PDA

View Full Version : 65s on the BB and I call on every street

billyjex
02-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm sure I didn't play the optimally, in fact I might not have played it good on any of the streets. I'm wondering what's a better line here..

The SB has been at my table a couple orbits.. he seems reasonable, not too loose, or passive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

I figure a call here is OK with the odds I'm getting assuming every limper calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Gutshot+backdoor. I feel if I'm going to continue with this hand I should raise here, correct? Or is this a fold?

Turn: (7 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds.

Now I've got a pair...

River: (9 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

I figure he'll keep betting his overcards enough to warrant a call with 10 to 1? Or is this a fold?

billyjex
02-17-2005, 10:16 PM
*Bump* before this post drops into oblivion.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 10:22 PM
flop is good, you want your opponents to help pay for you to draw on the turn so a raise is definitely not correct.

Turn is questionable. IMO you only have 5 clean outs (3 sevens and 2 fives). I'll probably call this.

River, I have a hard time calling. He bets out of position the whole hand against a large field. Overcards are certainly not his only likely holding. I can find a fold on this river.

flair1239
02-18-2005, 11:58 AM
PF: I think it is fine.

The flop is close IMO between calling and folding. I am giving you 5.5 outs, but I think you have to discount the gutshot a little bit because a (7) could complete a straight for JT or set up a redraw for somebody with a T. But even then you have odds to call. The thing that makes it close for me is that I really do not want to see a raise behind me.

I don't like raising the flop, because you don't have anything to protect right now. I also don't think you can expect everyone to fold behind you, so you are not buying the button. Also with this hand I don't think you mind passive company.

On the turn my line would be to raise and fold to a three-bet. If he simply called my raise, I would check behind him on the river. If he bet the river, I would probably fold.

I would call this river. The hands that have you beat right now, that a reasonable player would raise against limpers out of the SB are 88-AA. You are ahead of any overcard combination.

spydog
02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Consider raising the turn with the intent of checking behind on the river. You have the odds to call the turn and you might get any 8, weak 9, or overcards to fold. Plus, you might have the best hand.

The flop call is very thin considering you have 3 people to act behind you. I'm not raising in this spot, either.

27offsooot
02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Flop is tough. I tend to fold with so many left to act behind, but i don't hate calling.
You need to raise the turn. Call a 3-bet, fold the river UI or check behind if he calls the river and checks to you. Fold if he pulls a SNG.

chief444
02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I think I would raise the turn here. It's a decent pot, you may have the best hand, and there are a lot of cards you wouldn't mind seeing hit the muck. You won't always be 3-bet by an overpair and you can check behind on the river unimproved.

SparkyDog
02-18-2005, 12:13 PM
I agree with you on the flop, except a lean a little more towards folding. I'd call closing the action however. Raising is probably the worst of the three options I think.

Folding to a three-bet on the turn is terrible though. What do you think he has that is so strong that Hero doesn't have live outs against? He'd be getting 12-1 on a gutshot and pair outs. I'd raise the turn though, and check behind on the river UI, since I think SB will shut down to aggression here. SB is almost certainly not three-betting this turn, even with high PP like AA or KK. You may clean up some outs by folding out the players behind you too.

Since you flat called the turn, a call on the river is alright, I think. Sometimes players do get carried away and just go on auto-bet.

SparkyDog
02-18-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
flop is good, you want your opponents to help pay for you to draw on the turn so a raise is definitely not correct.

Turn is questionable. IMO you only have 5 clean outs (3 sevens and 2 fives). I'll probably call this.

River, I have a hard time calling. He bets out of position the whole hand against a large field. Overcards are certainly not his only likely holding. I can find a fold on this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This river is defintely worth calling. All Villian has done is keep up his aggression. However, if Hero raises the turn with plenty of outs, it takes him out of a guessing game on the river and even when he's behind he'll draw out about 25% of the time.

What's the SB have that taints Hero's outs? I think Hero has 9 clean outs most of the time if he gets it heads-up by raising the turn.

flair1239
02-18-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Folding to a three-bet on the turn is terrible though. What do you think he has that is so strong that Hero doesn't have live outs against? He'd be getting 12-1 on a gutshot and pair outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I was not taking the size of the pot into consideration when I wrote that. Mental lapse.... sorry