PDA

View Full Version : help the newest of newbies

hyde
02-17-2005, 07:26 PM
I have never played O/8....am playing inthe KotZ in three hours. Do I want enough help to win.....nah, I want enough help to not look like a TOTAL Idiot. Saw a starting hand link, here, earlier today. good.
But what is an average winning hand?
If in stud H/L ...7 low is good, 6 low is very good
and Aces up is a good high......

Do the extra cards in Omaha make trips and straights teh AVERAGE hand? Flushes seem like they would be much more common...

So I'm guessing, really really guessing, that you usually need a 6 low and two pair stinks.

Thanks,
hyde

benfranklin
02-17-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm assuming that you are playing in a loose game, which is generally 5 or more people seeing the flop. You can usually assume that the nuts, as defined by the board, will be required to win. This is especially true if there are 3 or more players still in at the river, and there is any action post flop. A non-nut high is more like to win high than a non-nut low wins low.

For high, trips is a drawing hand. It rarely wins a loose game, especially if it is not top trips. A nut straight is bettable only if the board is not paired and there are not 3 of a suit on board. The idiot end of a straight (e.g., 56 in your hand and 789xx on the board) will almost always lose unless the pot is checked around on the turn and the river. If there are three of a suit on the board, assume a flush. If you have a flush, don't push it unless it is the nut flush. If the board is paired, assume a full house unless the lack of action indicates otherwise.

For low, assume that the winner will have the 2 lowest cards not on the board. If the board is 468XX, the low will be A2468. (If there is a lot of raising on the river here, it is likely that 2 players have A2 in the hole. They will be quartered: each will get half of the low half of the pot. Don't raise a multiway pot with the nut low if you are new to the game. In a 3-way pot, if you are quartered you are putting in 1/3 of the money and getting back 1/4 of it.) If the board is A27XX, the low will be A2347.

In brief, you need to flop the nuts one way or the other, or flop a good draw to the high or low nuts, or else fold.

And remember: 2 from your hand, 3 from the board. And you can use different cards from each for high and for low.

djr
02-17-2005, 07:57 PM
omaha hi/lo is a game of nuts. In terms of low, you want the nut low (which is not necessarily the wheel, remember two from your hand, 3 from the baord). If there are 3 flush cards on the board expect someone to have a flush (usually someone will have either A or K high), if the board pairs you'll probably see the winner holding a boat. Basic for newbies, don't draw to a hand that isn't the nuts. Top pair is worthless, two-pair is poor, trips are like mid pair in holdem. Straights and flushes win the majority of pots.

hyde
02-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Just what I was looking for.
Thanks both.

hyde

QuickLearner
02-17-2005, 08:31 PM
And don't be too surprised when your boat loses to a bigger one. Or worse than that, you have the nut full house and lose to quad 6s. Badger says the best book for O/8 is the Bible!

johnnybeef
02-17-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the nuts. look to build hands that have the nut/2nd nut low along with a flush preferably or a straight, top set, nut full house. if you have a nut high or low, make sure that you keep the pot multiway...

[ QUOTE ]
Do the extra cards in Omaha make trips and straights teh AVERAGE hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, to quote mark tenner, omaha is a gam3e of flushes.

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm guessing, really really guessing, that you usually need a 6 low and two pair stinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

unlike stud hi/lo, omaha is very board dependent. it is much easier to know what you are potentially up against.

hyde
02-17-2005, 10:30 PM
well that sucked. there were so many options I thought my head was going to explode. I went out 50th of 56.
I appreciate all the advice. I lost most of my stack by getting out housed. Hey that's pretty good, his house was bigger than mine, I got outhoused.....or did someone already think of that. I live on a farm, still got a few outhouses around....
Anyway, lost the rest when my flush got nutted.
It was fun. brief fun.
Maybe I'll see you around in a low $ SNG sometime.
now back to holdem

thanks again,
hyde/dr. jekyl

chaos
02-18-2005, 02:06 PM
In a loose game (5 or more players seeing the flop) the winning high and low hands are usually the nuts or close to the nuts.

The winning high hand will be approximately evenly divided between four types of hands: 1. Quads and full houses, 2. Flushes (usually the nut flush or occasionally second-nut flush. Other winning flushes are usually backdoor.), 3. Straights (most likely the nut straight), 4. Other hands (trips, top two pair, and occasionally a pair of Aces).

Winning low hands are usually the nut or second nut low. Often the low winner is splitting the low half of the pot with another low winner with the same hand.