PDA

View Full Version : adding 2nd monitor, what else do I need??

Pawtucket Pat
02-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm getting ready to add the second monitor and obviously need a new video card. Can anyone help me out here? I know it needs dual DVI outputs, but what's the cheapest one that does this? Also, the computer is only for poker so should I care at all if its PCI or AGP? Lastly, I have 512 of ram, should I go to a gig? Thanks for the help.

-HB

prrthd
02-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I think the one people are getting is the GeForce 6600 GT with dual DVI outputs. Make sure you get the dual DVI's because they make the card with one dvi and one vga also.

bdk3clash
02-17-2005, 04:59 PM
You don't need a video card with dual DVI outputs to run 2 monitors--a video card with 1 VGA and 1 DVI output can run 2 monitors. If you want dual DVI output (probably a good idea for 2 2001FPs), you can search on NewEgg.com and sort by price.

PCI or AGP doesn't really matter, it just depends which your PC can handle. AGP cards are probably more readily available and I'd guess cheaper. (My PC happens to not have an AGP slot.)

Upgrading to 1 gig of RAM is probably a good idea in general, as RAM is pretty cheap and the improvement in performance will be noticeable.