PDA

View Full Version : Are you really laying that down

09-04-2002, 12:33 AM
Hello all,

A hand from Monday's 1-2PL Omaha game. Very juicy...Not unlikely for there to be a couple of $2-3000 losers in this game. Player has 8-8-7-9 no suits in the blinds. Pre-flop raise to 10 from very loose(VL)player after 3 players had limped. Friend with 8-8-7-9 calls in the blind for 8 more. First 2 limpers call $8 more and another limper re-raises to $50. This player is a rich drunk who would do this just for shits and grins. Anyway, the loose player who originally raised calls $40 more. Question #1: You are not fearful of a raise behind you...Do you call $40 more.
My friend called and other limpers folded. 3 way action for $50. Relevant stacks are (Friend=800) Rich Drunk =2000. Very loose=2000
Flop is 10-8-2 rainbow...Friend checks. Original raiser bets $50 and very loose makes it $250. Friend thinks for about 30 seconds and looks back at his hand...Thinks for another 30 and looks back again...Then MUCKS... I think that is 1 of 2 options. I would have re-raised all-in personally but what would you have done. For inquiring minds the turn was a 6 that put two diamonds out there and the river a diamond. Drunk had A_A with nut diamonds and broke loose player. Friend said he could not have gotten rich drunk out for $800 and he might be right but I still say it is the right play.. Opinions?? Very loose had 10-10-K-4 or something like that

Lurker
09-04-2002, 09:01 AM
To lay down middle set with a nut straight redraw on a rainbow flop vs. two maniacs? What the hell kinda hand was he waiting for against players like that? Situations like this to get it all in with the best of it just don't happen very often. Someone like Ignatius can give you the odds of an opponent having 10-10...very small. All-in, no hesitation.

Lurker
09-04-2002, 01:03 PM
Well, I guess J-9 would be the best straight redraw to have, but if you catch the bottom of the 9-7 (board 10-8-x) then you still have it.

09-04-2002, 06:21 PM
1. I wouldn't have called the big pre-flop raise. I'd want a higher pair so if I flop my set, it might be top-set. I'd need TT98 to call here.

2. I think your friend made a good fold here. It's likely that your friend isn't the only one who knows the rich drunk won't fold. The loose player isn't going to be bluffing him. I'd guess he made a hand and wants to get all of his money in against the rich player. Sounds alot like 10s.

Phat Mack
09-04-2002, 07:37 PM
I call pre-flop and then check raise all in on the flop. This is the hand and flop I'm looking for against Rich Drunk. I love people overplaying AA. This is all, of course, contingent upon my assessment of Very Loose.

Two things to note: 1) I go broke; 2) I've never beaten a drunk in my life.

Rebuy!

Ignatius
09-04-2002, 08:12 PM
> Someone like Ignatius can give you the odds of an opponent having 10-10...very small.

Actually not that small. In hindsight (i.e. taking the flop into account), the chance that someone else got dealt tens at a full table is about 9*3/165 or 9%. The probability that one of your two remaining opponents holds them is of course lower as tens often get folded, but I'd still figure the odds to be somewhere in the 1:20 to 1:30 range before any flop action. Since it's a bet and a raise to you and given the uncoordinated board, top-set is a very real threat here - certainly higher than 20% (and much higher against good opponents).

I would still move in here, (mostly b/c of the backup str8 draw and the looseness of the players), but I don't think it's automatic.

cu

Ignatius