PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide between NL PL or limit?

DRKEVDC
02-17-2005, 07:01 PM
How does one go about choosing which game is right for them. I have dabbled in all 3, studied all 3 and still don't know which one best suits my style. I tend to play tight, understand odds and try to mix my game up. Any thoughts? The limits I am talking about are 25 PL/NL or .5/1 limit Hold Em.

That guy
02-17-2005, 08:43 PM
good question... personally, I love limit for technical poker but have to admit that no-limit is a fantastic tournament game... I never play limit tourneys. NL SNG's and the smaller MTTs are fun... NL cash games are kind of a grind, in my opinion. You don't have the mathematical (logical) underpinning that limit does -- at least I haven't learned it if it does...

But I am constantly amazed just how 'swingy' all forms of poker are... it's all such a brain f_ck - which is probably what keeps it so interesting...

Goodnews
02-18-2005, 12:05 AM
I chose limit over no limit since the level of skill is very apparent and you know when you are up against a skillful player or some random fish. I didn't enjoy the swings I took in NL because alot of the time i had an urge to bluff out others all the time.

Its just personal preference, I also think there is more money to be made in limit than no limit, even though the fish swarm to the no limit tables, it can sometimes just become a hectic free for all.

Try holding QQ against 5 fish drawing for their non-overlapping outs.

PokrLikeItsProse
02-18-2005, 12:09 AM
If you find it impossible to get away from a good non-nut hand like two pair or the sucker end of a straight, then you should stay away from no-limit. If you don't have the ability to snap off a pot-sized river bluff with ace-high or bottom pair, you should stay away from no-limit.

Generally, it's a matter of mood. If I feel I am in the zone and on top of my game, I will play a limit cash game or a no limit or pot limit tournament. If I feel like playing looser than normal, I look for a passive no-limit table that I can take advantage of. If I feel like being especially crafty, I look for a short-handed limit table with four or fewer players and try to outplay them. With no particular preference, I search the limit tables first for some fish and if I don't like any of the tables, I look through the no limit lists. I feel like I can make somewhat more money playing limit suitable to my bankroll rather than no limit or pot limit, but I also feel like it can be a grind and I sometimes want to take a break from it because I also play to have fun.

CHiPS
02-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I can't stand Limit Texas Hold Em. Preflop if you have hands that play best heads up or with 2 opponents it is many times very difficult to thin the field. And having only the small bet after the flop is weak. Part of poker is being able to put some serious pressure on your opponent - sometimes for thinning the field, sometimes as a semi-bluff or bluff and sometimes just to bust their ass for the sheer fun of it. I like to be able to be agressive. Limit Hold Em in my opinion is better played more passively because you can't put any pressure on anyone. Can't stand it.

flopwell
02-21-2005, 11:42 PM
that's the exact line of thinking that I took on my first $200 and I went broke.....after I lost 3/4 of my 2nd $200 I have switched to limit and I am on the upswing. I find that in NL, at least at the lower levels $2-$25 buy-ins, I ultimately lose. I guess I just don't have the make up for it. Interestingly enough.....I do much better in the small buy in tourneys....I usually cash, but playing 2-3 hours for $2-10 earnings doesn't appeal to me.

CHiPS
02-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the note flopwell. I am new to this forum here and its a great opportunity to share ideas with people. I've been concerned for a while that I don't talk poker enough with friends and get other ideas. No Limit has a learning curve just like any game. To me the small limit games - lower than 2/4 or $100 NL are a bit of a different world with higher variations in what can happen to you. Simply because theres not that much money at stake people play differently. Also the rake is usually a higher percentage of the pots you win.

But I also think that you can get into the zone so to speak on certain games. Maybe you are in the zone for the Limit style of play - but its a different zone to play no Limit. Honestly I could never get into the zone on Limit Holdem - I did for Limit 7-Card Stud but not Hold Em. Maybe the best advice is to find a game you do well at and have fun with and while you are doing well - get the most out of it.

Isura
02-22-2005, 03:03 AM
I (like most people) started with small stakes limit hold'em. Limit is interesting when you move up, especially short-handed (5-6 max). But I recently tried NL tourneys (SNG's and MTT's). I am addicted now to MTT's and the deep theory behind it. Reads, situations, stack sizes are much more important than cards in the later stages of an NL MTT. I guess one needs to have a bit of a gambler attitude to play NL and be ready to mix it up and take risks. I haven't really tried NL cash games yet, but I hear the are a similar grind to limit cash games. Best way to find out would be to try out your options at very low limits.