PDA

View Full Version : AKo... fold on the turn with top pair?

synbad13
02-17-2005, 10:01 PM
SB and BB are our two villains... I have position, but this got scary. I've played 54 hands with BB at VPIP-24.07/PFR-16.67. 58 hands w/ SB at 65.52/3.3.
Definately not enough hands to have super solid reads, but hopefully it will help someone's analysis.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

After a cap on the flop and facing a raise on the turn against two opponents who showed a lot of strength, I folded. Comments and criticism welcome.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Why no flop raise? The only likely hands you're up against that you now beat are KK, JJ, and TT. If you're calling the preflop cap, why not bet when you hit your hand?

Turn,

If you thought your hand was good enough for a call on teh flop, it hasn't gotten any worse on the turn.

I think on a hand like this you need to make up your mind on the flop and play from there.

WillMagic
02-17-2005, 10:08 PM
It's good to see you posting on here.

I'm definitely raising this flop, to define my hand more than anything else. AK could very well be good here...and your raise will help define your opponent's holdings a lot.

To the turn...ugh. I think the laydown here is fine.

Will

WillMagic
02-17-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you thought your hand was good enough for a call on teh flop, it hasn't gotten any worse on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really bad analysis. I would prefer a flop raise, but to say that his hand looks just as good on the turn as it did on the flop is silly. First off, he was getting something like 15-1 pot odds on the flop, while he's only getting 5.5-1 on the turn. Second, the BB woke up and raised the turn after calling the flop....and what hands, exactly, are you putting the BB on that don't beat you? My estimate of his range is...i dunno, AA, QQ, AQ, and AK. And what do you put the SB on?

[ QUOTE ]

I think on a hand like this you need to make up your mind on the flop and play from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean that he needs to raise the flop to define his hand better, I agree....but the idea that he shouldn't reevaluate where his hand stands on the turn is idiotic.

Will

Buck_65
02-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Raise the flop, call a 3-bet, fold the turn when its 2 to you UI.

However, the rest of the hand may play very differently if you raise this flop, so do that next time.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 10:28 PM
My thought process wasn't idiotic, but my post certainly seems that way. My intention was that the 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif didn't improve his opponents hand. He's not really any further behind on the turn than he is on the flop. If BB is now raising when that card comes, he probably wasn't good from the start.

And yes, raising the flop to "define your hand" is much better than raising to "find out where you stand"

Freakin