PDA

View Full Version : 150-300 hand

09-04-2002, 03:12 PM
A friend who sweated me on this hand thought it was interesting enough to discuss it with me for a while, so I thought I would see what you think.

I raise in early position with AJo, mp and the bb call. mp, although a tournament star, has been playing solid all night and is a big winner. bb is a very aggressive high limit regular, who (imo) plays way too many hands and likes to always get in the last raise.

Flop is AQJ, rainbow. bb checks, I bet and both call. Turn is a 3, putting two diamonds on the board. bb checks, I bet, mp raises, bb reraises! What should I do now /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

more later...

09-04-2002, 03:34 PM
I wish we knew the flop suits. This is very important.

MP:

Cold calls raise. This means AQs, KQs, AJs usually. Some players will do this with AA or KK, others with QQ, JJ.

MP does not read you for a bluff. Could he have 2 diamonds and not beat or tie you? Only if he has KQs. If the Q is tha flop diamond, then this is impossible. We really need to know which card was the flop diamond.

The BB may be a nut, but he has to have SOMETHING. This is either a monster draw - TdJd, 8d9d, AdKd, AdTd, AdXd or a real hand, like a broadway straight or a turned set (perhaps a flopped set). Unfortunately, he could also have QJ, so we can't be so sure about him.

The good news is that the MP has you beat the vast majority of the time, and you now face 2 bets and posibly more to see the river, where you probably have 2 outs, and possibly none.

I think it's time for a sad fold.

Dan Z.

09-05-2002, 02:21 AM
My 2 cents: MP flopped a set or top 2 with AQ; the bastard on the button could have flopped the nuts with K-10s. They are both telling you that AK or AJ is drawing very thin or is dead in the water. Save your money.

snakehead
09-05-2002, 07:01 AM
Good advice for most of these situations, but I called. I couldn't put mp on AA, QQ, JJ, or AQ, because I thought he would have reraised me btf with these hands. Also, I didn't think he would call my raise with KT, so I put him on QJ. The bb could have had anything from a flush draw to two pair, to a set, to the nuts. So I had to call him.

When I called, mp folded. That told me he didn't have two pair, or AK, as he would have had to call one more bet with either of those, so I asked him the next day and he said he had a small Ace and was trying to buy the pot. The river was the 9d, putting three diamonds on the board. bb checked, now what?

mike l.
09-05-2002, 04:59 PM
"bb checked, now what?"

if you bet for value you have to fold to a checkraise right? yikes. bet for value anyways. i put him on a smaller two pair.

it's apparent to me now that snakehead is 3 bet brett so id like to go on record as saying that i now hate the way both these hands were played /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

mikelow
09-05-2002, 06:24 PM
I would be folding to a raise anyway.

snakehead
09-06-2002, 01:47 AM
I had to think about this one for a while. I thought he probably had two pair or a busted draw, but he might also have been trying for one more check raise. I wimped out and checked, mostly because I didn't want to pay off another raise.

He said "two pair" and I turned my hand up as is the custom in games this size. He mucked.