PDA

View Full Version : Milk past the expiration date

Sponger15SB
02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
So two days ago I come home from picking up my breakfast at pita pit like usual, and I pull out a 1/2 gallon of milk from my mini fridge that had been sitting in the living room for a while cause it stored beer for our party and that I had just moved back into my room last night.

Anyways, I take a drink and I think to myself....hmmm that tastes a little weird, oh well, its probably just because its a little too cold because I set the temp a little lower last night, I'll set it back right now....

Ok so I do that, take another sip of it and realize it probably wasnt the temp, and something is for sure wrong.

So I look at the expiration date: FEB 7th

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anyone ever do this?

daryn
02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
sure. it's gross.

beerbandit
02-17-2005, 04:36 PM
if my milk is chewy i usually pass

you could just mix some kahlua with, it should be ok then....right

cheers

offTopic
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
10 days is a lot, but I've found that as long as it's kept consistently cold, the lower the fat content, the longer it keeps. I usually buy 1%, and it's still sweet a week after the expiration date.

If it's gone sour, but not turned into chunks, you can still make Bisquick pancakes and the like with it.

eric5148
02-17-2005, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't drink milk even if it hadn't expired.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
10 days is a lot, but I've found that as long as it's kept consistently cold, the lower the fat content, the longer it keeps. I usually buy 1%, and it's still sweet a week after the expiration date.

If it's gone sour, but not turned into chunks, you can still make Bisquick pancakes and the like with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know poker players are stereotypically frugal, but my god man!

Freakin

offTopic
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know poker players are stereotypically frugal, but my god man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh - my GF was giving me sh[/b]it about this as well. We're both Asian (also stereotypically frugal) and she thought I was insane for cooking with the sour milk.

I have to place the blame for this squarely on the shoulders of my mom. Though we didn't often have milk go over when I was a kid, "cooking with it" was SOP. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Clarkmeister
02-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Man, if my milk gets within 2 days of expiration, it's gone.

Inthacup
02-17-2005, 06:49 PM
There are 2 things that ClarkNasty rules at:

1. Limit HE
2. Throwing out milk at the proper time

Listen to this man

Six_of_One
02-17-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. Once it gets past the expiration date, I'm afraid to even throw it out, because I'd have to smell it pouring down the sink.

I have a carton of half-and-half in my fridge right now that expired about 10 days ago...

ClarkNasty
02-17-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are 2 things that ClarkNasty rules at:

1. Limit HE

Listen to this man

[/ QUOTE ]

[rick flair] WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [/rick flair]

Sponger15SB
02-17-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seinfeld....

Ever had milk the day after the day ? Scares the hell outta you, doesn't it ? The spoon is trembling as it comes out of the bowl, "it's after the day, I don't know what the hell I'm doing here ! I don't know why I'm doing this ! I smelled it, you smell it, what is it supposed to smell like ?! I never smelled milk !"

benfranklin
02-17-2005, 07:26 PM
The date on milk is the "sell by" date, not the expiration date.

[ QUOTE ]
"Sell by" date. This tells the store how long to hold the food for sale. Don't buy the product after this date. Food sold on the "sell by " date can still be eaten later. For example, milk generally is safe and wholesome 7 to 10 days after the date on the label. This is a "sell by" date for the grocery store, not a "use by" date for the consumer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Safety (http://www.safety.com/articles/what-do-food-expiration-dates-really-mean.html)

Clarkmeister
02-17-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The date on milk is the "sell by" date, not the expiration date.

[ QUOTE ]
"Sell by" date. This tells the store how long to hold the food for sale. Don't buy the product after this date. Food sold on the "sell by " date can still be eaten later. For example, milk generally is safe and wholesome 7 to 10 days after the date on the label. This is a "sell by" date for the grocery store, not a "use by" date for the consumer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Safety (http://www.safety.com/articles/what-do-food-expiration-dates-really-mean.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, whatever. Feel free to poison yourself, I'm not falling for it!

Tyler Durden
02-17-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, if my milk gets within 2 days of expiration, it's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Too terrifying. And it sucks to get milk stuck in your teeth.

ilya
02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Let is sit for a while and you'll have kefir, a delicious Russian (Georgian?) curdled-milk beverage. It's an acquired taste sensation, but boys who drink it regularly have longer lives and penises.

Seriously though, it's surprisingly tasty + much more refreshing than milk.

TimTimSalabim
02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Buy organic milk. It lasts a lot longer and it tastes better.

Voltron87
02-17-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but boys who drink it regularly have longer lives and penises.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is your sample size?

ilya
02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but boys who drink it regularly have longer lives and penises.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is your sample size?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 8 inches.

Voltron87
02-18-2005, 12:06 AM
ahahahah, when i went to click on the thread I saw you posted last... i didn't need to read it.

But I meant how many others "boys" are in your sample size... dont misinterpret.

ilya
02-18-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ahahahah, when i went to click on the thread I saw you posted last... i didn't need to read it.

But I meant how many others "boys" are in your sample size... dont misinterpret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87
02-18-2005, 12:14 AM
i meant just for the record i was asking you personally. that should clear any ambiguity up.

TimM
02-18-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how many others "boys"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you and the other boy have a fun time comparing your penises?

ilya
02-18-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how many others "boys"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you and the other boy have a fun time comparing your penises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh oops...I missed the "other" part...

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-18-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. Once it gets past the expiration date, I'm afraid to even throw it out, because I'd have to smell it pouring down the sink.

I have a carton of half-and-half in my fridge right now that expired about 10 days ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have like 3 in there. One is from months ago.

astroglide
02-18-2005, 01:24 PM
http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/NR/rdonlyres/C9D29380-6F93-4419-9F30-29A6E09B7667/0/motts.jpg

turnipmonster
02-18-2005, 01:39 PM
let it go.

astroglide
02-18-2005, 01:43 PM
[censored] you