PDA

View Full Version : An old exercise in handreading and self play evaluation

bernie
02-18-2005, 08:36 AM
This is an old exercise I used to do a bit here and there. I still do it at times. It can get as deep as you want depending on the factors you put in. It's pretty quick, really. It helps see how predictable you might be in certain situations. It can also help make others' play that much easier to read. It also can help not overread situations by making the read against the average player easier by realizing what level they're likely thinking on. It can also make you very self-aware of your own game.

It's playing a hand against yourself. Say you're in a hand, even if you folded and just observed it or whatever scenario you come up with. Look at the board and remember the action. If you played player A's hand, what possible hands would you have represented on all streets with his action? How about player b's and how he played against player A? How would you have played it differently? Now, what if you were both player A and B, what would you be putting you on in both positions? You can add C's and Ds but it can get kind of muddled. I found it's better just with the 'action' players.

Ex.

Say everyone limps, and the flop comes with a couple draws. Given player A's holding, how would you play the flop? Now, as player B, knowing you're player A, how would you play the flop against him based on his range of hands? Then back and forth. Decide if your range of hands is wide enough in betting in that spot given the factors. Especially depending on what your goal is given said action. Some actions you obviously want callers and action, some you don't.

The part that makes it somewhat easier to read your average opponent is that they won't even come close to thinking near this deep or analytical. Their plays will look much more predictable in general. However, once you find yourself playing against a thinking player, you might find it easier to stay a possible step ahead of them or on level with them. But in that case, try not to overread the situation. You might even be able to see more clearly what level they're at which makes adjusting to them a bit easier.

If you find it easy to put yourself on hand early in the hand, your game 'might' be too predictable. This is one reason why the players who don't bet draws on the flop, and always c/r or raise the turn with trips or sets are predictable when they bet out on a flop with a draw.

You will then be able to ask yourself if your the type of player you'd like to see on you table and be up against. You may find you won't know how to effectively play against yourself.

Anyways, I hope I explained it right and you get the idea. Just something to ponder in those few minutes before doing something.

Cya.

b

Octopus
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
This deserves a bump. (But I think it is going to make my head hurt. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

bernie
02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I think it is going to make my head hurt

[/ QUOTE ]

It might. Especially when you really get into a good hand/board. You'll end up in kind of a circle trying to outthink/outplay yourself.

It's just a quick exercise. Not one that anyone would spend hours at a time doing. Unless they're nuts. Usually just a spare 3-5 mins of freetime somewhere.

b

runa
02-18-2005, 07:41 PM
This sounds hard. I think it would take me a little longer than 3-5 minutes. /images/graemlins/frown.gif