PDA

View Full Version : I'm a LAG

sean c
02-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Live 6/12 standard game lots of passives two decent players and a table coach. CO was one of the decent players he was pretty ABC with high raising standards PF and a little passive post flop.

Sean is SB with QJo two limpers CO raises Sean calls BB calls one limper calls.
Flop: QTx rainbow Sean checks it checks to CO who bets Sean raises folds to CO who calls.
Turn: A Ten Sean checks CO checks.
River: A brick Sean checks CO bets Sean calls.

I know the PF call was terrible at worst I put CO on AK but that said does anyone play any street different?

spydog
02-18-2005, 09:38 AM
I would never play QJo from the SB against any raise. Since CO is a tight raiser, this mistake is absolultely awful. No point in looking at the rest of the hand as you should never be in this situation again.

crunchy1
02-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Fold PF..... otherwise....

Bet the turn.
Bet the river.

The one thing I've seen a lot of on here lately that I just don't get is players posting their reads on other players and then making decisions that completely disregard those reads. If CO was a decent player with high PF raising standards why would you call here? He's raising 2 limpers, which MUST (especially given your read) indicate a strong holding - one that certainly dominates you. Toss this pre-flop.

crunchy1
02-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Also - I have to comment about the title of your post - "I'm a LAG". You are not a LAG at all. If this is a consistent line in your play I'm sorry to say but, you're a FISH. Loose PF and completely unagressive. A true LAG would've 3-bet PF and continued to bet and raise until showdown. Passive play, like you've described in this hand, will not produce profitable results in the long run.

Derek in NYC
02-18-2005, 10:23 AM
I would have either bet the turn and checked the river, or checked the turn and bet the river if he checked also.

zephed56
02-18-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Live 6/12 standard game lots of passives two decent players and a table coach. CO was one of the decent players he was pretty ABC with high raising standards PF and a little passive post flop.

Sean is SB with QJo two limpers CO raises Sean calls BB calls one limper calls.
Flop: QTx rainbow Sean checks it checks to CO who bets Sean raises folds to CO who calls.
Turn: A Ten Sean checks CO checks.
River: A brick Sean checks CO bets Sean calls.

I know the PF call was terrible at worst I put CO on AK but that said does anyone play any street different?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice flop checkraise. You slowed him down, so he could have something like AK, AJs or JJ.
Follow it up on the turn.
I would bet the river if he just calls your turn bet.

You said he's passive, so he could definitely have hands that beat you, but only call with. That's ok, you will never get money for your winners if you never bet.

Hope you won.

That guy
02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
when your flop bet only gets called, I would definitely bet again on the turn. that said, the entire hand is problematic because QJo is such a trap hand vs a solid player raise. He could have AQ and waiting for the turn to raise you as you have walked right into his trap by calling with QJ. OTOH, he might just call again 'for value' with his AK or AJ. If I have some reason to think he will call a river bet with only Ace-high, then bet a river blank. otherwise, a check (with absolute intention of calling) seems standard (again assuming a blank).

sean c
02-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. This has to be one of the worst pre flop cold calls I have ever made. It was the end of my second session of the day and I should have left an hour earlier. I C/R the flop knowing I could get it HU with CO and against any other player I would have led the turn but against this player I knew if I led the turn and was called I would have to check/fold the river and he might bet the river after my turn check with AK putting me on a missed draw. Thaks again for the replies and I agree with crunchy the title of this post should have been "I'm a fish".

sthief09
02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
no, you aren't a lag. you're loose passive. the fact that you think you played this lag worries me a bit to be honest

sean c
02-18-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, you aren't a lag. you're loose passive. the fact that you think you played this lag worries me a bit to be honest

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the title to this post is wrong fish is more accurate loose for sure but please read my above reply and let me know what you think on my turn and river play and my thought process behind it before we add passive.

crunchy1
02-18-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
before we add passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

fish = loose/passive

sean c
02-18-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
before we add passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

fish = loose/passive

[/ QUOTE ]

I am asking after you read my thought process on the above reply is it still passive or does it have any merit?

Noodles
02-18-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also - I have to comment about the title of your post - "I'm a LAG". You are not a LAG at all. If this is a consistent line in your play I'm sorry to say but, you're a FISH. Loose PF and completely unagressive. A true LAG would've 3-bet PF and continued to bet and raise until showdown. Passive play, like you've described in this hand, will not produce profitable results in the long run

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LMAO, maybe by LAG he means Loves to play Any Garbage

crunchy1
02-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I get what you were asking now.....

[ QUOTE ]
against this player I knew if I led the turn and was called I would have to check/fold the river and he might bet the river after my turn check with AK putting me on a missed draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat passive - more towards weak. If you bet the turn and he calls you check/call the river. If he raises your turn bet then you can think about check/folding the river. Give yourself credit for the best hand here after the flop and continue the bet until some other players action tells you otherwise.

sean c
02-18-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get what you were asking now.....

[ QUOTE ]
against this player I knew if I led the turn and was called I would have to check/fold the river and he might bet the river after my turn check with AK putting me on a missed draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat passive - more towards weak. If you bet the turn and he calls you check/call the river. If he raises your turn bet then you can think about check/folding the river. Give yourself credit for the best hand here after the flop and continue the bet until some other players action tells you otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I should have bet the turn I raised the flop got HU just like I wanted did not fear a check raise at all shouldn't have given him a free card and a turn bet would have won the hand right there if he was on AK. That said I'm still slapping myself over the cold call pre flop.

zephed56
02-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Results?? Or did I miss them already?