PDA

View Full Version : Checkdancing with The Dude

Tommy Angelo
02-18-2005, 10:18 AM
So I'm in the Mirage $20-40 game with Clarkmeister, Andy Fox, Justin A, and this Drew "The Dude" dude on my left. I could play for a year at Bay101 and Lucky Chances and not encounter that many 2+2ers. So what should I do? How should I play? Should I vary my game? Should I not vary my game? Would they even know if I varied my game? Would I?

Two days later I'd come to know Drew well enough to know that he is indeed an excellently good dude, as so many 2+2ers are. But when this hand came up, we'd just met, and we hadn't talked at all yet, except for a quick hi and intro before I sat down, after which I went deaf dumb and blind. I guess I'd decided not to vary my game after all.

Two players limped. I was in the cutoff and I limped with K9s. Drew was on the button. He raised. Both blinds folded. Both limpers called and I called. Four players. The flop was J-J-4. The limpers checked, I checked, and Drew bet. The limpers folded and we were headsup. I called.

I don't really know why I called here. I guess somewhere in the back of my mutant mind I called because I was hoping that the betting would then go check-check on the turn, and check-check on the river, and that my king-high would be good, and that I could then post about the hand. And that is exactly how the hand played out. (The turn and river were ten-ten.) And now I'm posting about it. Cozmik.

Tommy

BarronVangorToth
02-18-2005, 10:55 AM
You bested his pocket 9's with the second-nut-nothing on the river?

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Chris Daddy Cool
02-18-2005, 11:01 AM
did you consider doing some reverse floating OOP and betting or checkraising on the turn? cuz the dude undoubtedly knows your reputation.

slavic
02-18-2005, 11:49 AM
With "The Dude" it's just as likely to be pocket 3's or 5's, 89s, ect, ect

The Dude
02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey, man. I had a backdoor flush draw on the flop, but once I lost that what's the point in betting anymore?

Kaz The Original
02-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The dude abides.

The Dude
02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
I meant to let this go for a little while longer, but I'm leaving town for a couple of days and might not get a chance to respond.

I had 98s on this hand, as Slavic so ingeniously surmised. Later in the session, after I had seen you play a little more, I would have fired again on the turn and river, but at the time I felt that the turn was a good time to stop betting.

I had been pretty aggressive at the table even by this point, so I didn't think you necessarily believed my flop bet. I was originally planning on betting again on the turn, but it brought me an OESD and I really didn't want to get check-raised, so I let it go through. After I did that - and the river double-paired the board - I figured there'd be no way you'd fold A high now. (Little did I know the true strength of your hand!)

KidPokerX
02-18-2005, 02:35 PM
I think you played it perfectly fine. You tried to represent an A, but the flop bet didn't work. You didn't spew chips after that - nothing wrong with that.

Justin A
02-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Tommy,
Nice play. When i heard the story later it had already morphed into you calling a turn bet with king high also. I'm only slightly disappointed that it went check-check check-check. You would have called The Dude's misplaced turn bet if there was one, right Tommy?

Gabe
02-18-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After I did that - and the river double-paired the board - I figured there'd be no way you'd fold A high now. (Little did I know the true strength of your hand!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet Tommy likes calling with K high as much as you like check-raising.

bernie
02-18-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but it brought me an OESD and I really didn't want to get check-raised, so I let it go through

[/ QUOTE ]

If c/r, you're not putting another bet in (after calling) unless you hit your str8. Which you will likely then collect 2 bets for on the river. Tommy'd likely bet into you with whatever he c/r'ed with.

If tommy has a J, I don't think he'd c/r the turn, especially HU. After all, he's not going to be putting you on a str8 draw. He'd likely put you on drawing very thin against him.

Though, I could be wrong about that.

b

TimTimSalabim
02-18-2005, 03:54 PM
With that lineup, I want to hear stories about how *big* pots were won with K-high /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Tommy Angelo
02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
"You would have called The Dude's misplaced turn bet if there was one, right Tommy?"

It depended.

Justin A
02-18-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With that lineup, I want to hear stories about how *big* pots were won with K-high /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

No big pots with king high, but here's an amusing story. I'm HU with Andyfox, and I check to him on the river in a decent sized pot. The river is a very scary card for me. On his action, he shakes his head and looks fairly pissed about the river card, and then puts out eight chips. Against most players, this is a signal that they have the nuts, and it would be a fold. But I figure Andy would know that I would know this, and is trying to get me to fold. So I called. Andy had the second nuts. Maybe he was triple thinking me.

andyfox
02-18-2005, 10:55 PM
"he shakes his head and looks fairly pissed about the river card"

I was thinking about Clint Eastwood.