PDA

View Full Version : Guarding your hand

10-10-2001, 04:16 PM
I am a person with a lot of book knowledge but not much real poker experience. I've played live poker maybe seven times. Chicago is not the place to live if you want to play poker. Anyways, I was in Vegas this weekend playing 1-5 stud and the guy on my left was not guarding his hand very well. I was not quite sure how to handle this. Initially I thought I should tell the guy to guard his hand, and undoubtedly this would be the gentlemanly thing to do. On the other hand, the guy on my left was someone who had obviously been playing poker for quite some time and who should really know better, so I ended up keeping my mouth shut and making some money off his undisciplined flashing of his hand. I feel like if the guy had been more of a newbie, I might have said something.

How do you handle this situation, and am I scum for taking advantage of this situation?

GDD

10-10-2001, 07:17 PM
From a practical manner if you consciense is going to bother you than that will cost you a LOT in mental distraction, so go ahead and say something to him once, or just put your hand in between his cards and your eyes and make it obvious.

Also from a practical manner you need to NOT make it obvious you are looking.

Otherwise its fair game.

- Louie

10-11-2001, 01:40 AM
In a 1-5 stud game, I always tell my neighbor I could see his cards. But if he keeps flashing, I don't say anything more and just use the information to my advantage.