PDA

View Full Version : Can I get any recourse or am I out of luck?

Schneids
02-17-2005, 07:40 PM
At a local gas station today when I pulled the gas handle thingy up gas started spraying everywhere because a dumb fvck put the holder into place when they were done using it.

So long story short, I got gas on my car, and thanks to it bouncing off my car, onto my jeans and jacket as well.

The gas station told me if I came back Monday I could get a free car wash. They didn't offer me anything else. WTF. I'm not a very confrontational person so I left.

So now I have a pair of jeans that I cannot get the smell of gas out of, and likewise with the jacket, and a car that smells awful too and will surely be a nauseating ride for anyone that sits in the back seat.

Am I out of luck or is there anything more I can do about this?

istewart
02-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Pwn him.

Seether
02-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Im pretty sure your SOL

lucas9000
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
write a letter. no, seriously.

if there were some SERIOUS damage warranting such an extreme measure you might sue, but that's extreme. you could go to small claims court but if they bring in a lawyer you'll get beat down. realistically i'd say write a thoughtful, serious letter to some higher-up, copied to the owner/manager of the franchise. include copies of cleaning bills, and firmly request reimbursement. maybe even cc the better business bureau or something. that's probably the best you're going to do.

LockForward
02-17-2005, 07:46 PM
You can always complain and try and get more than a free car wash out of it. I doubt you have much you can do other than to accept whatever they offer to appease you.

Inthacup
02-17-2005, 07:54 PM
because a dumb fvck put the holder into place when they were done using it.

If you could prove that this is somehow against regulations(allowing holder to stay in place while not in use), then I'm sure you'll be reimbursed for whatever you want. Otherwise, I'd imagine you're SOL.

Randy_Refeld
02-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I used to manage a convenience store. On Mon go talk to the manager. If it is compnay owned store (not a franchise owned by some local prick) they will most likley make things right.

RR

Glenn
02-17-2005, 08:00 PM
How is it the gas station's fault? Are they supposed to check the holder after every customer? Two words...Full Serve.

Sponger15SB
02-17-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is it the gas station's fault? Are they supposed to check the holder after every customer? Two words...Full Serve.

[/ QUOTE ]

two more words: lazy ass

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Also, who doesn't have the pump in the tank by the time it turns on and how did you not notice that the handle was squeezed when you took it out?

Evan
02-17-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you could go to small claims court but if they bring in a lawyer you'll get beat down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought you weren't allowed to have lawyers in small claims court.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-17-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words...Full Serve.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only women and rich pricks let someone else pump their gas for them.

Glenn
02-17-2005, 08:06 PM
In new Jersey we ONLY have full serve. Our gas is also significantly cheaper than yours. Regardless, if you are going to cry when you get some gas on you, it seems like a logical solution.

Schneids
02-17-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, who doesn't have the pump in the tank by the time it turns on and how did you not notice that the handle was squeezed when you took it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ask me in a rush I'm a busy person. Putting the pump into the tank has always been the last thing I do (after pressing pay at the pump, swiping the card, and waiting for authorization). I'm guessing I'll no longer do it that way.

The employee I talked to said they often have people coming by and fvcking with their pumps so I guess it's quite common. This particular gas station isn't in a great part of town so who knows.

MelchyBeau
02-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Gas can damage the paintjob on your car btw.

Melch

Glenn
02-17-2005, 08:09 PM
PS - Only poor people and men with small penises try to convince themselves that pumping their own gas is a noble masculine endeavor.

Reef
02-17-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
write a thoughtful, serious letter to some higher-up, copied to the owner/manager of the franchise. include copies of cleaning bills, and firmly request reimbursement. maybe even cc the better business bureau or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you could go to small claims court but if they bring in a lawyer you'll get beat down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought you weren't allowed to have lawyers in small claims court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't think in Washington at least that you have them with you. We took our landlord to small claims in college, and I completely pwned them to get our damage deposit back.

Randy's suggestion is probably a good one Schneids, talk to the owner or highest manager possible. I'll bet you're out of luck though.

B Dids
02-17-2005, 08:17 PM
See if you can get them not to pop for the car wash, but the full detail. Beyond that I think you're assed out.

Homer
02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two words...Full Serve.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And everyone who lives in jersey.

Bluffoon
02-17-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two words...Full Serve.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And people who live in New Jersey

B Dids
02-17-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two words...Full Serve.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And people who live in New Jersey

[/ QUOTE ]

And Oregon.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ask me in a rush I'm a busy person. Putting the pump into the tank has always been the last thing I do (after pressing pay at the pump, swiping the card, and waiting for authorization). I'm guessing I'll no longer do it that way.

The employee I talked to said they often have people coming by and fvcking with their pumps so I guess it's quite common. This particular gas station isn't in a great part of town so who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm always trying to optimize everything, so I've found that it's faster to put the pump in the tank while you're waiting for authorization. Solves both problems.

Luv2DriveTT
02-18-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two words...Full Serve.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And everyone who lives in jersey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that remark /images/graemlins/mad.gif

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Stupendous_Man
02-18-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't ask me in a rush I'm a busy person.

(after pressing pay at the pump, swiping the card...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need to even push "pay at pump"... just swipe the card. Not being a smarta$$, just letting you know.

youtalkfunny
02-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Full serve? Must be nice to live in Jersey. I can't remember the last time I saw a full-serve pump (not counting my trip to New England last week).

How much extra for full-serve? I'd pay a few bucks to stay in my warm car, and keep that gassy smell off my hands.

GuyOnTilt
02-18-2005, 08:02 PM
How much extra for full-serve? I'd pay a few bucks to stay in my warm car, and keep that gassy smell off my hands.

It's typically ~10c more/gallon. Oregon is a full-service only state too, FWIW.

GoT

Dead
02-18-2005, 08:54 PM
So you're saying that in Oregon and New Jersey you can't pump your own gas?

stabn
02-18-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that in Oregon and New Jersey you can't pump your own gas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about NJ, but you can't in oregon. It blows. You get to pull up to a station, wait for the guy to get off his ass and get around to coming out to your car, and pay ~.10 a gallon more than you should.

When i lived in SW washington i always made sure to have a full tank before i went across the river.

hoyaboy1
02-18-2005, 09:00 PM
In my experience gas is actually cheaper than average in NJ.

stabn
02-18-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my experience gas is actually cheaper than average in NJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because it's NJ, also, NJ may have less taxes than avg. That doesn't change the fact that your gas would be even more expensive if someone else didn't pump it, just like californian's would be even more expensive if they did.

Alobar
02-18-2005, 09:06 PM
not lifting the dealy until the nozzle is in the tank would be a good place to start.

Its not really the gas stations fault, I think it was kinda nice of them to even give you anything.

That said, if you really wanted to, I'm sure you could get the gas station to show you the vehicle of the car that used that pump before (all the gas islands are under survaliance at 95% of convience stores) you, and then you could like track them down and like pour brake fluid all over their paint job or something.

Dead
02-18-2005, 11:11 PM
No I'm pretty sure that the gas station would not show you the surveillance footage of the car there before his. That would open them up to all kinds of legal hassles if mischief followed.

Alobar
02-18-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No I'm pretty sure that the gas station would not show you the surveillance footage of the car there before his. That would open them up to all kinds of legal hassles if mischief followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

youd be suprised what you can get if ure willing to give a jackson for the info

Dead
02-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Good point.

BeerMoney
02-19-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.. The gas station wasn't really negligent.. I would be pissed at the guy who did it, not the gas station.