HERO: checks
----- RIVER ----- [2h 9s As 7s][3d]
Ian13042: checks
HERO: bets $5
Ian13042: raises to $23
HERO: folds
Returned uncalled bets $18 to Ian13042
----- SHOW DOWN -----
Ian13042: shows [9c Kh] (A Pair of Nines, Ace high)
Ian13042 collected $22.50 from Main pot
----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot $23.50 Main pot $22.50 Rake $1
Board [2h 9s As 7s 3d]
<font color="white">
Seat 10: Ian13042 showed [9c Kh] and won ($22.50) with A Pair of Nines, Ace high
</font>

midget23
02-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Here was my thinking on the hand in case anyone is curious. I like to mix up my raising and limping with AQo thats why i didnt raise it this hand. The flop comes and i think my Q kicker is probably good, villain makes a 1 dollar bet which i read as a blocking bet on the flush draw. I raise it to 4 because i want him to call it of course but i dont want to make it that cheap for him. The turn comes a spade and he checks to me assuming i'll bet it, i check it assuming he'll bet out on the river and i'll be done with the hand. the river comes and he checks again and now i'm thinking maybe he's got TPBK so i make a 1/3 pot value bet and he comes over the top for a big reraise and i'm thinking nope, slowplayed flush, maybe a limped AK, caught 2 pair, too much beats me here to call this and i lay it down....is this terrible thinking and play?

tbach24
02-17-2005, 04:14 PM
When he checks it to you, bet the turn. When you check the turn you show you don't like your hand and a good player will push you off of it.

Wifeb123
02-17-2005, 04:27 PM
You definately have to bet the turn. You are most likely ahead. The only way you can check that is it ur pretty sure he has the flush. It would help if you knew your opponent enough to know that he frequently bets with draws. Mostly likely a bet on the turn saves you the big river raise...

Kaz The Original
02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Given the way you played it, betting that river is suicide.

37offsuit
02-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Yes, you butchered it. Bet the turn, check behind on the river if you think you're being trapped.

kurto
02-17-2005, 04:59 PM
I think it needs to be said... sometimes, you're going to get bluffed out of a hand. The only way you call his reraise is if you have a read on the guy to know he would make a lot of bluffs. Since he showed his bluff... I'm inclined to believe he may bluff a lot. Take notes on players. After a while, you should know who's going to bluff it and who's not.

Last night at .25bb nl I had pocket 10s. I limped with them. The board flopped 4-5-4. I bet the pot. The shortstack called my bet. Everyone else folded. An Ace falls. I bet again. The guy goes all in (basically doubling my bet). I thought to myself... this guy sucks. He's been playing terribly all night. He's been giving his money away. Did he really just call my bet with an overcard? As I realized he was this dumb... I almost laid it down there. Then I thought, this guy is an idiot. I know it. Its only another bet of mine. I was willing to call another bet simply because I knew the guy was 'that bad.' He could still have been betting on 2 pair.. 4s and 5s. And he was shortstacked so he didn't want to give it up. I called. River was nothing memorable. I won and laughed.

I just checked the hand history today. He had a 3-K. When the ace landed, he went all-in with the inside straight draw. He was actually worse then I gave him credit for.

I know I tangented and babbled there. But the point is... I don't think laying down to a bluff is 'butchering' a hand. Unless you knew the guy had it in him, I think a lot of people would lay down there.