PDA

View Full Version : Pringles

sfer
02-17-2005, 04:19 PM
I submit that an open cylinder of Pringles cannot go unconsumed for 2 hours. Why? The same is not true for bags of potato chips. And only almost true for Cheese Doodles.

daryn
02-17-2005, 04:29 PM
there is a reason their slogan is: "once you pop you can't stop"

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I have some at work to eat with lunch each day, and it takes incredible restraint to not eat the whole can when I open it for the first time.

lighterjobs
02-17-2005, 04:32 PM
i could definately go for a while without eating a bag of chips, but i've never opened a can of pringles without finishing them off.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
It's because they put an addictive chemical in their chips that make you crave them fortnightly!

Freakin

MaxPower
02-17-2005, 04:35 PM
How about a prop bet? Put me in a room with an open can of Pringles for 2 hours.

I will do it.

sfer
02-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Hmmm. The Pringle guy does have wee, beady eyes, too.

Sponger15SB
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i could definately go for a while without eating a bag of chips, but i've never opened a can of pringles without finishing them off.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was seriously one of the reasons why i bought sour cream & onion ruffles this morning instead of pringles.

Also the same could be said for me and goldfish crackers. I used to be able to polish a box of cheezits off during my Half-Life TFC days....but no more.

beerbandit
02-17-2005, 04:38 PM
hehehe

i think thatll make me cry myself asleep tonight on my huge pilla

xadrez
02-17-2005, 04:45 PM
A friend of mine and I used to polish off an entire costco size cheezit box in one sitting.

Is it normal to want to make cheezit freebase?

Matty
02-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Pringles are closer to food than chips are. Chips are half pringle, half salty grease. I'm sure subconsiously our body is saying "okay, enough of this [censored]" once we get our salt fix from them.

BusterStacks
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Pringles are WAY worse for you than Lay's dude.

Matty
02-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Maybe so, but they don't seem that way when you're eating them.

Freakin
02-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Pringles are a compressed sodium-infused cornmeal.... those things will kill you.

Freakin

offTopic
02-17-2005, 04:56 PM
I hate Pringles. They give me the impression that someone has chewed up regular potato chips and then spit them back into uniform shapes in the can.

BusterStacks
02-17-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, in fact this thread has inspired me to buy some and consume the entire can.

jar
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah, but it was a friendly food(ishesque) factory machine, not some homeless bum.

Sponger15SB
02-17-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, in fact this thread has inspired me to buy some and consume the entire can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just stick with eating the chips, its much healthier that way.

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Mmmmm Pringles.

I've delved into my can here at work. Salty goodness.

Some fun facts:

- A serving size is 14 crisps, totaling 160 calories. At 6 servings per can, that's 960 calories! It's a meal in a can.
- Eating the whole can also equals 1020 mgs of sodium.
- There are surprisingly few ingredients. Dried potatoes, vegetable oil, wheat starch, maltodextrin, salt and dextrose.
- On the plus side, each serving is 6% of your daily recommended dose of Vitamin C. Take that orange juice!

stabn
02-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Maybe it's becaues Pringles has the least # of chips per container?

MicroBob
02-17-2005, 05:36 PM
I used to like Pringles but don't really care for them much anymore.
Not sure why.

I see those little mini-cans of Pringles in the convenience-store for $0.99 or whatever and think, "What a rip-off."

Alobar
02-17-2005, 06:09 PM
all I have to do is look at the side of the can where it lists how many calories are in the can, and that keeps me from eating them all

The Goober
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Here's my theory. It comes down to two reasons:

1) they aren't so greasy. When eating normal potato chips, you are gonna get greasy fingers. At some point, you will feel the need to clean off your hands. After cleaning your hands, you have an disincentive to go back for more. As you start to reach your fill of chips, eventually the grease factor will outweight the chip desire, usually before the bag is completely eaten. With pringles, there's virtually no reason not to eat "just one more"

2) it possible (and easy) to successfully retrieve the very last pringle, and it will often be completely intact. Assuming your rate of comsumption stays steady, its easy to progress through the can linearly w/ respect to time. With normal potato chips, you will asymptotically approach the end of bag, because as you get to the bottom the chips get smaller and harder to retrieve. Also, the greasy finger / chips eaten ratio increases as you approach the end of the bag, again creating a disincentive to eat that last little bit.

jar
02-17-2005, 08:30 PM
This is excellent analysis.

Also, I have small enough hands that I can retrieve the bottom pringles without tipping the can. I hate sharing cans of pringles with people who do not have this ability, as when I get the can back the chips usually aren't in the neat stack anymore.

craig r
02-17-2005, 09:08 PM
from what i remember though, they don't have trans fat (you didn't mention partially hydrogenated oils of any kind), so they probably are better for you than doritos and the like.

craig

Mars357
02-17-2005, 09:26 PM
When I was in 7th grade, my friend and I went to see a Boston concert. My brother and his friends went too. None of us was old enough to drive so my dad drove us in his stationwagon. My friend and I got stuck in the back fold up seat that faces backwards. On the way, he downed an entire can of Pringles. We went into the concert and had a great time. The drive home was about an hour and just as we are pulling into his driveway to drop him off he turns his head toward me and PUKES all those hot half digested Pringles all over me. The smell was aweful!!

I haven't been able to eat them since.