PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me about HDTV

JTG51
02-17-2005, 09:12 PM
I have to buy a new TV. I'm thinking about an HDTV, but I don't really know anything about them.

Will I actually be able to watch any HDTV programming without buying more hardware and subscribing to a new cable service? Like ESPN HD for example?

If I get something in the 32" range, is a 16:9 screen going to be too small for regular TV? How will the size compare to a regular screen at say 27"?

I'd like to spend less than $1000. Any suggestions?

Anything else I need to know before I buy?

guller
02-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Depends on the TV you buy. For under 1000 you will be getting a HDTV ready TV. HDTV ready means you need to buy a HDTV box and service package. Some satellite and cable companies offer HD boxes that you can lease or you can outright buy the box. Boxes range from around 500-1000 dollars depending on what you want. Voom satellite for example leases their boxes for $15 per month.

After you decide on your box option you will need to order the HD pack from your selected service. All companies charge different prices so call to find out exact pricing. All companies also provide different HD channels although the main few are usually provided by all. Your HD box will also let you get your local HD feeds through an over the air antenna. Not all local channels currently broadcast HD but they will soon be required to.

I'll post some links to more info later.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Or if you get an HD tuner built in you can get an antenna for like $50 that will let you pick up all the local channels in HD. 24 in HD is pretty damn sweet. This would obviously not let you get ESPN HD.

Definitely buy at least an HD-ready TV. IIRC, all new TVs made after 2007 or so will be required to be HD-ready, cause the FCC is crackin down on transmissions.

Freakin

Ogre
02-17-2005, 11:55 PM
they suck for videogames /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JTG51
02-18-2005, 02:46 AM
How much more does a built in HDTV tuner typically cost?

Freakin
02-18-2005, 03:32 AM
Typically around 4-500 for a mid-range TV.

Freakin

ArchAngel71857
02-18-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

why?

-AA

LALDAAS
02-18-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

why?

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

No they dont its a joke. HDTV isnt that cool in my area anyway (aside from DVD's)

I am not sure its worth the loot. I have comcast and they currently only offer like 12 channels in HD and half of them suck.

I got lucky and was wondering through costco one day and picked up a 52" sony HDTV for $699 it was the floor model.

I didnt receive any warranty but nearly a year later the bitch still works like a charm.

JoeU
02-18-2005, 06:09 PM
First of all, you suck. I can't believe you didn't ask me about this one.

Secondly, our friend Mr Carnwright has a front projection tv, HD capable, with a HD tuner and reception through COX cable.

I have to have it. According to him, they weren't that expensive. Here is a link to one he found that is better than the one he has.

http://shop.vendio.com/InfoPlus/item/748538146/index.html?s=1108292975

Joe

wonderwes
02-18-2005, 06:24 PM
You will by far get the most HD channels on DirecTv. They are even adding more channels with their new satelittes scheduled to launch into space. I would advise not being cheap on an HDTV. Price really does mean everything in this market. I would at least try to pay $1500 on it. A sharp hdtv and a mitsuibishi hdtv might be the exact same size with similar specs, but there is an excellent reason why the Mitsubishi would be $700-800 higher. Brand names do make a difference.

Try classified ads and see if someone in trying to get rid of theirs. Any HDTV with a new DLP chip is going to be far better in picture quality than the previous generation.

gvibes
02-18-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the TV you buy. For under 1000 you will be getting a HDTV ready TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true.

You can find the following (highly reviewed) TV at your local Wal-Mart for 650-700.

Sanyo HD (http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/televisions/digital/index.cfm?productID=905)

astroglide
02-18-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will by far get the most HD channels on DirecTv

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.voom.com/

getting something smaller than 42" is criminal for hd unless you're sitting 1 foot away from the television. you want a large, clear picture and a wide viewing angle otherwise you won't be able to see the details, and details are the big deal. there's not much you can do with $1000. but if that's what i had to spend i'd get a 30" direct view widescreen crt with a builtin atsc tuner, should be in that range. it is gonna be really small for sd content though. since that's probably going to be the bulk of your viewing you could consider something like a 32-36" 4:3 set, but then you get to be slightly concerned about burning in black bars as you start watching more and more ws stuff and you're assured that your set will be not-so-desirable even for other rooms in your place when you've retired it. if your local cable company has good+local hd programming you can get by without a tuner.

the 'bad for video games' comments are ridiculously subjective because of the huge differences in the types of possible tvs (direct view crt, rear projection crt, front projection dlp or lcd, rear projection dlp or lcd, flat panel plasma or lcd, various crap like lcos, etc). they could be talking about brightness/contrast, burn-in, or god knows what and it's not applicable to every type of set. generally speaking it seems like most people in OOT don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to televisions but talk about it authoritatively because they happened to buy one.

avsforum.com is great but it's not very well organized for newbies. i would hit cnet to get up to speed on the basics/reviews.

youtalkfunny
02-18-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's not much you can do with $1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I want something in the 51" neighborhood.

How much?

hoyaboy1
02-18-2005, 08:14 PM
I still can't believe you like Zab Judah.

JTG51
02-19-2005, 01:20 AM
"First of all, you suck. I can't believe you didn't ask me about this one. "

I didn't know you're an HDTV expert since, you know, you don't have an HDTV.

astroglide
02-19-2005, 02:42 AM
what's not to like about zab judah?

JoeU
02-20-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know you're an HDTV expert since, you know, you don't have an HDTV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorta hooked up from my "Nobody Beats the WIZ" days. If you want, I can have the regional rep from Mitsubishi call you and tell you all you need to know about HDTV. I still have his home number and talk to him every now and again.

Joe