PDA

View Full Version : How 2 Eat Sushi

theBruiser500
02-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Is sushi a dinner in itself? Is it supposed to be eaten with other stuff? How many pieces of sushi do you eat? I just had big pieces of sushi and tried eating it in 2 bites but after the first bite it feel apart. still tasted great, but am i supposed to eat all sushi thingies in one bite?

Freakin
02-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Suck it up son. Just take it all in one bite. Wash it down with some Sake and you're ready for the next bite. The only thing I have a hard time with is the oversized rolls that have cream cheese and crap in them. That just makes me gag. Give me some nigiri and I'm good to go.

Freakin.

istewart
02-17-2005, 11:05 PM
When I'm done eating sushi I tend to feel like I want to puke. Then I go bathe in soy sauce.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 11:08 PM
You're probably eating too quickly. The rice expands a fair amount in your stomach. Take your time next time and see how it goes.

Freakin

WillMagic
02-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Use your hands...with the rolls, you generally want to take it in one bite, and with the standard fish on top of rice, pick it up and take it in two bites.

Will

Freakin
02-17-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with the standard fish on top of rice, pick it up and take it in two bites.

[/ QUOTE ]

This leads to uneven distribution of the wasabi under the fish, and generally spills rice all over the place. Not to mention that it's hard as hell. Do you sharpen your teeth with a file or something? Do you use soysauce on this nigiri when you're holding it with your hands? Seems too messy.

Freakin

rusellmj
02-17-2005, 11:40 PM
It's cool to eat with your hands. A decent joint will have wash rags to initially wash your hands when you sit down. Also, turn the sushi upside down (fish side down) when you dip into the soy sauce. This is to prevent obliterating the delicate flavors by soaking the rice. Sushi is really a fun way to eat. I always try something new when I go.

Russ

Voltron87
02-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Wait, do you mean you want to get the rice damp with soy sauce or not? Are we preventing the soy sauce from touching the rice or the contents of the roll?

WillMagic
02-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, It's kind of a two-bites in one motion thing, now that I think about it. But it is definitely true that you don't want to eat nigiri with chopsticks. Maki is another issue.

Will

Freakin
02-17-2005, 11:50 PM
I'm always eating nigiri with chopsticks. Do we have a resident sushi chef here that can culture us on this topic? Chopsticks + nigiri has always been easiest for me, though if you sqeeze too hard when you dip you're likely to leave a lot of rice in the soy sauce bowl.

Freakin

02-17-2005, 11:55 PM
as someone who eats sushi almost every night, I offer what I have been told by those that know more than me:

1. Nigiri should be eaten with the fingers, not chopsticks
2. Don't soak the rice in the soy sauce; dip the fish side
3. Nigiri should be eaten with the fish side down, so it is the fish touching the tongue, not the rice
4. Hand roll gets eaten first or the seaweed paper outside will get soggy
5. Go with the fried ice cream dessert

Bluffoon
02-17-2005, 11:57 PM
With a little practice you can turn the sushi fish side down and slide your chopsticks under it and dip it into the bowl of soy sauce and slide the whole piece into your mouth all at once.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 11:58 PM
I concede. I'll give it a shot next time I hit up Aoki.

Freakin

rusellmj
02-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Your avatar rules Freak.

Russ

Mike Gallo
02-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Mr Bruiser,

Order a plum wine with Absolut, and order a dragon roll and an ell roll to start. Not hand rolls mind you, real rolls.

Mix the wasabi and low sodium soy sauce with your chop sticks and your good to go.

I use my bare hands as compared to most people who use chop sticks. I have had friends who had their own porcelain chop sticks.

Ray Zee
02-18-2005, 01:47 AM
some soy sauce and a little wasabi(horseradish) on top. pop it in your mouth in one bite. then think about only eating vegitarian sushi as that doesnt have the chance of getting hook worms from raw fish and tastes just as good. to me anyway.

Boris
02-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Whatever you do, dont eat the uni. I went to an upscale sushi joint today for a business lunch. All these Japanese guys are like "eat the uni Boris. Eat the uni!" Uni is the gonads of a sea urchin. It was all I could to keep from puking all over the upscale wasabe, the upscale chopsticks and my upscale Khaki's. I have an iron stomach but that sht was one of the worst things I've ever tasted.

Rushmore
02-18-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm done eating sushi I tend to feel like I want to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get sashimi instead of sushi. That way, you'll be eating less rice.

Also, mix up the variety; don't get all raw fish. Get some eel (of course), get some spider roll (soft shell crab), get some smoked mackerel, and get some salmon skin roll. Get hand rolls for a nice change.

Eat slowly, and drink a lot of Sapporo or sake.

Skip the tempura.

PhatTBoll
02-18-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, dont eat the uni. I went to an upscale sushi joint today for a business lunch. All these Japanese guys are like "eat the uni Boris. Eat the uni!" Uni is the gonads of a sea urchin. It was all I could to keep from puking all over the upscale wasabe, the upscale chopsticks and my upscale Khaki's. I have an iron stomach but that sht was one of the worst things I've ever tasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wuss. I love uni.

SCfuji
02-18-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is sushi a dinner in itself? Is it supposed to be eaten with other stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

it can be any type of meal you want.

[ QUOTE ]
How many pieces of sushi do you eat?

[/ QUOTE ]

i can eat close to 65 pieces at an all you can eat bar. they hate me =]. and yes i only weigh 160.

[ QUOTE ]
I just had big pieces of sushi and tried eating it in 2 bites but after the first bite it feel apart. still tasted great, but am i supposed to eat all sushi thingies in one bite?

[/ QUOTE ]

with respect to the sushi falling apart, use your hands. its not considered dirty or ill-mannered. make sure you dont dump the sushi into too much soy sauce or it will lose its flavor. and most importantly try as many different kinds as you can to find what you like. you will be surprised. i never used to eat anything other than tuna when i was a kid. now that ive grown a little bit i eat many different kinds of sushi and enjoy every bit.

Zeno
02-18-2005, 02:47 AM
I had some Ahi(Sp?) at a fancy resturtant for an appetizer. Chomped and slurped the stuff right down. It was super-duper. Green stuffy and some horsey radish relish stuffy-wuffy on the side in some fancy pussy-wussy bowls. Or something. It was all good.

Not as good as fresh caught, pan-fried cutthroat trout, but then, what is.

-Zeno

SCfuji
02-18-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Don't soak the rice in the soy sauce; dip the fish side

[/ QUOTE ]

im anal about stuff like this. take the fish off and dip the side that came touching the rice into the soy sauce and then place the fish back on the rice and then consume.

SCfuji
02-18-2005, 03:04 AM
ray, not eating fish at a sushi bar is like mucking AA utg in the party .5/1 game.

Ray Zee
02-18-2005, 03:11 AM
i know but its not something to be taken lightly. once you get those hook worms they are there.

ethan
02-18-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wuss. I love uni.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time I tried uni, I really wasn't a fan. I gave it a year or so, tried it again and loved it. I usually order it with quail egg.

http://www.sushimainst.com/sushi/Food/uni14.gif

ethan
02-18-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i know but its not something to be taken lightly. once you get those hook worms they are there.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hookworm is generally treated with the drug mebendazole. This drug cures more than 99 percent of all cases of hookworm if given twice per day for three days. It kills both the worms and the eggs."

link (http://www.personalmd.com/news/hookworm_072600.shtml)

Raw fish tastes too good for me to give it up.

Shillx
02-18-2005, 05:31 AM
This thread clearly isn't complete without El Diablo's opinion, given that he is culinary expert...

Brad

Rushmore
02-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Here's a link that may help:

http://www.eatsushi.com/

Click the "sushi etiquette" link in the upper right hand corner. A few wasabi facts ( I found the "no-mixing" fact to be very enlightening), but then the dipping question is answered.

One thing that never gets discussed is the ginger. It is used to cleanse the palate between different types of fish, and should be used accordingly.

I encourage all of the people of Earth to go to their nearest Japanese restaurant and order 3 orders each of unagi and anago sashimi. The fresh water eel and the sea eel are unique to one another, and oh so yummy and goot for you.

I would put eel on my cereal in the morning if I thought I could get away with it.

But we must show some restraint, I am told.

Ulysses
02-18-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread clearly isn't complete without El Diablo's opinion, given that he is culinary expert...

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I eat a ton of sushi. I think, like many other things, the best way to eat it is however is most natural and tasty to you.

Boris
02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
So it's OK if I put ketchup and tabasco on my sushi?

KJS
02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
He's not talking about rolls, he's talking about Nigiri.

KJS

swede123
02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
I like hamburgers. They don't require detailed instructions, you just grab the burger and eat. If you absolutely have to go the fish route I guess fish n' chips is an acceptable substitute: grab the fish and eat. Does my simple mind make me a dining backpacker? (I'm still not sure how this insult relates to rap fans btw).

Swede

Ulysses
02-18-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So it's OK if I put ketchup and tabasco on my sushi?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, go for it.