PDA

View Full Version : AJo in MP - bet scary river for value when checked to?

dark_horse
02-17-2005, 09:19 PM
This is one of those damn hands where I'm not sure if I should bet for value on the river. I've tried to train myself to do it even when scared, and it in the long run it's been so far a profitable move at the 1/2 tables. But in this situation, I couldn't bring myself to bet. UTG bets into me on flop, I raise, he calls. Maybe he thought I was just playing position aggressor since I was the preflop raiser. The flop has two diamonds. On the turn he bets into me AGAIN. Is he trying to build the pot, does he want me to raise his monster? But I raise anyway, figuring my TPTK is good here. River comes an overcard and a 3rd diamond, and he checks. grr. What should I do? No read on player.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (9.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

ArturiusX
02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I doubt if he'd be check-raising you here with a King high, so I'd bet.

dark_horse
02-17-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt if he'd be check-raising you here with a King high, so I'd bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean with a pair of kings. Well, any king and the flush beats me. It was mostly a heads up hand, so he could have been calling down with two overs like KQ, AQ or AK. If I hit my king here and fished for it, I'd probably checkraise. Actually, if my king hits but it's also a diamond, I'd probably just bet out. So yeah it's not likely someone who hit their king with a possible flush out there would go for a check-raise, which made my check bad.

ArturiusX
02-17-2005, 09:34 PM
I still think he'd bet, a decent opponent would know your scared of the flush too and might check it through.

And yes, pair of kings, thanks /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tytygoodnuts
02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
I would say this is a good value bet.