PDA

View Full Version : Liberal vs Conservatives heads up tourney

sirio11
02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Somebody suggested a tourney between liberal and conservatives, and I think it was a good idea. If we have for example 11 liberals and 11 conservatives, then we play 11 heads up matches and the winning team is the one with the most matches won (World Cup of Poker model). What do you think of the idea, and most important, who's in. Lets see if we have enough people to play. Just add your name if you're interested

Conservatives

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-

Liberals

1- sirio11
2-
3-
4-
5-

Or could be as somebody suggested between Bush-supporters and Bush-bashers

Bush-supporters

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-

Bush bashers

1- sirio11
2-
3-
4-
5-

wacki
02-17-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't qualify as either, but I think this is a great idea. You should think about giving a headsup in a few other forums. Might be good, might be bad??? There are plenty of hardcore lefties/righties that don't go in this forum anymore.

Voltorb
02-17-2005, 07:05 PM
How about bush-supporters vs. bush-bashers. I'd like to go up against any group of bush-supporters, but I don't want to be labeled a liberal. Makes me feel dirty. I guess I'm assuming all conservatives support bush, which isn't true either. I just think that bush is what is really polarizing the nation, not conservatism vs. liberalism, and I think if you want the competition to get really heated and nasty, this would be the way to go.

If I had to choose, I'd go liberal too. Just for the chance at beating a bush-supporter.

sirio11
02-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Well, I don't consider myself a hardcore lefty (impossible since I'm pro-life), but if I have to chose, I play with the liberals.

David

Matty
02-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Limit or no?

Utah
02-17-2005, 07:12 PM
It would have to be limit. Liberals are too big of pussies to ever make an all-in bet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matty
02-17-2005, 07:15 PM
I think when I signed my life away to my country it was about as close to going "all in" as you can get. =]

You in?

CORed
02-17-2005, 07:21 PM
I would be willing to participate on the "bush bashers" side, but I wouldn't be comfortable participating on either the "conservative" or "liberal" side. I'm not sure what box you would put my political beliefs in. I'm sympathetic with libertarians, but I don't want to cut the government back quite as much as the strict lbertarians do. I'm pro-choice, pro-gun, environmentalist, pro-free market (mostly) and most of all pragmatist. I want political leaders that are more interested in finding solutions that work than in ideological purity. They are getting very hard to find on either side of the aisle.

Utah
02-17-2005, 07:23 PM
I can't play unless there is a libertarian faction /images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, I will play if a warm body is needed. I would probably fit a bit more on the conservative side, although only slightly. if the liberals need someone I will push my pro gay rights stance when I mock the conservative team /images/graemlins/smile.gif and of course I would then apologize for calling everyone on my team a wuss.

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 07:30 PM
im for libs/bashers, but a tournament has to be NL seriously.

Zygote
02-17-2005, 08:10 PM
you should make a team for moderates and one for independents. I think the idea is good though and would be interested in joining.

You could make the teams:

Left Team
Right Team
Middle Team
Independent Team

bholdr
02-17-2005, 08:20 PM
somebody in here's gotta have enough cred on stars to get a private tourney set up, a la the zoo tourneys. it'd be fun trying to tilt the opposition with propaganda and bush bashing/ass kissing.

The once and future king
02-17-2005, 08:26 PM
I think each game should be tied to a specific arguement.

We then use the tourneys to settle all the long standing disputes that this forum drags up agian and agian. We put all winning propositions into a sticky and they are then to go undisputed from that point onwards.

Seether
02-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I dont post much in the politics forum but Id play for the conservatives/bush supporters

Matty
02-17-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
somebody in here's gotta have enough cred on stars to get a private tourney set up, a la the zoo tourneys. it'd be fun trying to tilt the opposition with propaganda and bush bashing/ass kissing.

[/ QUOTE ]My second day with an account at stars I told them I was thinking of putting a tournament together for a bunch of friends of mine. They gave me the ability to make tournaments the next day.

CORed
02-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Agreed. I like limit for cash games, but I detest limt tournaments.

slickpoppa
02-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I think the terms liberal and conservative are too undefined. Let's simplify things and have a bush v. other tourney.

Cpt Spaulding
02-17-2005, 10:14 PM
OK, you have the makings of a good idea here... Getting as many liberals and conservatives as you can in one area. Now, if we can devise a way to kill'em all without getting caught, then you would have a winner....

whiskeytown
02-17-2005, 10:28 PM
if this goes off, put me in under "Liberal" --

you know, come to think of it, does Broken Glass Can/GWB even PLAY poker? - I've never seen him post anything with any poker content whatsoever.

RB

PhatTBoll
02-17-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont post much in the politics forum but Id play for the conservatives/bush supporters

[/ QUOTE ]

Zeno
02-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Should be no-limit live play and the groups split thusly: "Gun Nuts" Vs. "Gun Control". This would be similar to the “Liberal” Vs. “Conservative” but is much more provocative in nature, in my opinion.

I insist on live play. The outcome, obviously, is a foregone conclusion. Gun Nuts in a cakewalk, it's not even close. Do you see why?

Le Misanthrope

andyfox
02-18-2005, 03:05 AM
Because you'll shoot me if I beat you? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nicky g
02-18-2005, 08:48 AM
I'd play on the liberal/Bush bashing side, but only if it's NL or PL. I'll still lose as I play almost exclusively PLO, but I at least have some vague idea about those games, unlike limit.

elwoodblues
02-18-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We then use the tourneys to settle all the long standing disputes that this forum drags up agian and agian. We put all winning propositions into a sticky and they are then to go undisputed from that point onwards

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nicky g
02-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Or, we could have a range of different events - so one pair plays limit HE, one NLHE, one O8, one PLO etc. Which would suit me as PLO is about all I play. And then the victories are totted up. But would play in a straight NLHE toruanment too.

Cyrus
02-18-2005, 10:46 AM
How about 16 players each team, 5 k-o rounds in NLHE?

How about pro-Bush to be
Broken Glass Can,
Zaxx,
BCPVP,
Gamblor,
Kurn, son of Mogh,
wacki,
Felix Nietzsche,
Wogga,
MMMMMM,
adios,
Wake Up CALL,
Stu Pidasso,
Zeno,
El Barto,
eLROY, and
Mason Malmuth.

And anti-Bush to be
andyfox,
nickyg,
elwoodblues,
cardcounter0,
whiskeytown,
ACPlayer,
hetron,
Il Mostro,
John Cole,
Chris Alger,
Christina B,
theBruiser500,
West,
tolbiny,
PITTM, and
Ray Zee.

I didn't know where Clarkmeister or ThaSaltCracka fall.

nicky g
02-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I think people are going to have to volunteer themselves for this, both whether they play and which side they're on.

How much do we play for?

elwoodblues
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Sounds like it could be fun.

Cyrus
02-18-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think people are going to have to volunteer themselves for this.

[/ QUOTE ]I was drafting volunteers. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Get things rolling.

[ QUOTE ]
How much do we play for?

[/ QUOTE ]How about 16 T-shirts for the winners paid by the losing side? Each team to choose its preferred T-shirt inscription before the match starts.

nicky g
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Also, why aren't you on the liberals list? Not like ou to back away from a contest. Are you our coach?

Zygote
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey! I want to play too....

Also, based on what info did you allocate Ray Zee and Malmuth?

elwoodblues
02-18-2005, 11:29 AM
There are probably a lot of mislabelled folks --- for example, I don't know that Kurn would label himself as a conservative. I think he's been fairly clear that he labels himself a libertarian.

West
02-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I'd definitely try to make it for anti Bush.

Broken Glass Can
02-18-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are probably a lot of mislabelled folks --- for example, I don't know that Kurn would label himself as a conservative. I think he's been fairly clear that he labels himself a libertarian.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of libertarians were included in the pro-Bush side.

Here are some more (accuracy not guaranteed):

pro-Bush (& libertarians):

Dynasty
Utah
sklansky
jaxmike
vulturesrow
bholdr

And the anti-Bush:

John Feeney
Ed Miller
Chuck Weinstock
jokerswild
CORed
QuadsOverQuads
sirio11
sam h
AngryCola
Koller
Grey
Daliman

Broken Glass Can
02-18-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you know, come to think of it, does Broken Glass Can/GWB even PLAY poker? - I've never seen him post anything with any poker content whatsoever.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a straight beats a flush. That should prove it to ya.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MMMMMM
02-18-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, why aren't you on the liberals list? Not like ou to back away from a contest. Are you our coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Nicky I think you've finally hit the nail on the head.

My guess is that Cyrus has missed his true calling in life: to be a coach, available for coaching services on all manner of things (for a reasonable fee of, course).

Cyrus:

-Poker Coach

-Political Affairs Coach

-Probability Coach

-Sex Coach

-History Coach

-Internet Coach

-World Travel Coach

I think, that for many individuals and even small groups, Cyrus would probably make a very good coach...for a while, at least*;-)

*until they caught on, that is--at which time Cyrus would be travelling coach, with a sh*t-eating grin on his face, fee soundly in hand.

adios
02-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I'd rather play something like 5 multi-table tournaments say HOSE and NL Hold'em than an elimination heads up tourney limited to a few players. If I play Ray heads up in an NL tourney I'll try to stay even until the blinds get up there and then push every hand hoping to get lucky /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Cyrus
02-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Save it for our heads-up chatter.

Cyrus
02-18-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on what info did you allocate Ray Zee and Malmuth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strong tells.

Gamblor
02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
How about pro-Bush to be

Gamblor,

Are you insane or just extremely unobservant? Bush is retarded.

To the day I die I'll maintain that he accidently got it right in the Middle East.

KLGambiT
02-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Im an Independent conservative so i would be willing for the bush/conservative team, even though im outclassed /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Broken Glass Can
02-18-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im an Independent conservative so i would be willing for the bush/conservative team, even though im outclassed /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We need a two round tournament.

In the semi-finals:

the conservatives
vs.
the libertarians and independents

plus

the wacky left
vs.
the reasonable left (I know, I know, that's an oxymoron)

The winner of each semi-final tourny meets in the finals.

MMMMMM
02-18-2005, 06:02 PM
And of course, how could I forget...chess coach! ;-)

Zeno
02-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I like the T-shirt idea. I still lean towards the 'Gun tournament', that way we get Ray Zee (and Natedogg). But I could live with the 'conservative' label, what's in a name anyway.

Great avatar Cyrus.

I love pussycats.

-Zeno

Zeno
02-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Ed Miller is anti-Bush? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

By the way, I'm a Jeffersonian (~Libertarian).

-Zeno

andyfox
02-18-2005, 11:12 PM
We get Feeney too. Game over.

Zeno
02-19-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Game over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Counting your bullets before they hit the target is a bad habit.

Mr. Feeney scares me not. I own him at no-limit.

-Zeno

natedogg
02-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Sign me up for the anti-Bush team.

natedogg

djack
02-19-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody suggested a tourney between liberal and conservatives, and I think it was a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

My money is on the conservatives, but only if the libertarians play for the conservatives (as most real libertarians do).

slickpoppa
02-19-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody suggested a tourney between liberal and conservatives, and I think it was a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

My money is on the conservatives, but only if the libertarians play for the conservatives (as most real libertarians do).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear all this talk about all the libertarians being great players. i'll believe it when i see it

Daliman
02-19-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of libertarians were included in the pro-Bush side.

Here are some more (accuracy not guaranteed):

pro-Bush (& libertarians):

Dynasty
Utah
sklansky
jaxmike
vulturesrow
bholdr

And the anti-Bush:

John Feeney
Ed Miller
Chuck Weinstock
jokerswild
CORed
QuadsOverQuads
sirio11
sam h
AngryCola
Koller
Grey
Daliman

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes. Finally I see a BGC post I like. What's the buyin gonna be? I say 4 figures minimum. There arent too many guys on the pro-bush list that would actually play that would worry me.

Or, we could just have series of High-buyin Sit and go style tourneys with 5 from each side.

Someone PLEASE arrange this. Line em' up, I'll knock them down. First Felix, then Adios, Wacki, and I'll finish up with GWB/BGC.

Of course, most of them probably don't play anyways.

Daliman
02-19-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't qualify as either, but I think this is a great idea. You should think about giving a headsup in a few other forums. Might be good, might be bad??? There are plenty of hardcore lefties/righties that don't go in this forum anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't qualify as either? Exactly how far up there IS your head? Shall we go over yer posts for the last 9 months?

Daliman
02-19-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It would have to be limit. Liberals are too big of pussies to ever make an all-in bet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Duly noted. Anytime yer ready.

Daliman
02-19-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should be no-limit live play and the groups split thusly: "Gun Nuts" Vs. "Gun Control". This would be similar to the “Liberal” Vs. “Conservative” but is much more provocative in nature, in my opinion.

I insist on live play. The outcome, obviously, is a foregone conclusion. Gun Nuts in a cakewalk, it's not even close. Do you see why?

Le Misanthrope

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the gun nuts would of course be overaggressive and shoot themselves in the foot.

John Feeney
02-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Well, at least we'll pass the AQ test.

John Feeney
02-19-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Feeney scares me not. I own him at no-limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, you have a point there. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

However, I may insist on a stipulation that you listen to Paolo Conte CD's throughout play. That, I think, might turn the tide (not to bring up another oceanic, climate change variable but...) in my favor. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually guys, I'm pretty much a non-player these days, but I could join Cyrus as a coach!

wacki
02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't qualify as either? Exactly how far up there IS your head? Shall we go over yer posts for the last 9 months?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that post when it was Conservative vs. Liberal and not Pro-Bush vs. Anti-Bush. I stand by my statement. Btw, I'm not the biggest fan of Bush either, but I did vote for him.

hetron
02-20-2005, 02:12 AM
the Bushies have no chance. They will all have croaked from an overdose on the good Dr's "Woggaisms".

Zeno
02-20-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I may insist on a stipulation that you listen to Paolo Conte CD's throughout play. That, I think, might turn the tide....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it might turn the tide, sad to say. But I think that the only way this supposed tournament would happen is over the Internet. In which case, Paolo is a non-factor. In live play, which is what I want, you can blast Paolo away over 500 megawatt loudspeakers /images/graemlins/tongue.gif, as long as I also have the option of packing my 12-gauge pump action shotgun. Not only would the loud speakers quickly become a non-factor; I would be in a good mood to play after blasting the same to smithereens. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Let's Rock John. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Zeno

John Cole
02-20-2005, 07:18 AM
I didn't know there would be a test.

gonores
02-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Is it too late for me to get on the Conservative/Right/Bush Supporter team?

parttimepro
02-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Somehow this makes me think of Jesus and Muhammed settling things with a boxing match.

MMMMMM
02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Somehow this makes me think of Jesus and Muhammed settling things with a boxing match.

[/ QUOTE ]

That contrast pretty well illustrates what is probably the biggest difference between the two religions: Jesus was essentially a pacifist who preached (and demonstrated) turning the other cheek, and loving even those who do you harm; whereas Muhammad was a warrior who preached fighting one's enemies and the enemies of Allah.

Therefore, I don't suppose such a boxing match could ever have been held, even if historical time and circumstances had permitted.

The proposed poker match rather makes me think of times when days were old and knights were bold, and courtly disputes were determined via jousting matches. So perhaps each side should designate their Champion for a heads-up no-limit match;-)

CHiPS
02-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Actually I had another thought. It may be soon that we have to choose a new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court since current C.J. Reinquist is getting up there in age. What better way to choose the new chief justice than to give all the justices $1,000 in chips and play No Limit Texas Hold Em until one of them has all the chips - that is the new Chief Justice.

MaxPower
02-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Sign me up for the anti-bush team. I think it is a great idea.

John Feeney
02-23-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know there would be a test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a recurring nightmare I've had. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

tomdemaine
05-08-2005, 02:42 PM
How about misogynistic women haters verus baby killing satanists?