PDA

View Full Version : Scotch is disgusting.

Tyler Durden
02-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't see how people can drink it. I had some Glenlivet 12 yr. last night, on the rocks, $13 a glass and it was pretty nasty, yet I somehow managed to finish it.

Do people actually like the taste? Or they just feel like a badass for drinking it?

scrub
02-17-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how people can drink it. I had some Glenlivet 12 yr. last night, on the rocks, $13 a glass and it was pretty nasty, yet I somehow managed to finish it.

Do people actually like the taste? Or they just feel like a badass for drinking it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting single malt on the rocks is not an expert play.

scrub

daryn
02-17-2005, 01:09 PM
i really do enjoy the taste. that's more than i can say for vodka, gin, rum, etc.

Two Finger
02-17-2005, 01:16 PM
This is perfect for my first post. . .

How long have you been drinking non-beer spirits? Can you drink other whiskies/bourbons? That initial bitterness just gets more and more delicious as the years go by.

As a kid, I puked drinking my dad's Crown Royal. 15 years later, Crown is like fruit juice, a little too sweet for my tastes. But that's whisky, not Scotch.

Why do so many people associate scotch w/upper white class? I'm asian and I love this stuff. . . I guess I just love booze, but give it another shot w/something milder like Glenfiddich or some maybe some softer Irish whiskies.

JW Black/Gold is a standard I keep in my bar for people who want scotch but don't know much about it.

sfer
02-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Enjoy your Zima.

Two Finger
02-17-2005, 01:18 PM
BTW, congrats on your 126th finish.

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, congrats on your 126th finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure what is funnier, that he may have been serious, or that he may have been sarcastic...

sfer
02-17-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do so many people associate scotch w/upper white class? I'm asian and I love this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That makes you unusual. That's like saying I'm Asian, I aced calculus.

Brainwalter
02-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Sarcastic is funnier.

Two Finger
02-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Sorry, I bombed out of college calc. Was too busy drinking my scotch to study.

daveymck
02-17-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the taste, its to enjoy (not on the rocks or with coke or other monstrosities people do to it) decent stuff a nice glass to round off the night cant beat it.

andyfox
02-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I like the taste. At a couple of periods in my life, I liked it way too much. It's definitely an acquired taste though. Try some Oban, it has a kind of smoky taste.

Rhone
02-17-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I like the taste. At a couple of periods in my life, I liked it way too much. It's definitely an acquired taste though. Try some Oban, it has a kind of smoky taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he didn't like Glenlivet he's not going to like Oban. I'm with the guy who suggested something milder and sweeter for the OP, like Irish (or Canadian) whiskey.

Munga30
02-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Start with a blend and work your way up to single malts. Johnny Walker Black offers good value, IMO.

LALDAAS
02-17-2005, 01:56 PM
I love it almost as much as whiskey,It's definitely an acquired taste.

I like to sit with a good cigar and sip a good glass of scotch.

LALDAAS
02-17-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Start with a blend and work your way up to single malts. Johnny Walker Black offers good value, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the value yes but blue lable is much better, Its alot smoother and its a little less of a kick in the mouth with a golf shoe.

asofel
02-17-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the value yes but blue lable is much better, Its alot smoother and its a little less of a kick in the mouth with a golf shoe.

[/ QUOTE ]

but its expensive as hell...give me a macallan 30 any day...

and for the poster mentioning scotch as upper white class, as far as stereotypes go, literally 90% of my indian friends who drink go with scotch...they've said its often passed down from father to son, etc...

me, i'm irish-italian, so i'm pretty much a whiskey-beer-wine-scotch-etc alcoholic ;-)

Tyler Durden
02-17-2005, 02:19 PM
I love beer and I like wine but I've never been big into liquor aside from my usual drink, Tangueray and tonic. I don't like SoCo or rum.

I might try some Canadian sometime but I don't care if I don't become a Scotch drinker. That will be A-OK by me.

asofel
02-17-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love beer and I like wine but I've never been big into liquor aside from my usual drink, Tangueray and tonic. I don't like SoCo or rum.

I might try some Canadian sometime but I don't care if I don't become a Scotch drinker. That will be A-OK by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

jack? cap'n morgans? grand mariner? vodka? (goose, ketel one, christiana) i stick with beer most of the time, but every now and then will throw in something to mix it up and surprise my body. 10 beers is nothing at this point...but those 2 martini's the other day...

BusterStacks
02-17-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do so many people associate scotch w/upper white class? I'm asian and I love this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
i think capt morgans is the most disgusting alcohol on the planet.

Tyler Durden
02-17-2005, 02:49 PM
I like most vodkas. I had a good bottle of Ciroc last weekend in Nashvegas.

Want to hear something weird. I don't like sake (you know the asian liquor) and I usually don't like martinis but at an Asian restaurant in Nashvegas I had a sake martini and it was really good. Weird how you can take two things you dislike on their own, put them together and it's really good. I also had some sake bombs which were awesome.

BusterStacks
02-17-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Capt Morgan's and Coke is what jesus would drink. The molecules are made for eachother dude, it's SO tasty.

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Capt Morgan's and Coke is what jesus would drink. The molecules are made for eachother dude, it's SO tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, too sweet for me. If i want mixed drinks, jackncoke or j&b & coke.

citanul
02-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Dude,

The problem with this martini business is that nowadays, "martini" just means "thing we put in a martini glass and charge you more than $8 for." My guess would be that a sake martini has no vermouth or gin in it, though it may have some vodka. See drinks like "chocolate martini," consisting of cream liquer, vodka, and chocolate liquer. Nothing martini-ish there. So yeah, saying that you don't enjoy martinis lately is like saying "there's no hard alcohol I like." meh.

On scotch: don't put ice in good scotch. Personally, I'm not a scotch drinker as my drink of choice, but I can drink it when called for. I think the key is not treating it like a beer or something else, where you may just gulp it down. Others can maybe educate more on this point than me, but I think that scotch should be drunk more at the pace of cognac or aquavit - slowly.

citanul

Shajen
02-17-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buster speaks the truth. Several times I've seen Jesus while drinking Capt and cokes. Equally tasty (since my fat ass needs diet drinks and exercise) is Capt and Diet DP.

Yum.

Gronk
02-17-2005, 03:35 PM
It really is a taste that takes a while to acquire but once you get it, boy is it good.

If you don't like the smokey taste, go for some Lagavulin. As gross as it sounds, that's got a petey taste to it. It's delicious.

Ulysses
02-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Your mom is disgusting.

Inthacup
02-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Was this at Ru Sans?

jesusarenque
02-17-2005, 04:27 PM
bourbon>scotch

MaxPower
02-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I love it. Glenlivet is not one of my favorites though and you should not drink it on the rocks. Just put a drop of water in it.

Try some 10 year-old Arbeg. That's one of my favorites and its not too expensive.

ChicagoTroy
02-17-2005, 04:48 PM
It's designed to be a Limey repellent.

offTopic
02-17-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More intensity!

http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/ce/aug/aug2/lostintranslation_150x208.jpg

beerbandit
02-17-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy your Zima.

[/ QUOTE ]
hehe

yeah, theres a reason that [censored] comes in six packs only

cheers

astroglide
02-17-2005, 05:08 PM
for relaxing times, make it suntory time.

Tyler Durden
02-17-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was this at Ru Sans?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It was great when they sang happy birthday to my friend and nobody could understand a word b/c the singer was Asian.

Good food too.

Zygote
02-17-2005, 05:54 PM
your crazy, thats a great drink. i prefer rye, but scotch is second best

rmarotti
02-18-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH.