PDA

View Full Version : I got a lot of critcism for this play

Goletada
02-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Playing Big O (5 cards instead of 4) 8 or better. 6-12, with not much raising postflop, lots of loose callers on flop/turn.

I'm on button, with 2h-3-4-Kh-Q rainbow. 4 players see an unraised flop, which is 6c-7h-Qc. Big Blind player (1st player to my left) opens, everyone calls. (Questionable call by me.)

Turn is Ace of Clubs, giving me nut low and putting a flush on the board.

BB player bets, all call to me; I raise (this is the point of controversy), all call.

River is a blank; and gets checked around.

My reasoning for raising:
1. another 2-3 is a less likely holding than A-2 or A-3, making me less likely to get quartered. Also, since A came on turn, unlikely someone called flop with only a low draw.

2. By raising turn, I have the chance of getting the river checked to me. If I am getting quartered, I don't want action on the river, where it is likely the second best high will fold.
3. Thanks to the 4 in my hand, I can't get counterfeitted, costing me the whole pot.

To me, this seemed like an easy raise, but I really don't have a very good understanding of the game, and fear I am missing something important, especially considering the strong reactions from the more experienced players at the table.

Thoughts?

Nick709
02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
I see no reason to not raise in that spot. Although the preflop call in 5 card O8 is a little iffy.

TheShootah
02-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah I don't get it....with 5 people in this pot a raise seems like the right play by far. And it's true, a 23 is unlikely in this spot unless someone was playing something like A23. I think I woulda tossed this hand PF though....hehe.. but what do I know! /images/graemlins/confused.gif