PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play Omaha/8 at Ameristar St. Louis?

MortalWombat
02-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi all.

I asked this question in the Brick and Mortar forum yesterday, but have not received any answers yet, so I'll try here.

Has anyone played Omaha/8 at the Ameristar in St. Louis, and if so, how do you rate the play, eg. loose/tight, good players/bad players, a mix of both, etc.

Thanks.

FeliciaLee
02-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I've only played Stud and HE there, but if the same play spills over to O8, I would expect very loose, mostly passive players.

Good luck!

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MortalWombat
02-17-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only played Stud and HE there, but if the same play spills over to O8, I would expect very loose, mostly passive players.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I've played Holdem there too (3/6) and agree with the loose/passive description for Holdem, but there is only one Omaha/8 table there (and none at Harrah's or the President), so I was wondering if the proportion of good players would be higher since it's basically the only O/8 game in town.

BDP
02-19-2005, 07:26 AM
judging from what I've seen, I'd say play is pretty loose. I've never played it but just from watching I see alot of players to the flop and sticking around until the end. Keep in mind that the majority of players are seniors who like to play until the end. I've never played the game but I do watch it at times whenever I go to Ameristar which is about 1-2 times a week.

MortalWombat
02-19-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
judging from what I've seen, I'd say play is pretty loose. I've never played it but just from watching I see alot of players to the flop and sticking around until the end. Keep in mind that the majority of players are seniors who like to play until the end. I've never played the game but I do watch it at times whenever I go to Ameristar which is about 1-2 times a week.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, it didn't go as well as I had hoped. At the start, I was up a bit, but after a while, the table really tightened up, and at the same time I had a super long spell of really crappy starting hands, so I got antsy and started playing less than ideal starting hands and would either get quartered or my (few and far between) A2's would get counterfeited leaving me with a crap high hand.

I should have quit while I was still slightly ahead or broke even and gone back to the 3/6 holdem table where I was actually making some money. I actually did eventually go back and won back about half of what I lost from the O/8 table.

It's funny, because I think being in an Omaha/8 frame of mind actually improved my Holdem game, since I would sit real tight, wait for a good starting hand, and if the flop didn't improve my hand, I would fold, otherwise I would bet.

MelchyBeau
02-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, Omaha hi lo will teach you patience if nothing else

Melch

BDP
02-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Better luck next time man! FYI they do run a 3/6 version of O8 on certain days of the week: Tuesdays and Thursdays I think but I'm not too sure so don't quote me on it. And if just regular ohmaha is your thing they run a pot limit game every monday. Of course those guys literally have thousands of dollars in front of them so you might have a tough time playing if you have slightly less /images/graemlins/wink.gif