PDA

View Full Version : Dainel N. scammed, you be the judge

MyMindIsGoing
02-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I thought he was smart enought not to fall for some old trick like that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://www.pokerpages.com/blog-players/daniel-negreanu.htm

Rushmore
02-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I was a little surprised when I read it, too.

Whenever someone you don't know starts talking to you unsolicitedly, it's best to pull that famous presidential move and point to your ear, shake your head, and keep walking.

P.S. The day I need to write a list of all the freakin designer clothing I am bringing on a trip is the day I go and get a job digging ditches somewhere.

willie
02-18-2005, 10:51 AM
proof that real high stakes players place no value on money

he dropped 1k to some strangers, that's freaking insane

boedeker
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
i'm pretty sure he's into fashion. i dont think you should read to far into it.

Rushmore
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure he's into fashion. i dont think you should read to far into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, uh, that's what I DO, man.

"Into fashion" or not, you don't think that list is a little icky? If you just HAD to have a list, wouldn't it say Two Pairs Jeans, Seven Shirts, One Jacket, Seven Pairs Socks/ Underwear?

Mine would. And I'm not even a Jabba The Hut Poker Schlub.

Easy E
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
$1400 for "leather" coats? Must be nice not to care about throwing that away.

"Well now I'm starting to feel like I'm getting hustled "
boy, your brilliant reading skills sure were in tune there, Danny-boy....

I think everyone should start hitting up Danny now at every main event- bring t-shirts, socks, whatever.

tek
02-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I didn't see any hockey jerseys listed...

Turning Stone Pro
02-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Save a shovel for me.

My list of clothes when I go on a poker trip (no matter how many days I am going):

1) 3 shirts (could be tees, sweatshirts, tank-tops, whatever is reasonably clean, i.e, no visible stains).

2) 2 pairs of something to cover my fat ass (could be jeans, shorts, sweats, whatever).

3) a handful of underwear

4) my lucky sneakers from Kinney's, $10.99.

5) an Iron City Beer hat, that I bought in the Pittsburgh Airport in 1995.

6) several assorted socks

One day I won a big pot at T-stone and tipped the lady dealer (who I had a crush on) a red chip. A older regular told the dealer something to the effect that "whenever a player tips more than the value of the clothes he's wearing, thats a good tip".

TSP

fluff
02-18-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$1k is half a small blind for the game he plays at the Bellagio...so yeah, I guess once you play stakes that high, the meaning of money gets a bit blurred. Hell, it would be like me giving $2 to someone on the street.

Stinglikeabee
02-18-2005, 01:12 PM
I had that same scam pulled on me. I politely declined all the leather jackets.

Other famous scams:
1) The speaker scam- they overloaded the truck
2) Kids selling candy- but I'll still buy their candy
3) Magazine subscriptions- from hot chicks that never get sent.....I just gave them 2 bucks and said no magazines for me

Sponger15SB
02-18-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In his blogs he talked about ordering a movie in his hotel room and then when he realized it sucked that it was a waste of $9.95

lowroller
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I wonder what his 1 secret item is?? /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jskills
02-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Weed.

Or maybe that's his "poker vitamins".

jskills
02-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Well if it's 10 100% leather jackets - $1400 isn't terrible. But I'm sure they're pleather or something worse ...

CORed
02-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I bet a lot nauga's died to make those jackets.

lighterjobs
02-18-2005, 05:11 PM
or his milf hunter camera crew.

Daliman
02-18-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had that same scam pulled on me. I politely declined all the leather jackets.

Other famous scams:
1) The speaker scam- they overloaded the truck
2) Kids selling candy- but I'll still buy their candy
3) Magazine subscriptions- from hot chicks that never get sent.....I just gave them 2 bucks and said no magazines for me

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how they make money on the "leather"jacket scam though. I guess $1000 for like 12 jackets is good, but what if the guy just says ty for the jackets, no I'm not giving you any $$$?

jskills
02-18-2005, 05:55 PM
ahahaha - good one
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jskills
02-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Nice reference. Or maybe Daniel's Bangbus crew ...

mostsmooth
02-18-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

5) an Iron City Beer hat, that I bought in the Pittsburgh Airport in 1995.

[/ QUOTE ]
i have some iron city beer from 1994 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

whiskeytown
02-18-2005, 07:15 PM
I saw Daniel on Wed. when I was playing the Bellagio $540 at about 2 in the afternoon...

if I had known it was that easy to get money from him, I'd have sold him a piece of my action.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

actually, had I known he was that approachable, I'd have just bugged him for a picture.

RB

mostsmooth
02-18-2005, 07:22 PM
it makes me sick
not that he wasted the money, but that he gave it to some scum
some people work hard for weeks to make that amount of money
i wish he would have ripped the money up into little pieces and let it blow away in the wind while they watched instead of giving it to them

mostsmooth
02-18-2005, 07:38 PM
speaking of scams
i was walking in philly one day and this guy comes up and starts talking in a kinda jamaican accent, telling me about how he is a longshoreman or whatever and just got back. he trying to get to an address he has on some type of form, it wasnt handwritten. he shows it to me and the name of the street is "dumbella",he says he needed help getting to the address and at one point pulled a roll of cash out of his pocket, telling me "i got money, no worry", then a woman walks up and acts like the helpful citizen and points out the name of the street again, and they are apparently making it look like HE was the one who already got scammed by somebody else.
anyway i ended up walking away, but i watched them. the guy went one way , the woman another across the street, but she hung around and watched the guy. then they did the same thing to somebody else.
i still cant figure out what the scam was?
anybody?

KingMedicine
02-18-2005, 07:51 PM
there is a scam that begins like this involving removing money from your (the mark's) bank account. its called the jamaican bank scam or something like that. google it. its actually pretty interesting.

lighterjobs
02-18-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$1k is half a small blind for the game he plays at the Bellagio...so yeah, I guess once you play stakes that high, the meaning of money gets a bit blurred. Hell, it would be like me giving $2 to someone on the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's like me giving a hobo a penny and asking for change.

random
02-19-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

P.S. The day I need to write a list of all the freakin designer clothing I am bringing on a trip is the day I go and get a job digging ditches somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]I like how he includes it in his blog, too. I would say "who gives a shit?" but of course, people do.

kemystery
02-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Scams (http://lcso.leonfl.org/scams.htm)

CCx
02-20-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there is a scam that begins like this involving removing money from your (the mark's) bank account. its called the jamaican bank scam or something like that. google it. its actually pretty interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine fell for this in Philly a few years back - he was not the brightest guy in the world, was from out in the country so the city was not the place for him - he lost about $300 in his pocket and another $300 from the ATM to this scam....we laughed at him for weeks and weeks and weeks. I remember him calling my friend right after it happened and explaining the story and saying "I'm down here on the corner waiting for the guy to come back with the money he owes me" - It took a while to convince him that the guy wasn't coming back. He's since moved away but among my friends it's always good for a laugh when we're out drinking...

Rob Blackburn
02-20-2005, 05:25 PM
My brother got took on the white van/speaker scam when we lived in Atlanta.

He came home all happy about his score of these $2000 speakers for only $300, he saw the invoices! LOL

When I told him he got took, I have never seen someone so furious. He wouldn't believe me until I pulled up a page on the internet explaining the scam and warning about it.

Good Times.

mostsmooth
02-20-2005, 09:00 PM
ok so lets see, whos been approached by the most scams? ive had 2, the jamaican thing, and the speaker thing. deduct points if you fell for any of them