PDA

View Full Version : Playing slow pitch softball

Rick Diesel
02-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Anyone here do it? I was a baseball player in high school and college, and always thought that softball was a little bit below me. I am certainly not in baseball playing shape any more, and was considering playing softball this summer. Is this gay?

On a side note, the guy that runs the team asked me to help him come up with a team name. Any good ideas?

mikeyvegas
02-18-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, the guy that runs the team asked me to help him come up with a team name. Any good ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Crew.

bosoxfan
02-18-2005, 12:53 AM
I play. At the feild we play at they sell $1.00 drafts at the snack bar. I feel we show great restraint as we only had to forfeit one game last year due to team drunkeness.

istewart
02-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Congratulations. You have just graduated, and become a professional fgt.

nolanfan34
02-18-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations. You have just graduated, and become a professional fgt.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean? And also, how old are you? If you are under 23, trust me, your view will change in another 5 years.

I don't play, but have friends that do. The competitive levels of men's softball can be pretty damn tough.

underaged
02-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Overall, I think physical activity is overrated. I mean, I've had my fair share of sports and whatnot (I wrestled for two years, last year varsity). I don't really judge a sport as "gay" considering I grapple with sweaty muscular boys.

However, a cool team name would be "1337 pwnz0r"

istewart
02-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I am well under 23, and don't believe that I will ever be involved in these activities. If you want to stay active with the sport, have a kid and coach his team. Men's softball is far below weak.

Matty
02-18-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am well under 23

[/ QUOTE ]Shocking

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am well under 23, and don't believe that I will ever be involved in these activities. If you want to stay active with the sport, have a kid and coach his team. Men's softball is far below weak.

[/ QUOTE ]you are a [censored] moron.

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 03:14 AM
dude, play it, it may very well be one of the funnest summer activities you can do.

Men's softball is far better than co-ed softball, but it is also way more competitive. Some of the players seriously crush the ball.

nolanfan34
02-18-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am well under 23

[/ QUOTE ]Shocking

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I'd say the difference in thought and opinion on stuff like this is a far greater gap from age 21 to 29 than any other similar gap.

Rick Nebiolo
02-18-2005, 03:17 AM
a few years after college i pitched for a team in a local league (btw, 2+2 politics and other topics poster john cole was on that team). anyway, my control was so good, my arc/lob so high, and our defense so quick and sure handed (except for the shortstop jack a. who was team captain) that we gave up less than three runs per game and easily won the championship /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ rick

PS if memory serves me i also led the team in batting average. i was tall, skinny and weak but in a long sleeve shirt i looked like i had power. i'd come up to the plate swinging fiercely, the outfielders would play back (there was no fence) and i'd lob soft liners over the second baseman's head into right field /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

siccjay
02-18-2005, 03:23 AM
LMAO funny.

Softball is huge here. I doubt you would call any softball players gay.

I've seen people who were great baseball players in high school be mediocre softball players and vice versa.

wcsherry
02-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Why would playing softball be gay?

For one, you're just playing for the hell of it with friends. Second, this basically gives you an exuse to play an easy game and go out to the bars afterwards and get sloshed.

Conclusion: Softball = +EV

~wcsherry

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Conclusion: Softball = +EV

[/ QUOTE ] definitely.

Benholio
02-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Men playing softball = not gay.
Women playing softball = mostly gay.

Nothing wrong with either one.

InchoateHand
02-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Its the new bowling.

morgan180
02-18-2005, 03:52 AM
Dude - don't play softball - there are so many other summer sports that are much more +EV than softball. If you've ever listened to Jim Rome then you know the types of people that play softball - and they are definitely -EV.

I played baseball through college and I played in one softball game and almost puked it was so boring/slow/bad/time wasting...

play golf, play pickup basketball, play 'shoes, something, just not softball.

it's the worst.

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 03:53 AM
nothing you said was correct.

InchoateHand
02-18-2005, 03:53 AM
Yes, softball is so boring, take up golf...or horseshoes, now there's something you can do three times a week for three months. Great plan. Really ratcheting up the excitement meter now.

wcsherry
02-18-2005, 03:56 AM
like i said before..

Playing softball is about chilling out with your friends, hitting a REALLY slow moving ball far as hell.. and then going out with your friends to a bar and drinking a lot.

How does this not sound like a good time?

Matty
02-18-2005, 03:57 AM
Indoor soccer leagues are getting pretty popular here. Mostly 20-something chicks and very non-athletic guys. You'll feel great about yourself afterwards.

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
like i said before..

Playing softball is about chilling out with your friends, hitting a REALLY slow moving ball far as hell.. and then going out with your friends to a bar and drinking a lot.

How does this not sound like a good time?

[/ QUOTE ]That doesn't sound like a good time if you are gay.

InchoateHand
02-18-2005, 04:00 AM
Really? I played indoor soccer as a kid, and it was [censored] intense. We would play 10 minute or 15 minutes halfs, and six teams would play eachother in a one-day round-robin tournament. I can't imagine the varieties of pain I would put myself in charging around a gymnasium after a soccer ball now. But [censored], if the conditions you described are accurate, maybe I'll make my thrilling comeback.

morgan180
02-18-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, softball is so boring, take up golf...or horseshoes, now there's something you can do three times a week for three months. Great plan. Really ratcheting up the excitement meter now.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, playing sports where you can hold a beer 95% of the time is a terrible idea. my mistake.

morgan180
02-18-2005, 04:11 AM
if you want to play baseball play in an amatuer baseball league, they're all over the place...now that is fun.

softball combines the worst of all sports in to one:

if you want a sport where you can drink and relax softball is no good because you can only drink in the dougout and maybe the outfield, so halft the time you can't drink

if you want a sport with competition the game moves too slow, hence my recommendations.

if you want to chill and drink do something that allows you to do that - then pick a sport that suits that continually

if you want to be competitive pick a sport that lets you do that ...

softball is one of those sports where the mix just does not work out well..and i say this with baseball being my favorite sport.

indoor soccer is solid though - if you can find a place to play its sweet.

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 04:15 AM
the dumbness of your points gets fiercer and fiercer.

morgan180
02-18-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the dumbness of your points gets fiercer and fiercer.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you, your obtuseness is awe-inspiring.

MrFeelNothin
02-18-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the difference in thought and opinion on stuff like this is a far greater gap from age 21 to 29 than any other similar gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, istewart and morgan are just insecure about their sexual preferences.

When I was 15 my whole baseball team joined a slowpitch softball league after our baseball season ended. Those old dudes pwned us, we didn't even come close to winning a game. It was awesome though, I plan on doing it again sometime when I get old(er) and can actually drink during the games.

ThaSaltCracka
02-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Why softball is fun.

1. It is an easy sport to play, with fairly easy rules. It is also easier to hit, field, catch, and throw the ball. Therefore it is easy for people who didn't play much baseball to play.

2. The games are the perfect pace and length. Usually a game takes 50 minutes to an hour, which is great.

3. For the most part its a casual game, unless you play in a competitive league, then its probably the most intense sport outside of anything professional to play, no joke.

4. Basically you are hanging out with your buddies, drinking beers and shooting the [censored]. After the game you all go out for beer and pizza or whatever, so its a great time.

5. Played during the summer, when the weather is always great. NOTHING beats playing ball in the sun, except.... playing ball under the lights on a humid summer night.

Hope that wasn't to obtuse for you, and I am done discussing this with you.

Jake (The Snake)
02-18-2005, 04:58 AM
oh god this is ridiculous. The three best BASEBALL players in my town play competitive men's softball and kick serious ass. It gets much more competitive than you realize... nitwit. Oh yeah, I'm 18 btw and play baseball.

Jake (The Snake)
02-18-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5. Played during the summer, when the weather is always great. NOTHING beats playing ball in the sun, except.... playing ball under the lights on a humid summer night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will sleep well tonight. It's all about loving the game man!

And no, I'm not gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Rick Nebiolo
02-18-2005, 05:21 AM
Great post - brought back memories circa 1979. Softball was easy, intense, and fun. That's a good combination IMHO.

~ Rick

PS Anyone that says the forum isn't as good as it used to be is just plain wrong (even though I was a bigger fish in a smaller pond back then /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

~ Rick

daryn
02-18-2005, 05:25 AM
i'm a big fan of this. we used to play every spring semester at umass, intamural softball. it's the best. i also played on a buddy's work's team once, back when i was like 17. all my friends are much older than me, so they were all mid-20s at the time.

MrFeelNothin
02-18-2005, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. The games are the perfect pace and length. Usually a game takes 50 minutes to an hour, which is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

WC64
02-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I play in a coed league with people from work every season and its a blast. We usually drink a lot though lol.

Stupendous_Man
02-18-2005, 10:07 AM
The key is knowing what "type" of league it is vs. what you're wanting to play. As others have stated, there are some leagues that are VERY competitive and then there are leagues that are more social. I haven't played in years, but when I did, I played in more of a social league. We played a number of tournaments around the state.

I remember one tournament clearly. Before our game started, we watched the one going on at the field we where scheduled to play. Both teams scores were in the 50's! The rule for that league was only 3 players from each team were allowed to hit home runs (over the fence). It was the first 3 batters to do it. So, the players on each team "battled" for the first 3 slots in the batting order. If anyone else on the team hit it over the fence, it was an out. Since I didn't play that level, I have zero idea of how fun it was, but with a rule like this (where only 3 players from each team are allowed to hit homeruns) it kind of shows you how competitive it can get. I knew a couple of guys who basically played the game for a living (not much money in it). They would play on 3 different teams each season (obviously not in the same league) and travel around the state winning leagues and tournaments that paid money. The teams had home and away uniforms! Not just T-shirts from a local bar that was sponsoring the team.

Bottom line: in can be fun, if you get in a league and team that matches what you're looking for in them.

Shajen
02-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Rick,

You seriously need to do this. It's a great time man.

I've played in several different leagues. It's a fun way to kill a few hours in the evenings a couple times a week.

have fun man.