PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10, too aggressive with 77 on the button?

SinCityGuy
02-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Full 5/10 game with too many good players. I'm 4-tabling and I'm going to dump this table when one of my waiting lists come up.

Folded to me on the button with 77, I raise, SB folds, BB 3-bets, I cap. The BB is a tight-aggressive, solid winning player at this limit.

Two to the flop for 8 SB's.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

He bets, I raise, he calls.

Two to the turn for 6 BB's.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Two to the river for 8 BB's.

River: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

He checks, I check.

WillMagic
02-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Why cap?

Not necessarily saying it's bad, but I don't cap here, so I'm wondering why you do.

Will

Freakin
02-17-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't really like it. PF cap is fine; you're ahead of most of his likely holdings. I feel like you backed him into a corner on the flop and he could be calling down with his AK, fearing your KK or AA.

Freakin

WillMagic
02-17-2005, 11:42 PM
So how do you play it differently if you don't mind the preflop cap?

Will

Fat Nicky
02-17-2005, 11:50 PM
A solid player won't attempt a re-steal here and bet into you after you cap pre-flop.

I think you overplayed this pre-flop, which caused you to overplay it on the flop.

CallMeIshmael
02-18-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He bets, I raise, he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you think a solid player bets into you after your PFC with a hand you beat?

Fnord
02-18-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm just calling his 3-bet because I'm concerned about AA-88 enough from a tight player and I'd rather have him spew away chips at me if I plan to take this to showdown anyway more often than not. Pop him back if you hit your set.

DiamondDave
02-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Of the reasonable courses of action, yours is one of the more aggressive.

When the big blind challenges my button raise heads-up, I often just call down if I think I have the best hand. I find that it's tough to prevent an opponent from seeing the whole board in confrontations like this, so raising to protect the 77 isn't an option. Any value bets you make while unimproved are pretty thin, so why make a big deal out of this one?

Clarkmeister
02-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Unlike everyone else, I like preflop. You don't say if you have a diamond, but assuming suits aren't a factor, once he bets the flop, just call him down. He's not folding anything better for sure, and you might get him to fold something crappy that's drawing to 5 outs or less.

Chairman Wood
02-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Much like everyone else, I like the fact that you are posting here. Please do this more often if you can.

Nate tha' Great
02-18-2005, 03:26 AM
I like the preflop cap as well. Among other things, it tends to prevent you from folding the best hand and will sometimes induce him to fold a hand that would be correct to draw.

For example, if he has KQ ... and the board comes A95 rainbow ... you're probably going to win the pot if you'd capped whereas you probably would fold there otherwise.

Now when he leads into you after that action on this board, I suspect he's not just taking a cheap shot at the flop, but rather likes his hand and is very eager to see a showdown. Against some opponents I'm able to make a snap fold right there, against others I'd prefer to just call down provided that the board does not get too scary. I don't raise very often here but if I do it's as much as anything so that I can fold to a 3-bet ... I think this is one case where the information you'll get out of him is fairly reliable and it's cheaper than going to showdown with a 2-outer.

SinCityGuy
02-18-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why cap?

Not necessarily saying it's bad, but I don't cap here, so I'm wondering why you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB will 3-bet lighter on steal attempts (as he should). I will also cap a bit lighter on these steal attempts than I normally would. This increases the likely range of hands that I might have. I do the same with monster hands like AA and KK in steal attempts and defense attempts. The only time I like to slowplay them is heads-up when the raise comes from early position.

SinCityGuy
02-18-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't say if you have a diamond, but assuming suits aren't a factor, once he bets the flop, just call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, and certainly very important.

I had 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

That guy
02-18-2005, 11:02 AM
I think you played this fine... albeit 77 is a marginal play vs a good player.

curious what he had... given his turn call, I think he has a King but concerned about his kicker. I will guess KJ or KT. Not sure a solid player would re-raise with KT or less... the way this was played, he could also have 88-QQ...

SinCityGuy
02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
He had A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif and MHWG.

Sir Limps Alot
02-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Cap pre flop heads up is an alright play but you immediately put him on AK or Aces or Kings or a higher pocket pair. If an ace or king hits the board get out of dodge.
What are you doing betting out after that flop?
He has a better pocket pair or AK and thinks you hit the set.
check fold to a bet.