PDA

View Full Version : Flopping top set - going for overcalls?

mdeck
02-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Any way I could have played this better? Should I have let everyone else get cheap cards, or should I have driven more players out? Thanks.

edit: Forgot to add: button is LA/P, and SB is a SLPP. BB Seemed to be a LPP after 21 hands, the other two I had played 34-40 hands with.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

istewart
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Need a raise, no?

adsman
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, you really needed to drive the others out. You've got a great hand on the flop and there are str8 and flush draws out there. This is no time to slowplay. Raise that flop.

mdeck
02-18-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Need a raise, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I saw it, with two players left to act behind me, one aggressive, the best thing to do would be to call, since both their bets would be more profitable than a single bet if I raised and only the SB called. In addition, if the LP/A decided to raise and make a play, I could reraise on this or later streets.

adsman
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Need a raise, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I saw it, with two players left to act behind me, one aggressive, the best thing to do would be to call, since both their bets would be more profitable than a single bet if I raised and only the SB called. In addition, if the LP/A decided to raise and make a play, I could reraise on this or later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one of the players yet to act is aggressive this is even more of a reason to put a bet in on the flop. You cram the pot when you have the best of it. Notice that you could only call the river bet? You were scared of the flush. No raising there. The problem with the draws out there is that sometimes the flop is the only spot where you can be sure that you are raising for value. On this flop I would be trying my upmost to knock players out.

mdeck
02-18-2005, 11:10 AM
that makes sense, thanks.

davelin
02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
If a draw completing card is going to make you clam up on a big street, don't slowplay on the small street.

jar
02-18-2005, 01:12 PM
You've gotta raise this flop. Save going for overcalls for the river unless you have or are drawing to the nuts. You don't want a cheap straight or flush card to beat you here.

djshawk
02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
i've not read other posts yet but...

with 2 to a flush &amp; 3 to a straight on board, you need to raise here to protect your hand. If a /images/graemlins/club.gif drops on 4th street what would you do? I don't think your hand is strong enough to get fancy. Get the money in now while you are ahead.

memphis57
02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it you only want to go for overcalls when you can still beat an opponents improved hand - in fact, you want him to improve so he gets in a bidding war with you. So, generally, I think you want either a full house or A-high flush locked up before you try for overcalls, since there's almost always either a straight or flush draw out there.

The key here is the 67s on the flop makes for several straight and flush draws so you want to be knocking people out left and right. You can't stand improvement so going for over calls is wrong.

djshawk
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Overcalls are also good if you may not have the best hand. Eg on the river, by raising you may get re-raised, knocking out whoever would have overcalled and putting it back to you, in a hopeless situation. By overcalling you get the extra bet in the pot, and dont risk 2 more of your own. If you hand is good you get paid, if not you risk less.

VBM
02-18-2005, 03:57 PM
wow, this is similar to my QQ post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1758345&amp;page=1&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1)

long story short, the pot's multi-way, push this flop &amp; press your advantage. do not get cute.

mister_wolf
02-18-2005, 05:10 PM
in general a slowplay requires several conditions:
1. a small pot
2. "thinking" opponents
3. a fairly invulnable made hand

usually, the intent is to allow your opponents to catch up and make a strong but "second best" hand.

sets are a fairly concealed hand - there are very few situations (especially on the micro tables)where slowplaying them is the right play.