PDA

View Full Version : posting etiquette suggestion

detruncate
02-17-2005, 11:31 PM
In keeping with current efforts to make this forum a better place, I'd like to propose an informal 5x playthrough requirement. This means joining the conversation in at least 5 threads for each one we post. Give an opinion, ask a question... whatever. Just as long as it's an effort to engage on a meaningful level.

Better analysis = more $ for all. If enough people commit to this, it shouldn't be long before we start to see results.

Any takers?

tytygoodnuts
02-17-2005, 11:34 PM
YES

tiltaholic
02-17-2005, 11:37 PM
definitely!

and everyone should go check out clarkmeister's post to this effect in the small stakes forum.

btspider
02-17-2005, 11:38 PM
by a quick count, i was at a 14:1 ratio this past month.
(search "+re:" and "-re:" in the titles of your posts)

new topics are overrated.

shadow29
02-17-2005, 11:41 PM
im like 100000000:1 in the last month or so.

bottomset
02-17-2005, 11:50 PM
i think i've only posted 1 hand in the past couple weeks, but its mostly newer posters flooding

maybe make the FAQ sticky 3times bigger, with glowing text??

detruncate
02-18-2005, 02:44 AM
Yeah. I'm about the same. This is probably a futile gesture, but I'd love to see more debate and less volume.

For anyone who hasn't read it, Clakmeister's thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1748707&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=4#Post1754066) in SS is what motivated me to make the suggestion.

Shillx
02-18-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm running at like 200:1. It's mainly n00bs who post a lot of hands. What they need to figure out is that they will learn more by responding to other's hands/questions then posting their own.

Brad

Dead
02-18-2005, 02:50 AM
I've learned this. When I first came here a week ago I posted a lot of hands in here.

I now try to post lots in other people's threads instead so I don't clutter up the board.

Haven't made a post in 4 days. Feels kinda weird. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

detruncate
02-18-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm running at like 200:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the goods, sir. For serious.

[ QUOTE ]
It's mainly n00bs who post a lot of hands. What they need to figure out is that they will learn more by responding to other's hands/questions then posting their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're right, of course. Just figured that if enough recently arrived dedicated posters jumped on board we might generate enough momentum to make a difference. I get stupidly optimistic from time to time. Good thing it doesn't linger.

By the by... I'll have to donate some money to you HU one of these days. Playing poorly at a 2+2 table woke up my inner masochist. Though I did enjoy one fun blind v blind incident against a certain 200:1 type cat.

Shillx
02-18-2005, 04:38 AM
You play poker? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

No way you were at a 2+2 table...you shoud have said something. I was probably really drunk at the time but oh well.

Honestly I'm not really good HU. I played zephed and he destroyed me. I was wasted but I was much to aggro. I'm sure it would be a good match for both of us. I can certainly use the practice. If you have a stars account, let me know anytime (afternoon to latenight) you are interested and you see me on the boards (not Thursday - Saturday as I'm at the B&M).

Brad

tiltaholic
02-18-2005, 01:55 PM
clarkmeister says so. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1748707&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=4#Post1754066)

dkernler
02-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I agree. I started out posting hands because I was afraid to comment, but now I'm enjoying replying more. I feel like I get just as much out of looking at interesting hands and posting as I would out of complaining how my nut flush was busted when the board paired on the river.

Greg J
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
I think most of the regulars already engage in this policy. I have never seen it spelled out before though -- I guess it has just been an intuitive thing for me. Great idea to spell this out like this detr -- I think it should be part of the FAQ at the top of the board.

GrunchCan
02-18-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In keeping with current efforts to make this forum a better place, I'd like to propose an informal 5x playthrough requirement. This means joining the conversation in at least 5 threads for each one we post. Give an opinion, ask a question... whatever. Just as long as it's an effort to engage on a meaningful level.

Better analysis = more $ for all. If enough people commit to this, it shouldn't be long before we start to see results.

Any takers?

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'll be bumping this thread at least once per day.

tiltaholic
02-18-2005, 02:05 PM
if you don't i will. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
-t

GrunchCan
02-18-2005, 02:15 PM
This is only a psudo-bump.

Here's one reason why replying is better than posting.

Most hands we play are marginal, and of questionable value. That's where we make most of our money. Since the edges are so thin on these hands, the advanatges on one line versus another is also often thin.

The best discussions in this forum and SS - IMO - occur when someone posts a hand, and several posters disagree about the right line to take. This is even more true when the "big name" posters disagree with each other. The best discussions Iv'e ever seen happened when an an-depth analysis of a marginal line is conducted to support one side or another of an argument. This only happens in the replies, not in the post. And if the forum is flooded with ABC hand after ABC hand, no one thread can get enough face time to gather this kind of debate.

Post less! Reply more!

flopwell
02-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I guess I'm not your typical n00b then....I have yet to post a new topic......I figured I would reply to a few and take my flamings there first

pokerrookie
02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I'm about the same. This is probably a futile gesture, but I'd love to see more debate and less volume.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree....

GrunchCan
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree....

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying that you think there should be more new posts, and fewer replies in each individual post?

If so, you got some 'splainin to do.

memphis57
02-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Okay, glad this post was made, I'll gladly comply. In fact, I'll bet I'm not alone in thinking the policy was the other way, that n00bs were discouraged from replying so they wouldn't give bad advice.

I guess on second thought, nobody has ever been shy about correcting perceived errors on this board /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was shillx's mirror before this post, running about 1:200 (well, 1:20 at least) but I'll fix that now. I've always gotten a lot out of reading other peoples hands and I'm sure I'll get even more out of saying a few dumb things and getting corrected.

One question, do you think we n00b's should throw in comments like "don't mind me I'm a n00b so this might be wrong, but I was thinking..." or can I dispense with that?

jar
02-18-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

One question, do you think we n00b's should throw in comments like "don't mind me I'm a n00b so this might be wrong, but I was thinking..." or can I dispense with that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I could go either way on this. I put disclaimers in my posts when I started replying. If you have a low post count, most people will take your advice with a grain of salt anyway. In your case with 200 posts, the disclaimer can't hurt if you're not totally confident in your suggestion.

GrunchCan
02-18-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters on e way or the other. If your'e right, your'e right. Just becasue your'e a new poster doesn't mean you can't be right.

If you are wrong, believe me, you will be corrected in short order.

GrunchCan's Posting Theorem: Giving bad advice is what makes the forum great.

Now, isn't that ironic?

mmbt0ne
02-18-2005, 03:40 PM
This is a great, and very important post. Unfortunately, it reminds me that I have a couple hands to post, so I'm about to break the rule. I probably have enough responses saved up to cover it though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

djshawk
02-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Good post, I've managed to get involved in a few close (or not /images/graemlins/blush.gif) decisions and am learning from it. Plus I've put in enough replies for at least 2 hand histories /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

droolie
02-18-2005, 03:58 PM
I encourage new posters to post their thoughts whether they think they are right or wrong. I learn more through getting smacked down when I give poor analysis than through any other activity. I learn a lot! LOL!

Here are some tips to couch your comments if your new.

I usually say, "I would raise here..." if I'm unsure or it's close.

If I'm sure and it's not even close I'll say, "You have to raise here.... and it's not even close. Do you see why?" LOL!

Vern
02-18-2005, 06:19 PM
How many responses do you need per "(low content)" post?

Vern

TomBrooks
02-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Someone awnsering a hand question often learns as much or more about the hand than the person asking it. In order to provide a good answer, a person has to think about the situation and consider all the angles and implications. If they are unsure of something, they may have to crack a book or think about it more deeply, thereby enhancing their own knowledge so they can pass on good information. Alternately, this thought process may result in the asking of a related question; which is also good because it will tend to make the topic more thoroughly discussed and understood anyway.

For these reasons, although I'm only a beginner player, I like to awnser some of the hand questions that I think I can come up with the right answer to. I treat it like an open book test. If I'm right, I get my understanding confirmed; if I'm wrong, I learn a better way. =TomBk

Stuey
02-19-2005, 04:45 PM
I have posted some very bad advice. /images/graemlins/blush.gif I expected much harsher reactions but only received a polite, informative correction. Thanks everyone im getting it slowly. Take all my posts with a grain of salt. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

easypete
02-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Can

easypete
I post

easypete
a

easypete
02-19-2005, 05:14 PM
hand

easypete
now?

easypete
In all seriousness... great suggestion.

memphis57
02-19-2005, 05:54 PM
lol, cheater

LoaferGee12
02-20-2005, 10:51 PM
This should be stickied.

Nikademus
02-20-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's mainly n00bs who post a lot of hands. What they need to figure out is that they will learn more by responding to other's hands/questions then posting their own.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's because, as a "n00b", we feel we don't have much to offer the established people here. I'm here because I'm relatively new to Hold'em, and have been increasing my play enough to start asking for feedback. Once I'm sure I'm not an awful player /images/graemlins/wink.gif, I'll start commenting on existing threads. It just takes time for people to settle in, and start viewing their own opinion as valuable.

KingOtter
02-21-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I could go either way on this. I put disclaimers in my posts when I started replying. If you have a low post count, most people will take your advice with a grain of salt anyway. In your case with 200 posts, the disclaimer can't hurt if you're not totally confident in your suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I have more posts than I feel my advice warrants, lol.

KO

Isura
03-09-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Any takers?

[/ QUOTE ]

BUMP.

Nomad84
03-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Guess my post got lost...so I'll try again.

Great suggestion. Before reading this thread, my point of view was such that I would prefer not to post responses to most of the hand threads because I really didn't know what was the "best" play for a situation. I now see the light.

I should reply as often as I can. Worst case scenario: I'm right. More likely, I'll mess something up in which case I get a free lesson and potentially improve my game. Thanks for the advice!

Yobz
03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
25:1! (Now 26:1)...I think we could make something like "you are not allowed to post a new thread until you have at least 25 posts" or something like that. So you can only post your own stuff once you've responded to other things

yellowjack
03-27-2005, 07:10 PM
The original post needs a re-read.