PDA

View Full Version : General thoughts about betting draws.

AtticusFinch
02-17-2005, 07:45 PM
How often do you find yourself with a draw to the nuts, nothing else to speak of, and a quandary as to how to continue? Say you're on the button. It's checked around to you. You have Ax of hearts, 2 hearts and no pair on the board.

I most often bet ~ half the pot here. 1 caller gives me 3/1 odds on my money, and with implied odds and folding equity, I figure this is a good play. Or is it? Lately I've started to suspect that this is actually a leak for me. Perhaps this is because I'm inclined to do it even when out of position. Opinions?

spentrent
02-17-2005, 08:07 PM
The button bet *might* be a decent investment that allows you to see the river for free. Then again, you could just take a free card.

In an aggressive game, I might expect the player directly in front of me to be likely to open on the turn if my straight/flush card hits.

I might be inclined to think that I won't get paid off if I bet such a small amount on the flop in position and hit my card on the turn. I think top pair has to call 3 to 1 on the flop laid by a weak bet from the button.

In the name of saving chips, and the possibility of getting paid off when someone bluffs at MY draw on the turn, I think I just take the free card.