PDA

View Full Version : weak bluff looking valuebet on river

jullep
02-18-2005, 09:06 AM
ok first hand at the table, 6 handed 0.5/1 sitting down with 50. 75o bb, folded to sb (about 70$ no read) who mini raise, I call. Flop 4d7c9s rainbow, sb mini bet I rr 3 more, sb call. turn 7d, sb miniraise I rr 6 more, sb call. River Ks, sb mini raise I rr 14 more. Comments?

Caruso329
02-18-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok first hand at the table, 6 handed 0.5/1 sitting down with 50. 75o bb, folded to sb (about 70$ no read) who mini raise, I call. Flop 4d7c9s rainbow, sb mini bet I rr 3 more, sb call. turn 7d, sb miniraise I rr 6 more, sb call. River Ks, sb mini raise I rr 14 more. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

So many things wrong with this hand.
Fold PF.
Fold the flop.
SB's call might tell you he's not afraid of the 7s. In this case you should be afraid that he had two pair (unlikely) or a set on the flop and just turned a boat.
River I would just flat call, I'm putting Villain on a full house.

jullep
02-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes I fold this 9 times of 10 pf but I didnt this time, in general people at this tables are worse then these cards..
I put sb on either high pp, Ive seen several people making minibets pf from sb with high pp at this stakes, or possibly over cards and I have never seen anyone minibet with 44 or 77 from sb. 99 might ofcourse be possible. When he minibet the flop I want to find out where I am so simply rr and hope he fold or I'm done if not improved. So turn 7, nice, he minbet again. It cant be to easy for him to put me on a 7 so I rr again.. he call. K river, no flush, by this time I'm almost certain he has a high pp, he minibet again. I think you fear of a boat here is unnecessary, he didnt raise turn, he didnt rr and he didnt make a real bet on river, so I make a bet which lookes like a weak bluff and gets call and he mucked. Besided the pf call I think this line makes sense but please leave more comments.

ThePortuguee
02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Fold preflop. You're holding 75o, save the dollar and buy a soda, rather than paying a dollar to see a flop then potentially wasting more money if you flop top or second pair and get out kicked, or just dont believe your opponet and get shown 88, TT, or even something bigger from a weak player trying to keep you in the hand. So you should fold preflop.

BUT, okay, you want to look your opponet up the first hand you sit down, you're willign to commit a few BB to see how he plays, fine. You should still fold preflop, but you're there, okay, you see what happens.

Once you're there, though, I don't hate the way you played the hand. When the flop paired you, the raise is probably right. For those who disagree, I'm going to point out that while the sb could be raising an overpair, he could just as easily made a steal raise in a folded pot with a couple cards above a ten, AK, AJ, KJ, even TQ or TJs. His min-bet is half the pot, so I'm not giong to write him off as a total idiot yet, but it smells like an overpair trying not to scare you if the flop, say, paired your sevens.

So why raise? Well, because you're usually going to get overcard hands like QJ, KQ, and AJ to back off on the turn, in which case you might get to show down your pair of sevens cheap and win the pot. You're usually not going to improve on the turn so if you can induce a check from overcards in position you can check behind and then either call a bet on the river hoping you induced a bluff, or check behind on the river and show down third pair for what might be the best hand. You cant really bet the river because you wont get called by anything that doesnt beat you.

So the raise on the flop is fine, when he calls, you impvoe, then he minbets again, I think you're about to get paid off by an overpair. At this point he probably thinks you have a nine and isnt afraid of the sevens fro that reason, not because he can beat three sevens. In terms of the raise on the end, I might be a little careful with the size of that raise, because if he happened to have KK (though unlikely), you're giong to get popped for all your chips and you're goign to have to call.

In so far as the comment that suggests you're up against a boat, I doubt it. I guess he could have nines full but if he's even semi-conscious he'll either reraise the flop, bet stronger on the turn, or reraise the turn. It's hard to believe he'd min-bluff-raise preflop with 79 because he has to think he's going to get called. His minraise is probably a big hand, wants to keep action raise, not trying to push you off your blind.

It's worthy of pointing out here that a lot of weak players who play a lot of poker have taken bad beats against their big hands and so they have begun to play them passively when they dont improve on the flop. He probably has AK or QQ down through TT in this hand. He likes it, doesnt feel like he can get away with it, but he's afraid of it because he's had a history of losing to hands like oh, say, 75o, from people who call raises preflop with it. Did I mention you should have folded to begin with preflop?