PDA

View Full Version : Critique this please

RevAgain
02-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.33 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (14.33 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 14.33 BB

lil'
02-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Looks like the button knows you are raising light.

The flop and turn look easy enough, but I'm not sure why you didn't bet the river. You were very aggressive, and if he has a weak ace he'd be happy just to check it through, but he would probably call you if you bet.

Anders_G
02-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Bet the river, if someone had a set they would'we raised the turn to charge as much as possible from any flush-draws. You could be beat by a higher flush but you are ahead often enough to bet.

Also, you seem to have a quite aggressive table-image - this is the time to use it to extract extra bets from players who think you're just being reckless.

Kaz The Original
02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
If I am raising light, I'll do it with a hand like 86s. Was there some reason you did it with that hand? I'd prefer to wait for 87s if I'm raising for metagame considerations.

Flop is fine, turn is natural, but bet the damned river! You 8 makes it less likely he had A8.

andyfox
02-18-2005, 01:07 PM
"You 8 makes it less likely he had A8."

And more likely to be scared of trip 8s.

RevAgain
02-18-2005, 05:02 PM
A) What the hell is metagame!?

B) Yeah, the reason I posted was because I was really unsure about the river. I'm surprised I've not had anyone complaining about the flop raise, I thought that was a given mistake - perhaps not? I do play an aggressive game short handed but 86s with an UTG caller seemed a bit over the top to me here.

My flush was good, I was sure it was good on the turn but when the board paired I was really scared of a set making a full house. I think the guy above, Anders, who said they would have bet when the third heart came down was right though. I was seeing monsters under the bed. A clear value bet missed.

Thanks for the advice guys.

KidPokerX
02-18-2005, 05:35 PM
river bet

Kaz The Original
02-18-2005, 05:40 PM
I do not understand what you mean. Hero has a flush (you probably know this, don't get me wrong, I just don't see what you mean. )

highland
02-18-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

B) I'm surprised I've not had anyone complaining about the flop raise, I thought that was a given mistake - perhaps not? I do play an aggressive game short handed but 86s with an UTG caller seemed a bit over the top to me here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's a pretty bad mistake. Everyone assumed that your cat stepped on the "Raise" button pre-flop and analyzed from there.

BTW, what were your opponent's holdings? I assume UTG has JT (one is a heart?) and the button has an ace with a pretty good kicker.

tpir90036
02-18-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) What the hell is metagame!?

[/ QUOTE ]
From the dictionary:
meta-, prefix.
Beyond; transcending; more comprehensive.

So we have the game you are playing (poker) and the metagame -- The game outside and all around the actual rules of holdem: What your image is...what their image is... how the two affect one another....how people might react to you in future hands based on the play of this one. It's the actual game of holdem plus all of the other factors that go into the way people may or may not be playing in that game at the current moment.

I am sure someone who is good with words (Tommy, Srendhi, etc.) could write a beautiful story about the ebb and flow of the metagame....but that ain't me. Just think of it as all of the factors in playing the game that go beyond "the flop is three cards dealt at the same time face up in the middle of the table."

RevAgain
02-19-2005, 10:48 AM
I meant I thought I could be up against a set, when the board paired I wasn't scared of A8 but of a set which just filled up to a full house. I was pretty sure it was a mistake at the time not to bet out but wanted opinions.

I understand what a metagame is now, never heard the term before, thanks for clarifying.

I meant pre-flop raising mistake of course, as people realised.