fold the river if he's really passive postflop.

brettbrettr
02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Button is LAP

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a LAP? Loose-Aggressive, then passive postflop?

If so, I like the 3-bet. I would continue betting until shown resistance. I might check-fold the river if he's really passive postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, laggy, then passivey, hence the 3-bet.

ropey
02-18-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to get HU with him:

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a bad spot to 3 bet this hand pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
You raised because you were trying to get HU with the him...it worked, you got heads up with him...so no, it wasn't a bad spot to 3 bet pre-flop with!

-ropey

brettbrettr
02-18-2005, 12:55 PM
My question is was *he* the right guy to try to get head's up with? I targeted him b/c he was LAggy preflop, but I'd hate to see him call the flop, then the turn....

Clarkmeister
02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is was *he* the right guy to try to get head's up with? I targeted him b/c he was LAggy preflop, but I'd hate to see him call the flop, then the turn....

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time you can get it headsup with dead money in the pot and a showdown quality hand, it's a good time to 3-bet.

JoshuaD
02-18-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time you can get it headsup with dead money in the pot and a showdown quality hand, it's a good time to 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's an awfully good way to think about it.

brettbrettr
02-18-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's an awfully good way to think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple too.